Options

Ask the Experts: Half-Marathon Injury Prevention with Sarah Connors

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi Wolvo,

we were starting to look at quinine and injections but things settled before we had to get that far. The heat was also a big factor.

Do you change your pace a lot when you race or are you used to training at race pace? Is your lower back tight after driving travelling or do you start off to fast?

Just a few thoughts to throw into th mix!

Sarah

• Options

Thanks Sarah, I'll give a cliniband a go and work within the pain on the running front.

• Options

Wolvo

You could also get a blood test to check you have the right levels of magnesium and potassium etc.

• Options

Sarah, my train/race pace are about the same. Back is fine. I purposley started slowly yeaterday on my half and kep it that way and still cramped after 10 miles. image. nightmare!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Sarah

About 18 months, I injured my back and was out of action for a couple of months. I saw a (non-sports) Physio and he said it was a slipped disc.

I am slowly building up the mileage again now and regularly do a series of lower back stretches, which seem to help. However, every so often I get a 'twinge' and worry I'm going to be out of action again. I was wondering if you have any advice on different stretched and/or strength exercises to help here? I do know I have quite tight hamstrings.

The Physio also mentioned for me to stop cycling, as he thought that *may* be an issue as well. I have not cycled since the injury, but would like to get back into it again if possible. Again, I was wondering on your thoughts here and if it's safe to get back in the saddle.
  • Options

Yes a blood test would be a good idea but you need to make sure you get the results interpreted by someone who knows about running! Look up the normal levels on line.

• Options

Hi BigG

one of the keys to looking after your back is to have a strong core, These muscles protect your back and keep everything in normal alignment. You say you are doing back stretches but not mentioned strengthening exercises. You could do with seeing someone to help you get the back strong then you should be fine to cycle etc. The only problem with cycling is you get tight hips flexors at the front of the hip that then pulls the back tight. make sure you stretch these out after cycling and build up slowly.

It would be worth starting a Pilates class to restretngthen your back and ensure you are doing the correct exercises.

Good luck

• Options

I have been unable to run at all for over a month due to hip flexor pain. It came on gradually during July when I was doing quite high mileage training for a half marathon. I backed off but it continued to get worse until I couldnt even run a few steps without intense pain. For the past 4 weeks I have been doing a bit of cycling and stationery bike but no running/impact exercise. My hip is now much better to walk on (though still twinges when I put full weight on it) however when I try to run - even a few steps - it starts hurting immediately. How long can I expect to wait before it recovers? I have been stretching and using a foam roller, is there anything else I can do to speed things up?

Many thanks

• Options

Hi Isobel,

I would you suggest you seek help with this as you need to make sure there is nothing causing the hip flexor pain. There can sometimes be an underlying stress fracture which comes on with high mileage and causes the pain you describe. 

The other thing to check is your facet joints of your lower back that the hip flexor is attached to if these are stuck they pull the muscle tight and can cause inflammation in the muscle.

The hop test is a good guide to see if there may be a stress fracture, try hopping on the bad leg. If there is a stress fracture it can take upto 12 weeks to settle but anything from 6 weeks depending on how bad.

Good luck

• Options

Hi,

That's all we have time for. Many thanks to Sarah for her excellent advice and to all of you for posting your questions.

Best of luck with your autumn half-marathons!

• Options
    Many thanks, Sarah. I'm tracking down a Pilates class & will arrange to see a Physio.
  • Options

Wolwo and calf strain

I have been there - a few times - and I suspect, in my case (hoping the example will help), reduced calf muscle strength plus nervous energy on race days (I don't belief I get nervous anymore, but who knows, so I keep an open mind) have been the main contributory factors. Yes we say we run the same pace in racing that we run in training but who monitors that? I suspect that on the occasions of my calf cramps I ran the first 21km much more easily than I intended (and felt good about it!) but that the cramps which followed were set in place long before (during the first half). 

My response: listen to good advice and carry them out - so I try to strengthen my calves (calf raising, and dropping, no weights to start with), walking up hill, long slow hilly runs; and I try to lift weights: dead lift, squats and lunges.

My suspicion is the argument about fluids must surely show up in training as well, esp if the claim about same pace running is made. Also as regular runners (you and I?) we do do our fluids, right? BUt this is not to dismiss the advice, no! just to add my own attempts to those so you cover more bases.

Here's hoping! Good luck!

Mark

• Options

Hi Mark, many thanks for your reply. I'll look at contrentating on extra calf work. I also think i dilute my electrolytes the day before and on the day with the extra water i take on. I'll also add electrolyte tablets to a few drinks during the prep to see if that helps.