Options

How to replace oats

Over the last few months I have been eating somewhat ridiculous amounts of oats and now will sometimes eat up to 200g of dry oats in one sitting. Although it has helped me gain about 2.5kg in 3 months (going from 48kg to 50.5kg at 172cm), together with partially overcoming an aversion to sweet stuff, I feel it is a bit out of control so want to avoid them for a couple of weeks. However, I am training for a half marathon in early August (and another in mid September) and porridge/oats are my standard breakfast. My other options are more protein heavy (cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, eggs) but worry I want get enough carbohydrate particularly as I am not keen on bread. The excessive oats have increased my energy levels but often result in an upset stomach.

So any ideas on alternatives would be most welcome!

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Rice pudding?  Rice Krispies? 

Try having a look on websites aimed at people who follow a gluten-free diet for other non-wheat suggestions (although oats will still be there).

How about muesli - has some oats, but also wheat, seeds, nuts and dried fruit.

• Options

Try looking at www.nomeatathlete.com for ideas - veggie based athlete I really like the site.

What about weetabix/shredded wheat etc for breakfast and as Wilkie says fruit/nuts/seeds etc are beneficial?

Good luck!

• Options

So something carb rich but reduced sugar.

Breakfast wise maybe grainary bread? The 'real' stuff is very dense with seeds and various grains which are harder to digest and so have a lower GI level, could be eaten with a little peanut butter for taste and a small amount of protein plus nut oil.

Lunch/dinner:

Wholegrain pasta (the brown stuff rather then the dyed stuff).

Brown basmati rice (though watch your portion size!).

Quinoa is another grain to try and bulgar wheat, both are rich in carbohydrates but have a small amount of protein in, Quinoa is harder to find and you may need to look for larger supermarkets or health food types shops.

Couscous and noodles are also other options to try.