Options

Fell Running

Comments

• Options
    well done haile mate on the fred witton.
    total respect for you there.
    have a good rest now and maybe we see you on the fells soon
  • Options
    haile understand there was a bit of carnage thrown in as well. Did many come of there bikes then
  • Options
    Well done Haile, just read your report. Think I'll stick to running tho much safer. Why do they think you look like Jo Brand :)
  • Options
    But can you tell jokes?
  • Options
    Darren-PB round is a lot closer for me. Got some info, tempted to give it a go next year.
  • Options
    Not so much fell running tonight, just doing a 5M road league race that is in Barnsley. Starts nicely then climbs up a couple of good hills before a long drag downhill :-(
  • Options
    just realised i have got to pace round a mate at sheffield half this sunday so no fell races for me this week, he just text me i forgot about it.
  • Options
    I was pretty worried that I might not get to the start of the Cader Idris race next week but after a weekend of running inthe new forest - 39miles in three days - my left knee feels pretty good. I'm a happy runner :-))
  • Options
    Enjoy Cader Garrett. It was my first ever fell race a few years ago. I'll be running along a canal somewhere that weekend.
  • Options
    Well done Darren on your boggy race, excellent position. love the duracell description.

Usual understated report from you Mtb, sounds pretty tough. How far was it?

Nice to meet you too Haile, and congrats on the Fred Whitton.

I did report on 3 peaks on training; basically did what I set out to do, namely complete, it was hard, 5.19 was within the 5.30 I wanted. Happy with that especially having been ill the week leading up to race.

Loz, did you do fairfield today?
  • Options
    Report (copied from Training thread) from Fairfield Horseshoe fell race:

9 miles/3000 ft ascent though change of route has it rumoured it's a 'good' 9 miles. Turned up with LAMM partner feeling distinctly unwell since we unwisely ended up having impromptu bozzy sess in the pub last night. Hence failed to do what I'd planned to, namely work out main compass bearings from Fairfield summit which is confusing and it's always always claggy when I go up Fairfield, today being no exception. Target time was 2.30.

Registration/start was 3/4 mile from car park so by the time we'd registered, gone back to the car to get changed we had to break the habit of a lifetime and warm up by jogging back to start rather briskly.

'Can't believe you've talked me into this, AND you got me p***** last night she muttered as we queued up to register. But it was her fault, really.

I expect little sympathy for the fact that the ascents up Nab Scar, Great Rigg and - finally! - Fairfield were nothing but a head-thumping ordeal; I'd brought far too little fluid and had polished off most of it by this time. The wet weather over the past week had turned the ground boggier than usual which made for graceless and rather pointless leaps over numerous puddles only to find the next one was too big to jump over. We were right at the back of the field and nothing was going to get us going any faster today. Still, the weather, though blustery, was better than the torrential rain/high winds forecast. Reached the summit in 1.20 (usually the winning time!). Somewhere in the alcohol-withered recesses of my brain I remembered that last time I'd done this route we'd ended up bearing too far west off the summit and we narrowly missed making the same mistake again, since neither of us could be ***** to consult the maps neatly tucked away in our bags.

Descents were treacherous - the start is horrible , the path steep and strewn with wet sharp stones, and this continued intermittently until the next checkpoint on Dove Crag by which time we were out of the mist and feeling the end was in sight. Still took an age to descend, and the final mile back up the track to the finish meeting the 95% of the field that, by this time, had already finished, had their tea & were wandering back to the car park chirpily cheering us along. 'Wish they'd **** off or shut up' mumbled partner who was suffering by this time but I was determined to get us in under 2.30 so carried on in army major falsetto type voice: come on, we're nearly there! Final insult was crossing a stream and gasping up short steep grassy hill to the finish line making any controlled/relaxed show of finish sprint impossible. 2.28 watch time, hm. Felt great afterwards, we would never have run anything like as hard for a training run. Now have slightly queasy feeling from having raced at high HR - at 1/2m effort or above the whole way, even when walking uphill! Bumped into guy we'd chatted to last night; similarly hungover he'd nevertheless managed a much more respectable time. Don't know final position and not sure I want to, except we weren't last.
    Definitely never drinking again. (until next time)
  • Options
    Great report SR and well done. Wish I could have been there but still got a calf niggle so playing it safe at the min. Total respect for running with a hangover. If I had a pound for every time I've done that I'd be extremely rich. Always have a carp run tho.
  • Options
    after breaking my PB at sheffield half last sun 1hr 23 35
    i did the hilly 100 mile relay race with our club today.
    leg 4 for me
    hardest leg with loads of steep climbs, i get roped into it
    nice run but the weather was horrid, rain was bouncin of the road all 10 miles, no water neede i JUST STUCK MY TONGUE OUT AND SWALLOWED.
    club run on tues, and maybe shining tor on wednesday , just err indoors to persuade, funny how i mentioned that robbie williams tickets were available tonight, shes booked them so i maybe in with a chance of running these races.
    still great respect for that run SR
  • Options
    Well done Darren and SR.
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one Loz! Hope your calf gets better soon, sounds wise to give it a rest.

Congrats on your relay Darren, what's next then?

Focused on preparing for the LAMM now; got another fell run up Ill Bell in yesterday; more hill runs planned for week to come, then it'll be as good as it's gonna get. LAMM partner and I have agreed we won't get hammered the night before LAMM though.

Darren, you should come up for Kentmere horseshoe in July, it' a cracking run.
  • Options
    I assume that somebody who looks at this thread can help me out. Next week I am running the Pembrokeshire Coast Path to raise funds for Headway, if you would like to support me in this -
    Just Giving.

Or for when I have finished, advise me about nice short Fell Races in S Wales or the South West (I don't want to have to travel too far). I like the idea of Fell Running but need to do a short race before taking on the Marsden - Edale race in December to get a feel for if I really want to do it or not.

Colin
  • Options
    mmm kentmere h/shoe sounds alrate scar runner, will check it out in the fixtures list.( is it harder than ann waltz )
    after sundays relay i raced tuesday night in the summer league and then did shining tor last night, 26th place which i was pleased at, excellent course and well marshalled race, had one bad momentthough, tried to have a look at the view and ran straight into a bog waste deep, ended up with peat all over my face, race vest, down my shorts, in my hair etc etc. was a bit embarrasing going into the chip shop in buxton on the way home.

• Options
    Colin - to be honest i've not found much around South Wales (where my parents live), though that could just be that my club there doesn't seem to have fell runners in it.
    If you're round that way though, you could do worse than head for Merthyr Mawr Warren - biggest sand dune in Europe, and rather a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Entered the Cadair Idris race this Sat but wont be running. Knee's still not 100% and 3000ft ascent would be silly! So I'm going for a trail run instead. May be hilly, but nothing like a cat A fell race.
    Think I'll have a look in the FRA calendar for something in a couple of weeks. Anyone advise a good race of <15miles in two, three weeks time?
  • Options
    DG,
    I was thinking that there must be something in the valleys or Brecon Beacons, they are 'quite hilly'.
    Isn't the Merthyr Mawr Warren near Bridgend, if so I think there is a short (10k?) race there towards the end of the year.

Colin
  • Options
    Christmas Pud 10k in Merthyr Mawr - brilliant fun, and you get a christmas pud at the end, but wrong time of year for you i fear!
    Not sure about the Beacons, my parents live in Bridgend so it's a bit far from me. Try the Cardiff mara thread?
  • Options
    garret maybe you need somert a bit shorter than 15 miles mate, watch that knee.you dont want to cause a long term injury
  • Options
    Colin,

I've never done a welsh fell race, but see:

http://www.wfra.org.uk/events.php.

I believe there is also the Brecon Beacons race on the 19th August and a Black Mountains Race on 30th September - both long - but I don't seem to be able to lay my hands on my race calander at the moment for detals.
  • Options
    a nice race tomorrow at bamford
    bamford sheepdog trials fell race 4.5mls
    1000ft climb, hopefully doing it.
    start at 1.00pm
    start point bamford recreation ground.
  • Options
    Colin - loads of S Wales races - Muddlingabout has pointed you at the 'unofficial' Welsh site, see also a full/different fixture list on mynydd-du.org.uk (and don't ask why there's two!!).

BB and BM races are both 17-19 miles, seriously long affairs with smallish fields - great!

Welsh Open champs kicks off in a couple of weeks at Blaengwynfi - where??