Options

Which sports drink?

Heard that SIS do some good stuff, so peeped at their website. Confused.

Which of their drinks is the best general-purpose one? There's Go, Rego, RSP22 and various others and they all seem to target specific rather than general needs.

I like my running, but I don't think that I'm so serious an athlete (!) that I need specific before, during and after drinks. Does that mean I should stick to Lucozade Sport?

Advice from the cognoscenti appreciated. Ta in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Muttley

I just use powerade for my training runs and find it ok.

Mk
  • Options
    PSP 22 is good I too am not an "Athlete" but I do like me running and it is what I use I have had bad gastric problems with lucozade.

PSP is good because you can mix it up heavier or lighter depending on your preference, and it tastes ok as well.

lurvechild
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Muttley:
    PSP 22 is designed to replace the electrolytes, minerals etc, as well as provide complex carbohydrates to boost energy whilst running. I find it invaluable when it is hot and I have sweated loads, as it allows you to rehydrate quicker.
    Go contans a higher concentration of complex carbohydrates without the electrolytes and is designed for use when doing heavy periods of exercise.
    rego contains proteins as well as complex carbohydrates and is designed to aid recovery after long hard exercise sessions.
    I have actually all three types and use them accordingly to match the excercise. I reckon of the three the PSP22 is used the most often (But in the winter this often swaps to Go) The rego is saved for the longest runs I do.
    All three are easy on the stomach and I happen to like the tastes of them.
    If I had to take just one I would use PSP22 as it is the closest to the all-rounder that you desire.
  • Options
    Go-KL,
    I think you've got them mixed up - Go is the electolyte and carbohydrate drink designed for drinking whilst exercising, and PSP22 is the carbohydrate only drink designed for carbo-loading before exercise.

Muttley,
    I drink Go whilst running and I have found it the best out of the sports drinks (Lucozade Sport, Gatorade, High 5) that I have tried. I also drink Rego after a hard session - it seems to do the trick, but however hard you mix it, it is impossible to get rid of the slightly powdery consistency (although the taste of chocolate flavour Rego is quite pleasant).

SiS have also recently brought out Rego Rapid Recovery and Rego Nocte - but they are much more expensive than standard Rego, and are probably only worth investigating if you are really pushing the boundaries in training.

If you just want an all-round sports drink then Go is the one I would recommend (however, you probably wouldn't want to drink too much of it pre-exercise, or carbo-load with it, as it contains a fair amount of salts such as sodium).
  • Options
    I mailed SIS about suffering with cramp in the FLM and they sent me a very long written answer - which was nice and so I will use their drinks :

The problem you have is that cramp can be caused by many reasons. It
    could be that the cramp is caused by low carbohydrate levels as much as
    by low salt levels.

Research shows that you can use 60-70g of carbohydrate from your energy
    drinks every hour even though the chances are you will be burning much
    more than this. If you run GO at 6% solution (60g in a litre) then you
    will need to drink 1 litre every hour just to get 60g (225kcal).

You could run GO at 5% solution if you think that it is still too much
    energy but I believe that you will be better with a 6-8% solution.
    The carbohydrate will help keep the quality of your workouts high by
    providing the right kind of energy and will also help protect against
    cramp due to glycogen depletion.

• Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Gravy - yes you are probably right - I normally only look at the words electrolyte or energy at the top of the labels - much more informative than GO or PSP22...
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Cheers all!

I'll give Go a try.

I switched from water to Lucozade Sport for my long run last week, after suffering on the previous two. I suspect I was a bit dehydrated because it was a bit warm.

Big difference. Ran longer and harder, sweated a lot more, and didn't have the galloping munchies for the rest of the day.

Lucozade Sport is at every corner shop now, which is good but ... if I got that effect from a "generic" sports drink I figure I might do better on a "real" one.

Thanks again to all for advice.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I use lucozade sport it certainly helped on those hazy days of summer we had recently :0)
    but am relctant to change "if it aint broke ..."

tried isotar years ago comments can't be repeated on this thread
  • Options
    I use SIS PSP22 during long runs ... but normally either dilute it a bit, or have a second bottle with water to hand as well. Eg used 2 x 0.5 liters PSP22 + 2 x 0.5 litres water during last week's 20 miler with a stop half way to "reload" !

I find the GO Electrolytes great afterwards, but make me a bit queasy during a run -we're all different. And the chocolate REGO is pure luxury afterwards - but don't often indulge !