Options

The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Ultra 2012

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Is this run from west to east?  If so Ivinghoe Beacon is a little bit of a punishing finish.  If it is this direction the descent into Wendover will be wild!  You'll be scattering pedestrians in all directions.

You shouldn't have nav problems in the Chilterns - the waymarks are very frequent and clear.  A lot of this section is in trees and will probably be quite muddy by now.

Look forward to seeing various of you for the full distance in Aug 2013 (east to west).

• Options

No - it starts at Ivinghoe and doesn't go all the way to Avebury, but finished at a rather nice hotel down (then up) the road from Barbury Castle.

• Options

T Rex ....will be there for the full distance in 2013image shall i bring the marmite sandwiches??

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

loulabell - at the CPs they ask what you want in your sandwiches but it might be a good idea to bring a small jar of marmite in case they haven't got it.

Can't say anything about nav on the North Wessex Downs in the day - I've only ever been up there at night when you can't often see the waymarks, and in any case there are a bewildering variety of different-coloured markers for footpaths, bridleways, permitted paths, byways open to traffic, etc as well as our friend the white acorn which all look the same at night. 

• Options

I did 10.5 miles on Saturday and 8 on Sunday - plantar fasciitis seems to have completely gone.  Exciting times!! Fingers crossed for a good week this weekend and if it's followed by a good weekend, I reckon I'll get my name down for the 3 dayer here.

Who's done this before?  What is there to do in the afternoons / evenings?  Is it a case of chilling out, scoffing as much food as possible and sleeping.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a whole lot of time 'free' at the end of each day, but I haven't done a multi-day in the UK before so would appreciate any insight!

Really hope I can make it.  Loula - possible recce on the weekend of the 27 / 28 Oct?  Just a vague idea, but doing a 15 - 20 mile section of somewhere at that end of the course could be useful for race day...would still give 2 weeks to taper and recover.

• Options

Previously there has been a talk on Saturday night - and a small prize giving ceremony.  The leisure centre had a bar - but lost it's licence, however, there is beer, cider and wine available to buy and a mini library of books related to adventure running which you can borrow. 

• Options

Sounds good B.B.H.  Have you entered?  I'm going to suck it up and just enter now - can't be bothered to wait!

• Options

James - good news about the plantar fasciitis, heres hoping all remains well and you will enter for all 3 days.

• Options

Thanks Charlotte - yup, all signed up and ready to go!  Are you in for all 3 days, I forget, sorry!

• Options

Really hope I can make it.  Loula - possible recce on the weekend of the 27 / 28 Oct?  Just a vague idea, but doing a 15 - 20 mile section of somewhere at that end of the course could be useful for race day...would still give 2 weeks to taper and recover.

i have Abingdon mara on 21st and did a section of NDWay saturday , will maybe see how i feel after Abingdon. which part are you recceing? wantage to Avebury? the only bit i need to recce is Ivinghoe to watlington really

• Options

James - have entered - just looking forward to the various forms of mud to be encountered on the way..

• Options
    Hi loula, no I only really need to recce from Ivinghoe too. That may work. Well, don't need to plan it now, but Ivinghoe to watlington would be ideal if that works.
  • Options

Not too long til this one now...I'm thinking of doing a recce (hopefully with loula if she's not just too darn knackered from Abingdonimage ) of the first day of the Druid from Ivinghoe at some point.  I realise it's getting late in the day, but I have a few free weekends so if anyone is keen, perhaps on the 27th October, let me know? 

Its' the end of the course I don't know and I've heard it's the worst signed part..and also the hilliest, but then I may not be interested to know about that!

Also, does anyone have a Garmin Forerunner?  I have the 310xt and Brian, the RO of the Druid Ultra, has sent me the gpx data of the route.  Stupid question, but can i put the route onto my watch?  What's the point? Just to follow it like a GPS so I don't get lost? Or can you then set pacings / time alerts and all that fancy jazz once it's uploaded?

Is it easy to upload?!

Questions questions!!

Well I hope trainings going well for everyone...quite looking forward to this now!

• Options

Lou - are we still thinking of recce-ing this? Or are we being sensible bearing in mind current injuries/illness, Abo, etc?!?

James - I have a Garmin - it tells me average pace, total distance and total time - apparently it will do a LOT more, but i've never bothered getting past that first screen - that tells me everything I need to know...for the rest I use a map and common sense...

Actually, on a connected note James - I've not heard that the end is the hilliest, but I have heard from a couple of people that the end is the hardest to route find? Lou and I have run from Princes Ris. to Wallingford, that was okay, and from Sparsholt Firs to the end near Avebury and I didn't think it was as hilly. Route finding wise it seemed to make sense to me, but that may have been luckimage If you're thinking of recce-ing it may make more sense to do that section, as you'll be most tired, least attentive etc?

• Options

Hi Ultrarocker,

Yeah I can use all the standard stuff on the Garmin – ave. pace and whatnot – but have no idea about uploading a route onto the watch or indeed what the point of that is!  We’ll see.  You’re right though, common sense should prevail...hopefully.

That’s interesting that you’ve heard the other end (Day 3) is more hilly…I live near Avebury and it’s certainly not ‘hilly’ as such - more “lumpy” and rolling I’d say.  I think I’ll still try and get up to Ivinghoe a couple of weeks before the race just to familiarise myself with it a little…can’t do anything but help (unless I find the going tough!) so if anyone wants to join, let me know. 

• Options
    Hey James, sorry, didn't make myself clear. I've not heard Avebury end is the hilliest, and it certainly didn't seem it when we ran there a few weeks ago? I've heard that Ivinghoe end is hillier? The section from Princes Risborough to Wallingford was hillier than the end section we ran I think, but it still wasn't too bad (my last ultra was in the Peak District so my ideas of hilly may be a bit off lol!!! image )
  • Options

James,

I have just learn't how to transfer the GPX route to my Garmin and think its brilliant. First thing you need to do is register a Garmin connect account here http://connect.garmin.com/. The sites quite confusing so if you want to give me a call I can talk you through it in about 5 minutes.

I ran the Ridgeway back in September. The last 20 miles was probably the most difficult to follow and had the least amount of signs.

• Options

james/ rocker..... im in Oxfordshire and everything is flat!! but i didnt think the last stretch from wantage to Avebury was hilly at all!! and a speedbump is hilly to me!...neither did i think there was a problem with signageimage....was i running the right event course???????

rocker whadya reckon? if i can get the sat or sun dyu think we will be ok to recce?

• Options
    Lou - errrmmm, not sure. As we've talked about a lot these last few days...end of a long season, niggles, illness etc. Why don't we see how we are Monday? Can always decide then? You know I'll come run with you any day lol, but just thinking about long term ya know!
  • Options
    Anyway, what ARE you on about?? Where you live isn't flat?? We were running up and downhill last time we were near yours!! Where I live is FLAT!!
  • Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

If it's going to be daylight then I don't think you need a recce at all, unless you're really going for a time and don't want to think about navigation at all. Having said that there are a few places you need to be aware of but provided you spend a bit of time with a map beforehand you'll be fine.

Starting from Ivinghoe the first half has more opportunities to take a wrong turn. I've got my map out and will point out where I think you need to take care:

1m in, Ridgeway comes off to the right out of the woods and downhill through a field.

Running through Tring be aware the Ridgeway comes out on the left. Easy.

Right turn just before Hastoe. you pop out of a wood and turn left, then are greeted with a road bending round to the left and a sharp right hander on the corner. You want to go right. This cost me about 2.5 miles image

Fairly easy until Wendover. Once you pop out onto the high street go left and follow straight out of town over the railway bridge. No signs on the high street so it's good to know that you just need to keep going straight. Ridgeway appears again once you cross the bridge.

At the top of the hill after Wendover you want to bear left behind the monument.

Just before Princes Risborough you cross a road and come to a gate. There is a track straight on down a hill parallel to the road, or a left turn, you want the left turn.

Out of Princes Risborough you turn left onto a road for ~800m, then turn right and continue on road for another 500m before picking the trail up again.

Easy for quite a while now, just keep going straight basically. When you cross the A4130 at Nuffield there is a pub over the road and a golf course behind it. I got a bit lost here and went to the left of the pub, I think the correct route is to the right of the pub. Either way, remember that you need to run through the golf course and into Nuffield.

Doddle from here to Goring. Cross the Thames and turn right at the top, signposted I think. Left turn shortly after, again should be signposted but just be aware you will be on road for 2.5k so don't panic that you're lost!

Again, it's simple for a good while now. There are lots of paths crossing the Ridgeway but essentially you keep going straight and it's all well signposted. You will run alongside some gallops and then meet another trail like a T junction, go right here. It is signposted but the sign isn't completely obvious.

When you get to the A34 you take the trail to the right which goes under the road. Simples. Then back to going straight.

There is a road crossing after Wantage monument. In that section there is a fairly sharp left hander with a smaller trail going straight on. Should be ok in daylight but you want to follow round to the left.

Super easy for 10m or so until the trail drops down hill and hits a road (there are lots of these before hand but this is the first one you don't just cross over and carry on). Go left here and follow the road straight for about 1m or so, crossing over the M4. Left at the junction and trail will pick up again on your right.

Straightforward until you get to the A346 at Ogbourne St George. Cross the road and follow the lane down and round the the right then left. You'll come to another T and you want to go right, should be signposted.

After a brief spell on road you turn left up a hill and come to a couple of gates next to each other. You want the on on the left which goes up the hill. Long hill image

The rest should be easy.

As for hills, there is definitely more up and down towards the start, especially into and out of towns. Nothing too scary though. The middle is mostly flat then it picks up again after Wantage. Not as steep as earl

• Options

thank you Shawk!! im going to print all that out !!image

• Options

Shawk - thanks for the above information, points to be aware of will be marked on my map. Looking at the map it appears that there is a checkpoint close to most of the areas you have mentioned, so thats added reassurance. I haven't run the first half but I have found navigation from Streatley to avebury relatively easy and well sign posted,  and I haven't had to refer to my map yet.

Looking forward to itimage

• Options

charlotte i thought the last bit was pretty straightforward tooimage looks like im gettingthe hilly bit at the start thenimage

• Options

loulabell - when I did the Ridgeway 40 I looked forward to the hills as it was my excuse to start walkingimage, are you doing the Thames Trot 50 as well?

• Options

yes!! i was thinking that the other day and discussing it with Rocker - i actually look forward to some inclines and hills  now as its a natural  pointer to walk/eat etc!

yes im doing TT50 as well, are you?

• Options

i will see you at Abingdon wont i? if i can find you-havnt felt too well these last 2/3 weeks  if im honest and have been on/off /on /off about running Abingdon as i dont want to trash myself for Druids  as im really looking forward to it.image

• Options

Loulabell - yes i am doing Abingdon and Thames Trot, hope you start to feel better soon. I am starting to feel  tired now, its been an exhausting, but succesful  year, having started ultras and triathlon this year as well as the marathon running. 

• Options

Charlotte - I'll see you at all of the above too then!!

• Options

hi charlotte, yes for me too its been an exciting year of new things , i did my first marathon and first 2 ultras too,both of increasing distance . so its been fun and a lot of learning,but like you say tiring too with all the new demands put on our bodies. still, we can say we have achieved a lot and learnt a lot and will be stronger and better in 2013image