Options

Sleepwalker Night Race 2012

124»

Comments

• Options

A superb race and certainly tougher than last year. It's reassuring to be part of something that is not 'heaith and safety' mad, and instead allows individuals to make their own risk assessments.

A huge thanks to the organisers and looking forward to next year.

• Options
    Exhausting, challenging, disorientating and a little scary in places. What more can I say except what a refreshingly unique race.

What amazes me about Sleepwalker is how much I dread it the morning before the race, then how I relish it as it begins. Yes I couldn't wait for the madness to end on top of that notorious moorland section and couldn't stop thinking about the tea and cakes awaiting me at the finish, but I'm sitting here now and everything seems depressingly 'normal'.

Thanks to anyone I followed, anyone who shared a word of encouragement on the course and most of all the organisers and marshals who did and always do such a sterling job.

Roll on Sleepwalker 2013!
  • Options

I put the results into a spreadsheet (Excel - xlsx) and put in last year's as well.  There's a basic comparison as well on names, I'm sure it won't be quite right with spelling variations etc.  Here if you're interested:

SleepwalkerAnalysis.xlsx

thanks again to the organisers and also to the general friendliness of everyone involved.

i got much too wet and cold so would welcome kit recommendations from anyone, my wet foot was basically numb for a good long way.  Also anything similar to have a go at?

The only thing similar in intensity coupled with low key friendliness I've done is the http://www.manchesterrag.com/bogle/ organised by Manchester students which is completely different but also incredibly tough.

• Options

Very intresting, thanks AMac

• Options

I'd just like to echo all the thanks to Duncan and the team of marshalls and helpers. It's an awesome race, there should be more of these. On the subject of safety, you're probably more "at risk" staying home and making a cup of tea or having a bath. I'll definitely be back for more next year. That was the hardest sleepwalker I've taken part in, in terms of weather and the conditions under foot. Well done to everyone who took part. Bring on next year for sure.

• Options

I'm already looking forward to next year.........wasn't very fit this year but plans are for a good year next year

• Options

Despite the same thought "I'm not doing this again" as I had in 2011 floating through my mind on the way back down the Brinore towards the end, I expect I'll be back again next year.

It's a one-of-a-kind event after all image

• Options

I just hope the numbers don't falter down any more and it becomes impossible to put on, but how do you encourage people to take part without somebody thinking it's a walk in the park and getting hypothermia?

• Options

"how do you encourage people to take part without somebody thinking it's a walk in the park and getting hypothermia?"

A few thoughts on that.....

1. Possibly integrate a shorter distance(s) into the main event, for people who want a taste whilst being comfortable at completing the shorter distance, and then aspire to do the main event in coming years. Either from the start to where we pop out onto the road at 055175, or the Neuadd res CP, or even Dolygaer CP. They will need a ride back though! It could pull in some extra entries.

2. Possibly run a volountry buddy system for inexperienced people running the full course for the first time, especially from CP3 to CP4, but would need to be matched carefully, or someone being willing to maybe sacrifice their race time!

3. Perform 100% kit check for inexperienced first timers.

4. Add in the spare warm/dry top into the min kit list, so if need be can remove wet top and have a dry one to hand.

just thinking out loud.

• Options
    Put better information on the website.
  • Options

Perhaps it could be held in daylight earlier in the year so that people could get an idea of the course and then decide if they want to do the night run.

• Options

those are clever ideas - the buddy thing might help but it's a big commitment isn't it - to decide well ahead that even if the mood takes you you're not going to go all out, or of course the fear that if you're not as fit as you expect you're going to slow people down.  It was interesting that there was so much variation in times between 2011 and 2012, some people much better, some people much worse.  I wonder if that was what they expected.

• Options
    This race was my first but not my last I hope.I've already said on the Snowdonia marathon forum about this race for next year hope few more could rave about it on other forum sites.also put some flyers out on similar races.would also like to do this on a summer night perhaps then peoplewould do it again in Nov
  • Options

on a summer night you would have to wait till late to start in the dark ...........

I wa almost put off this race because of the lack of imformation on the website............but i had heard of it previously and really wanted to do it.....

• Options

Alasdair,

Ran with two friends who had never done anything like the sleepwalker before quote from them was " awesome "

Stayed with them till CP4, next year will run on my own.

• Options

i even came up with a name for a summer version (though it fits better for a daylight one)... daydreamer

it seems odd that it doesn't get one mention on the fellrunner offical forum; I would have thought there were plenty of people from that speciality to be interested, but it might not have the right credentials or something

• Options

you could have a summer/autumn event where you start in the light but finish in the dark. obviously it's not going to be the same for everyone as the fleet of foot probably wouldn't do much in the dark but it would give those who would like to try the sleepwalker a flavour of what it would be like. try to time it so that the night part would be CP 4 to the finish, so at least you would be familiar with the terrain as you'd already run it a few hours earlier. there's an event similar next june in the same area, mountain midnight marathon (something like that) which starts in the light but most will finish in the dark.

powell1- my excuse for being slower than last year is one very small child and one slightly bigger version.not conducive to training i find.

• Options

Great feedback - its all much appreciated and I'm glad that most people enjoyed the race.

We're going to keep the Sleepwalker Night Race firmly where it is, ie at the hard end of the trail running spectrum where map reading, self reliance and a certain amount of experience are necessary to an enjoyable race.

That said, we could run a mini-Sleepwalker at the same time if there is a demand for a more beginner friendly event - I will work out a suitable route of about 1/2 marathon length and advertise this in 2013.

Your comments about website information have been noted. There have been difficulties with website updates which dont need to be gone into here - this will be improved for 2013

Regarding DayDreamer, this is a name that we have been using for 3 years now in regard to  a potential spring/summer event, originally envisaged as a Mayday race, and one which I have discussed with several runners at the event. Is there a real demand for this event in the same area when so many runners do recce runs of the Sleepwalker route anyway? We will do it, but probably in a different location...watch this space. Regarding late Summer options, the first Sleepwalker 'Midnight Marathon' was in September and started at 2100hrs going over Bwlch ar y Fan via the Roman Road - some of you may well remember it and be glad we weren't using that route last Saturday!

Thanks again to everyone who braved the weather to make Sleepwalker 2012 such a success. We hope to see you next time, and if you know anyone who is 'thinking about it', remember we can provide a variety of outdoor training, especially map and compass, either to individuals or clubs. If you or your friends need more information please visit www.northridgeadventure.co.uk

• Options

I have done the sleepwalker with my wife twice now-we ran a bit quicker last year but the slight detour and the weather slowed us this year so I am not too worried about that.  One thing I like about the race is that its a fairly intimate affair-a few hardy souls on a cold wet saturday night running for the love of a challenge-the map is up a long time before so no one says that they don't have the chance to practice the route if they want and if you don't think you can achieve after a recce in the day it then don't enter-harsh but ultimately true.  I echo Duncans comments that this race should stay as it is-if things weren't hard they wouldn't be worth achieving and if that is comprimised then the integrity of the race will go with it-of course this is only my opinion but it is a well anticipated race in my house and we are under no illiusion of the challenges it will bring-long may the sleepwalker challenge the nutters who would rather face 20 miles of grimness than the x factor and strictly come dancing!!!image

• Options

I know at least two people who would be interested in a mini-sleepwalker, sounds like a really good idea.

• Options

Stacey, well said.

• Options

I was also asked by a few Freinds if a shorter race was available on the same night, as a taster and will pass on the info to them.

Also, for me personally, I very much like the event exactly the way it is, very raw and down to earth. I like the fact I sign up, pay the money, just get a route map and turn up on the day. I wouldn't like it if it was a more commerical. I pay the money to be part of an organised event, for the marshalls and lady at the finish checking your number back in on your return, and for the someone on hand who will look for you if you dont.

Living local its easy for me to recce in the day, cutting out the tramroad back and fore from Talybont to CP1, you can do a nice 12 mile loop, CP3 to CP1 to CP2 and back to CP3, and covers the trickier sections. Having said that, the recce by day helps, but does not prepare you for doing this in the dark with poor conditions, it definately gets stepped up a notch in difficulty then.

The hot bew and cakes were very very welcome at the end.

Definately see you next year.

• Options

I absolutely agree with wigwam and all the rest that said the same - I like it the way it is.  I'm just worried that if more people don't take part it won't be feasible financially.  And it's a bit more fun.  As far as I know it's pretty unique and I'm sure there are more people who would get satisfaction from getting round.

It's probably the most chatty and laughy race I do; most people say something and the number of crazy laughs along with comments along the lines of we must be crazy to do this are wonderful

• Options

Duncan- big thankyou to yourself and your team. Personally I think it's the best race on the calender, nothing can come close. Good idea for a shorter race on the same night. I've been encouraging people to give it a go since I did my first one but I think some people are wary of the distance, navigation etc. Thought it was good move to cut down on the ammount of "way markers" this year. You're right about the weather hysteria leading up to the race, the conditions under foot and during the race weren't that much different from other years (snow year excepted). Keep up the good work and I shall continue to spread the word.

• Options

The 2 runners who I ran with are still speaking to me, and are going to run it next year

they enjoyed themselves so much.