Options

getting back to running after 6 month out with injury

Hi

I have been out of running for 6 month started with a leg injury ,then in June broke my wrist ,it is still in plaster at the moment but I have been given the all clear to start running again ,I am running the marathon in April next year so need to get back to it.

I thought I would start with some strenght exercises in the gym and cycling on stationary bike.and thought I could start with a gentle 3 mile walk on the treadmill for a few weeks,hoping the plaster will come off on 12th September but not certain as it is the Scathoid bone and they missed it for the first 4 weeks.

any ideas would be great ,I am so frustrated with this none exercise

Comments

• Options

If they've said you can start running again, then start! Walk-run initially if you need to, or walk if it hurts when you run. Start with a gentle 15-20 minutes three times a week, if you can, then work up from there. Cycling on the stationary bike is also useful particularly if you find running jars your wrist at the moment, as you can exercise quite hard on the bike, but you need to start running again as soon as possible so you can start to increase your mileage gradually.

I was off running for four months with a foot injury, did a half-marathon a bit more than four months after re-starting, continued building mileage and ran a 50K (31 miles) 8.5 months after re-starting running. So you can be ready to run that marathon in April, but you need to start now!

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I had nine months out with a knee injury, and got back to running a couple of months ago (I'm also doing a marathon next April).

Its definitely worh getting some aerobic exercise, so the stationary bike in the gym would be good.  Before running again I had a few weeks of cycling three times a week and it defnitiely helped as its a shock to the system when you start exercising again after considerable time off.

Just don't rush back - you've got at least six months to build back up before your April marathon.  You will find it hard at first, but you wont have lost all your fitness and it will come back quicker than it would for a newbie just starting out.  But you do have to accept that you can't run the pace/distance that you did before the injury, otherwise you risk over-exertion and getting injured again.