Options

Wycombe Half Marathon 2012

13»

Comments

• Options

Lucas R - My regulars are Wokingham, Reading, Bracknell, Burnham Beeches and Down-Tow-Up-Flow (although I'm missing that one this year).  Portsmouth and Camberley used to be regulars too but they don't run anymore.  As with Stevie G - I like Wokingham too.

I've not tried Stevenage nor St Neots yet.  Las Vegas sounds good - is that the one in December with the Marathon?  I've been abroad to do Amsterdam and Palma Mallorca - they were great events.image

• Options

Blumin' eck, Stevie what a superb time.... well done.... and it was nice to meet you again at the start!!!

That hill doesnt get any easier does it (except for Stevie). Had a good race, 30 secs quicker than last year. I may have asked you, Stevie, but how much faster do you think you would finished without the hill???

Good race, v well organised, fab goody bag, decent t-shirt, parking no issue..... good weather.... not one thing you could criticise in this race.

• Options

.. did anyone think that the 8k marker was in the wrong place??? I have a feeling it was the 8k one, as I had that I ran an 8 minute mile for that kilometre, and then an 11 minute kilometre for 8 to 9 kilometres, and I felt I was running at a consistant ace at that time...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta Vole, and nice to meet you again too! Hope those hands warmed up!!

Last year i did 36:47 at wycombe and 35.20 on the flat 2 weeks later, so even though yesterday came out 36:48 i think it could have been 20secs quicker if raced differently...and perhaps aiming sub 35 elsewhere...

the 8k may well have been slightly wrong...as my 2 splits for 8th and 9th km of 3:13 and 4:21 next to each other look wild, even in a tactical battle!

30secs quicker than last year tho Voley..can't complain about that

• Options

.... no, I was pleased... Im not a quick 'un like yourself Stevie. And yes, they did warm up......  they are the last to warm up!!

So thats 1 min 20 secs on a flat course..... hmm.... quite a lot isnt it, Im meaning from the topographical point of view.....

I saw your race report on your thread.... shame about the club business sounds all v pedantic. Just rise above them, Stevie.... they can't take your placing off you... well done.. x

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta...it has been a right old downer....but i suppose when you're keen and run well some might feel it's being rubbed in their faces!

They shouldn't worry, as i look at plenty of runners faster than me and think cripes they're fast...it's all relative.

I reckon you could comfortably take 2mins off your 10k without that hill...i lost 5 1/2mins from Wokingham half to Wycombe once....if your mind isn't 100% up for it it's easy to lose time quickly.

There's some fast 10ks in oxfordshire later this year I believe...otherwise maybe Slough 10k (next to Black Park rather than dodgy Slough). Maybe give them a try.

Maybe even Wooburn 10k... 1 km hill, but you get the same hill at 9k to smash down.

• Options

Andy - the Red Rock Canyon takes place in March and is a national park about 15 miles outside of Vegas.  The scenery is spectacular.  I normally do a half in 1.45 but because of the hills it took me just under 2 hours (as well as the fact I was on a stag weekend so still drinking beer 5 hours before the race started).

St Neots must rival Wokingham as the best PB course.  The last 3 miles are steadily downhill - the race (in November) sold out within 24 hours but they do allow entry transfers.

I'll have to give Palma a try one year.  I also like the sound of the Wooburn 10k Stevie mentions.

As always I enjoyed Wycombe yesterday - brilliantly organised as usual, a real credit to Handy Cross Runners.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

there must be a tradeoff early on then lucas?

Sometimes you aren't able to capitalise on downs near the end as you're mashed!

• Options

Ended up running 10 mins quicker than my Wokingham time. Go figure image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Joe you must have had a stormer at Wycombe, or a stinker at Wokey...or just got incredibly fitter in between image

• Options

I like the third option. image 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we'll run with that one then image

• Options

Stevie - St Neots is a point-to-point so there must be some incline in those first 10 miles but my (selective) memory only remembers the nice downhill at the end.  Of my 45 HMs it's the only course I've broken 1hr 40mins...well worth the 150 mile round trip from Wycombe !

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image  Over the last couple of years I've done the 80+ mile trips to the south coast to do races in Portsmouth and Gosport, so it's not out of the question.

To be honest though, that south coast type region seems to have some of the best pb fare in the country so is worth it. When you weigh in the Victory 5, Gosport half, Eastleigh 10k, Stubbington Green 10k, great South Run, and no doubt many others, you have a stack of options

• Options

You know you what to do Marlow image