Options

Contemplating my first tri .....

our club has our tri in just over a months time. Have been a member for near enough 2 years but only done running training and races, 10ks, 10milers etc.

I havent swam since was like 16, 28 now, I have a bike and turbo trainer but its been used sparingly am I contemplating it too much and just wait till next year or another even later in the year...?

Also on same subject is there any info on transitions etc as I have no idea about them....!

Help/opinions is much appreicated!

Comments

• Options

Enter and then worry about transitions.

Im fact, just enter.... learn. amd enjoy  You wont regret it.

• Options

What distance is the tri?

If its a sprint, then yes, go for it.

If its an olympic distance, go for a swim first and see how you are, but probably yes

If its an ironman, then you might need to think a bit more carefully ..., but if you hang around the Fatman to Ironman thread, then you'll probably get roped in anyway!!

• Options

es .. not much to them really, they are a place to leave your kit (not too much of it)!!!

A few rules to follow but those are usually printed in advance

What club and what are the distances ??

• Options
    Welcome to the forum Karlarl.

Do you know the distances of the swim, bike, and run.

Also check out http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=467 for a quick guide to sprint Tri's
  • Options

Welcome Karl image

I see the witches... I mean ladies are looking after you image

Not much to add to the great advice from our seasoned pirates above, these gals know their stuff. I watched some youtube vids on transition, listened loads to Schmunks and Melds and then pretty much just went for it

Its a learning experience but fun and friendly, stick around and get involved you'll learn loads!

oh and of course stop by the Fatman to Ironman thread as suggested by Brit to meet all us newbies in one place, I did my first tri today, i survived and it's only been a matter of months (it was a sprint)

Welcome again!

• Options

thanks for replies! distances are swim 500m, bike 20k and run 5k and its Carlisle tri club!

• Options

The key I would say would be the swimming .. you need to get to the pool and see how your front crawl is
    More than likely this will need most work as your base fitness will get you round the bike & run

• Options

no is swimming pool.

will have a read of that thread now!

• Options

get it entered image I am a flippin terrible swimmer and i did my first sprint a few weeks back and i am HOOKED!!!! image

• Options

swimming pool, as melds says base will get you round the others, so I reckon you should be good as long as you haven't completely lost it swimming. How competent a swimmer were you at 16?

• Options

er i was in the top set in PE if that counts? image

basically dont want to enter and completley embarrass myself! 

• Options
    I wouldn't put it off til next year as you will only be asking the same question again.

Personally I would enter it with the view of it being fun as well as a fact-finding mission to see if you enjoy it.

You have approx 6 weeks til the day. Why not time yourself over the distances and see how you compare on last years results
  • Options

You wont

get cracking image

• Options

Get yourself entered!!! Don't go too hard on the bike and if you are a runner anyway you shouldn't have a problem. 20k on the bike wouldn't kill most relatively fit people. Don't know the course but there isn't much elevation change so should be ok.

I'm toying with doing it but probably doing the Derwent Reservoir Olympic near Hexham the weekend after. Pretty sure I could handle both but it comes down to finances so I'll have to chose one or the other.

Transition isn't the problem as long as you stick your skid lid on before getting hold of the bike and leaving it on until you are just about ready to run. Making sure you have the appropriate bits in the bag prior to leaving your house is the hard bit.

Have a go you only learn from experience but check out other threads for advice to give you some idea, always helpful advice on here. Give you a better idea for getting stuck in next year with a winters worth of proper training on the bike!!

• Options

500m swim is maybe 20 minutes at most and probably closer to 15/10 minutes in reality. Fast folk out in 7 minutes or so.

So in the big scheme of things can you swim for 10-minutes. This will not knacker you out but may leave you breathless and panicky. Ideal prep for your first T1. Please choose one of the following:

• Helmet on before t-shirt and then get t-shirt stuck on helmet
    • Take someone elses bike
    • Put bike shoes on standing up and fall over

Then settle into relaxing bike, hit T2, leave for run with bike helmet on.

Run 5k have a blast and you are hooked.

Will you finish: yes. Might you embarrass yourself: possibly but all have done so and it makes for a funny story. Will you fail to finish unlikely: this isn't a marathon, Ironman or Ultra

Enter, then practise a couple of the most obvious things. Running after the bike and getting changed. My daughter has getting changed practice at school - they call it PE kit check. I have getting changed practice and they call it T1 and T2, but she is 6.

M.eface

• Options

Maybe I've only been to friendly tri races over the years but every one usually gets a big shout out by the crowd. I give anyone a shout whatever. It better's to be doing something than sat on an ass watching Jeremy Kyle.

I couldn't believe my first tri in about 2000. There was people on all sorts of bikes, even a shopper! I found it amusing as I am from a time trial bike racing background and there are some proper equipment snobs there! It's all just about having a go. It'll probably hurt on the day and more the next 2 days but you'll get a great feeling at finishing and you'll just want more

• Options

maybe im just over doubting myself too much. entry forms been printed and will get it done tomorrow, honestly....!

it best to purchase a tri suit, goggles etc? or just wear whatever?

• Options
    Karlarl wrote (see)

er i was in the top set in PE if that counts? image

basically dont want to enter and completley embarrass myself! 

that counts - get entered and get swimming and reading...

• Options
    'My first Tri in 2000'

Erm, may I just as you don't look old enough.
  • Options
    No special gear necessarily needed for first one. Swim in trunks, run into T1, chuck on shorts and T, shoes, skid lid, grab bike. Out on bike.

Come back from bike, T2, rack bike, remove helmet, go out on run.

Finish run, grab medal and event T and smile for the rest of the day
  • Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    , remove helmet, go out on run.

Why did you have to remind him of that bit - always the funniest part of the day.

• Options

Karlarl - just go for it and don't worry about embarrassing yourself, tris are loads of fun even when you're fairly crap at them! Get in some swimming practice to make sure you still remember how and definitely get yourself a pair of goggles, but apart from that no fancy kit required.

I did my first tri a couple of months ago in a very unflattering secondhand suit on my tatty old mountain bike and with a borrowed helmet. Was obviously a clueless newbie at what turned out to be rather a 'serious' event and everyone was really friendly and not at all up themselves, even though most of them had bikes that cost more than my car!

• Options
    'My first Tri in 2000'

Is that directed at me???

I'll have you know I did my first push bike race in 1985 aged 14 and I'm not a kick in the ass off 42!!! Anyhoos I'll take it as a compliment if it was directed at me thanksimage

• Options

Hi Karlarl, and welcome.

I'm doing my first tri next month, and have had loads of great advice from the lovely people on here.  
    I also worry about making a tit of myself, but I am really looking forward to the day. 

May I just say that I am bloody amazed that gastank hasn't signed you up for IM next year.  
    You feeling ok, gas?  Or is this the stealth approach? 

• Options
    chilliboy70 wrote (see)
    'My first Tri in 2000'

I'll have you know I did my first push bike race in 1985 aged 14 and I'm not a kick in the ass off 42!!! Anyhoos I'll take it as a compliment if it was directed at me thanksimage

That was directed at you and it was, indeed, a compliment.  I would have said early to mid-thirties, so you're looking good image

• Options

Like Nurse I'm doing my first tri next month, and am also really looking forward to it.

I hadn't swum much until about 6 weeks ago. I could only do 1 or 2 lengths and needed to catch my breath, but can do a mile now - I bet you'll make loads of progress really quickly, especially with an event to aim for.

Not so bothered about the transitions now - my friend watched one last year where one lady got out of the pool and had a shower before going on her bike!

• Options

I did my first sprint Tri in April at Kendal and bloody loved it even though I almost drowned in the pool, my gears kept slipping on the bike and I ran with a stress fracture in my leg! lol 

• Options
    chilliboy70 wrote (see)
    'My first Tri in 2000'

That was directed at you and it was, indeed, a compliment.  I would have said early to mid-thirties, so you're looking good image

Thanks Schmunks :beems like a little kid:

• Options

No need to worry about looking a fool - everyone else will be focused on what they are doing, not you.