Options

Kennet and Avon canal race

Has anyone done/ doing this 56 miler by ultra run 1st sept? I can't find much information about it and was wondering how the organisation is and also how easy the navigation is as its not marked?

Comments

• Options

It is the first year that this event has taken place, so if you wan't to do it you will have to be a guinea pig. 

Canal races are seldom difficult to navigate whether they are marked or not. 

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

ok thanks, I am tempted! not sure whether to do the short distance as its a new race to see how it goes or just go for the full 56!!!

• Options

I am doing the 56 for charity, not impressed with the lack of information considering the price,Checkpoints could have grid references, postcodes nowadays for satnav.

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I think as it is a way for me to go that I'm going to see how this years race runs before giving it a go! I havent put the mileage in for the long route either!

• Options

i'm doing this one too! Hadnt realised it is the first year it is run.  a bit nervous about getting to the start line though as the london train is only getting in at 8am!  (assuming all goes to plan...)  Havent been doing the required mileage at all for this but will have to hope that guts and determination will see me through image

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you report back afterwards image
  • Options

My first ultra since the last original south downs way 80 miler around 15 years ago so should be interesting.

Your not the only one who has not done the mileage, futherst I have done is a couple of 27 milers but I never did do overmileage as I save that for the day.

See you on Saturday, you will be warming up on your run from the train.

• Options

well have wrecked my peroneal tendon so right now ive no idea if ill make it or not - all pending physio clearance tomorrow.  bu**er!

• Options
    I'm also doing the 56mile event tomorrow. I have completed in quite a few ultras the last being the well organised North Downs Way 100 three weeks ago.

I will also report on 56 mile event on the forum afterwards.
  • Options
    I did the 21 mile race today. Although this is the first year this race has been organised and I don't like to be negative, I want to raise a few 'disappointmenting aspects with the race.

- there were not enough drinks stations

- no marshals

- although it was along the canal there were point were clear directions were needed ( at several stages I had to ask passerbys if they had seen other runners going the same way!)

- there was no clear finish line (just a table were the organiser was)

- the organisers could have put a lot more effort into making it more fun

- if you rely on being cheered on by crowds - this is not the race for you!

- other than being given a number it didnt feel like a race.

- although there is some beautiful scenery running 21 miles along a canal for me became a little boring! I think this was made worse by the lack of 'race spirit', marshals and overall organisation.

I hope all the above (bar a few) is due to the race being new. Unfortunately I wouldn't do this one again...I don't think I want to see another canal for a while !
  • Options

oh dear!  The organiser kindly deferred my ultra entry until next year - i hope the above has been sorted by then!  with 56 miles i guess the chances of getting lost are more than doubled!

• Options

Jennie,

I totally agree, I completed the 56 miler and i am not exageratiing but it is the worst race of any distance I have ever entered and I been running for over 35 years.

pre race the information was lacking.

You mention the finish of the 21, the organiser decided to change the finish on the 56 during the race from the leisure centre to a point further down the canal bso myself and others ended up going over a bridge to the leisure centre, no signage again, i had to phone my wife to find the finish.ecause he thought it was more scenic.

For £56 it was a shambles, like you we went the wrong way on a number of occasions.

ill leave it there as i could go on fo quite a while.

• Options
    Hey,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way! Although I didn't think I would be having spoken to other runners at the finish line. I'm still trying to work out how they can justify ??30 as the entry fee. There out goings must have been minimal! This was the first time I've run this distance and I was really looking forward to it being a good indication of what my time might be for my first marathon next month but its not helped at all.

I'm sorry to hear you ran all that distance to find the finish line had moved - after such a distance I can only imagine you must have been pretty annoyed and I'm sure you'd seen enough scenery by then! image
  • Options

I did the 21 miles and very much enjoyed it. Thought the scenery was great, enjoyed running passed all the houseboats and interacting with walkers, cyclists etc. Got the impression it was the first race they had organised though and, inevitably, there were some issues. I hope these can be sorted out and that the event will continue in the future.

Most importantly: The website was badly designed. There were two pages of important information that I only discovered AFTER the event. This should have been more prominent and, additionally, emailed to all participants. Based on comments made above and on the day, I suspect that quite a few of us missed those pages.

If I had seen the information beforehand, I would have known:

• There weren’t any toilets at the start or along the route.
    • About some of the confusing points along the way.
    • Spacing of the water / check points and cut off times.
    • Semington water point would be unmanned.
    • We were supposed to be able to carry at least 1.5 litres of water each (most had less).
    • Race director’s name and mobile number.
    • First aid cover would NOT be provided, contrary to suggestion on the main page.

In my opinion, the following should have also been on the website and sent by email:

• Clearer instructions about parking in Bath (nothing nearby, I ended up over a mile away). 
    • A map of the route, including our water / check points. 
    • Details of permits (e.g. TRA / UK Athletics or ARC, permission from British Waterways).
    • The need to carry a map of the area or a mobile phone with GPS / mapping function.
    • The scale of the event (50 - 100 participants).

I also think that the results could have been provided within 24 hours.

Overall I liked it enough that I might consider it again for next year but, at the very least, the website and distribution of pre race information must be addressed.

• Options

Disagree with a lot of your comments for £56/30 pounds I want the organiser to organise it not me have to carry maps/gps. Its that basic, someone on the morning riding a bike ahead putting direction signs out. toilets at start and available at all the pubs, showers at the leisure centre at the finish, anyway theres most of his organising done for him in five minutes.

Prior to the event I typed in pubs along the Kennet and avon canal, job done  for the majority if not all the checkpoint, there are about 2 pages of them.

• Options

Wow. Im sorry you all felt so badly about this race but I feel inclined to defend it. I too ran the 56 mile race and loved it. I read all of the details pre race which were provided in advance, got myself a British Waterways map, kept in contact with the race organiser who was very helpful - even set up my own little list of notes from the info and laminated them to carry with me. But I realised that these were not necessary. I have no sense of direction and found the route stupidly easy to navigate. Its one straight canal route which took us through some of the most spectacular scenery. I wasn't ever bored but maybe I like canals! I felt that there were enough water stations along route to keep hydrated. I always run unsupported and have become quite self-sufficient. I carried my own goodies but stocked up at the 'manned' stations when necessary. I was greeted at these manned stations by applause from the marshalls who were absolutely wonderful, friendly and couldnt do enough for me.  This race was it's first running. Yes, the website could do with a better format but the info was there to read.  Yes, the finish did confuse me - I thought it was over at the Leisure Centre which had been stated previously in the race details but was resited and having looked at the notes again, I can see that it had been changed.  However, a quick call to the race director half a mile from the finish and he clarified where I should go.   I have run a few ultra's now - 3 this year. One being the GUCR back in June and the reason why I love them is nature of the low key, race itself. I hate the big fanfare races where you're subject to god awful crowds, confusion, noise, hideous aerobic warmups and banners advertising sports drinks. Instead I like the peace, tranquility and independence which these ultras provide.  I hope that others considering this race for next year will give it a go but do keep in mind that this is an ultra and not the London Marathon.

• Options
    Results are now on the website.
  • Options

Does anyone know if this is going ahead in 2013?  I am quite interested in giving it a go, it would be my third Ultra (first one in April 2013, second in May 2013!) and as I live along the canal in Devizes it would be an easy one for me to get to (and navigate?).  I have tried searching the web but can only find the website that relates to the 2012 race.

• Options

Will be doing this run on my own sometime soon as a training run for the TP 100.

• Options
    This year's race will be on Saturday 14th September 2013, in the same format as last year. Permission has just been granted by British Waterways and third party liability insurance will be in place.

I have taken on board the comments written by some of the competitors. I had lots of very happy runners and good feedback, but you cannot please everyone. This year's updates/developments will be much more obvious to see.

There will be signage at a few if the bridges, but a map or GPS is certainly not required, you are following one canal.

There are toilets at the start of the race but they were being redeveloped a couple of weeks before and it was only on race day when I discovered they had just reopened.

I am hoping to get more aid stations with the help of a local running club or two and a couple of pubs, so that runners go no further than 5-6 miles in between. It was made very clear on the entry form and website that runners should carry their own bottles/bladder. This is to try and almost eliminate any rubbish on the course.

Maps showing the start and finish areas, with postcodes and grid references are there on the website. I am expecting around 100 competitors at this year's race.

Please see www.ultrarun.co.uk

Rob Wood, Race Director
  • Options

I have sent 2 emails asking a few questions about parking, aid stations, having a drop bag (to collect at half way maybe??) and number of competitors. I've still not had a reply.

Reading these comments on last years race and the lack of a response sadly makes me feel doubtful - after all many races will take you to/from the start/finish within the entry fee.

So, can we shed any light, or answer these questions? Otherwise I might just give it a miss and get the bus somewhere 56 miles away and run home.

Thanks.

• Options

I'm down to run this (although i'm coming back from injury and 50/50 whether i'll make it or not).

I emailled about possibly deferring my entry to next year if i didn't get up to speed... and Rob emailled me straight back with a friendly and a not a problem email.

Very much looking forward to it, if i can get myself sorted in time.

Not sure about parking as i'm on Train to Bath, then Train back from Newbury. I know they will take a bag from the start to the finish for you (which will be great for me, having no other way of doing it). I think the idea will to be fairly self sufficient and carry enough supplies and fluid and weather suitable gear to see you through...

• Options

Good to see a few other people on here chatting about the race. I like the fact that its very low key. This will be my step up from 50k image I have emailed Rob a couple of times and always got a swift reply. Same as mentioned before, I hardly ever rely on food from aid stations I just tend to fill up on water every 10 15 miles. As for navigating, I hope that if the canal stays to one side of me then I should find the end image Thats the plan anyway. Have been chatting to last years winner and he gave me a fewpointers but nothing that hasn't really been mentioned on here. Really looking forward to it only problem is I am moving house the day before image

• Options

SUperglueboots where you travelling up from?

• Options
    pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

I did the 20 miler last year and loved it, very low key (my kind of run) was 2nd femaleimageand  was hoping to come back this year to do the 56 miler, but they moved the date to mid September and I have a marathon  the weekend before and after it, so will have to wait until next yearimage

• Options

I'm coming from Newport, South Wales so only a short journey. But booked my train back from Newbury for 6 so I'm on a time limit. Which usually wouldn't be a problem... But we'll have to see.

recovery is going well, managed a 15m then a 20m back to back this weekend without any injury niggles, so I think it's game on again image. Wanna do at least a 30 before the race. It'll have to a mini taper haha!

hopefully see you there Vicar...

• Options

I think the route should be easy to follow (I am a terrible navigator), I also think I have done some of it before as part of the Marlborough Downs Challenge a few years ago...

• Options

Superglue,

I was going to offer a lift if you were nearish to me but I am not travelling from a different countryimage

I've managed a 50k 2 weeks ago, got a 20+15 Back to back on a 60 mile week. This week i'll get up to 70 miles then look to back off a bit. I've discovered the world of treadmill running and I do 20 miles on  tuesday night. Its a bit easier on the old joints and is the only way at the moment to get in a good mileage.

Well its just nice to know I am not the only on running it image

• Options

20 miles on a treadmill is hardcore.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)

20 miles on a treadmill is hardcore.

I can think of other ways to describe it.