Options

Great North Run

I am a begginer runner who is doing the Great North Run in a couple of weeks. I did a 10k in June in 59 minutes and am aiming to finish GNR in less that 2 hrs 30 mins.

I have just run 10 1/2 miles in 1hr 54 on Sunday.

I plan to run 3 times a week upto the race with a 5 mile run on Tuesdays and about 7 or 8 on Thursdays with an 11 mile run on each of the next two Sundays.

Is this too much?
Should I stick to shorter runs now that i know I can run nearly the distance?
Thanks
Pete

Comments

• Options
    Pete

Well done on the 10 miler.

The normal advice is to taper before a marathon or half marathon. It goes against your instincts, but it really is the best way.

If you can run 10 miles you can run 13. You've nothing to prove to yourself. That said, I don't think 11 miles is over the top, but I would probably stick with 10 for the long runs. But after your final long run, make sure you really take your foot off the gas. 2 or 3 miles on the Tues and Weds should be fine, then give yourself two or three clear rest days before the big one.

Worth reading Hal Higdon's half marathon schedules and the accompanying advice on www.halhigdon.com

Have a good GNR. I'll be plodding round myself, desperately short of training miles due to injury. I've not run more than 7 miles in months, so you're ahead of me.

2:30 will be well within your grasp. Good luck.