Options

How fast am I?

I been running for more than 10 years and ,believed or not, done not many races. I've try couple of times to train for a Marathon but for diferent reasons I haven't be able yet....Thing is, the other day I went to the local runners club (quite a big club) and they looked at me like a weirdo when I couldn't answer how fast I run!....I just run for fun, I said. Apparently I had to give them an answer in order to put me in a group to run with....The only answer I could think of was....well, I remember I have done some 10 K in about
47 or 50 minutes ( I dont really remember) ....Anyway....at the end they found a group for me (which I found quite slow).....and I still wondering...How fast am I?....and How important can it really be when I just run for the fun of it.

Comments

• Options
    if you are joining a club to run/train with others of equivalent standard then it is quite useful to have a rough idea. Sounds like they put you in a 9min mile group - maybe step up to the 8 min milers next time and see how that feels.. ask them your time and distance covered at the end of the session then you will have an idea of how fast you are.

once you have a few times recorded the runnersworld.com site has some pace calculators to play with so you can work out your lifetime best in advance... (alegedly).

Andy
  • Options
    Hi Arisca,
    I also am not currently a member of a running club, but have run off and on since uni. 20 years ago. I am now training in a more organised way, but still like to go out for some runs without thinking about pace, distance, heart rate or clutter my head with any other concerns.
    Racing does not have to be a requirement for a runner, but many enjoy the motivation of racing to improve and reach a target.
    Sounds like you went to an easy run night, but your club will have pace nights with interval, fartlek or other more challenging "quality" sessions.
    I think you must choose how YOU want to enjoy your running, but if you want to train effectively and improve both endurance and speed, then running suitably paced sessions with a club should help.
  • Options
    thanks guys....it kind of makes what you wrote....point taken.