Options

On holiday...

I'm off on holiday for 3-weeks later in the year, and wanted to know whether many people take their trainers with them?

I usually do quite active walking/hiking hols, but this one is going to be more of a sight-seeing trip, so I was wondering whether it would be feasible to fit in a few r*ns?

I doubt I'll be stopping in the same place more than a couple of nights in a row, so won't have time to explore any area well.... so I'd really like any hints or ideas on how to go about finding routes.

Comments

• Options
    YES. Take them with you. You never know what opportunities may arise. You'll kick yourself if you fancy a run but can't because you have not trainers! Even with a relaxing/sightseeing hols, think I would struggle not to run at least once or twice....
  • Options
    I love running on holiday - lots of new places to explore, change from the usual well worn routes.

As to finding routes, either buy an OS map or equivalent and plan from that, or don't worry about it: just decide how long you want to run for, go for half that time and then turn back.

Either way, happy exploring!
  • Options
    Also look at runtheplanet.com for suggestions from local runners as to the best places to go. If you don't have time to explore any area well, running is ideal to get you to see more. I find that if you make the effort to get up for an early run (not every day - it is a holiday!) you will see more of a place and what it is really like in one run than however long spent doing the usual tourist thing.

Have fun!
  • Options
    Oooh... thanks for making it sound so easy. Will def pack the muddy little beasts.
  • Options
    I took my trainers with me this year and managed to get out three times. Go for it, you never know when the chance will come along to get out and run.
  • Options
    I took my shoes on holiday this year (2 weeks). It was great. When i woke up early i went out and saw several German tourists also running. Later in the holiday, i went out a couple of evenings and met various Brits out jogging. It was all very friendly and like a secret society, when we grinned and acknowledged each other in the restaurant later in the day.
  • Options
    I took 3 pairs of shoes this year on my three week summer hols. 2 pairs of trainers to alternate and a pair of sandals to go with the kids to the beach and out at night.
    In Spain and France the GR system of routes is great for trail running, and if you are lucky there will one of these, or a related "route locale" nearby. The local tourist office may well have interesting walk or trail route maps.
    This summer I needed to get up at dawn to run before the heat, but once you get used to this you find it the best part of the day. Then the rest of the day I could devote to my family.
    The other advantage is you can really relax more during post-run recovery rather than be hunched up at a desk at work ( if this is your kind of job.
    Enjoy your holiday.
  • Options
    I took my running vset to ibiza but not my trainers

As the housemaid would have appeared to pinch my top I'm glad I didnt take them

Besides it was tooooooo hot
  • Options
    AR - agree totally. Ran most mornings at 7am on my recent trip to Gran Canaria. Meant i could sit down to a Full English, and a few hours beside the pool with the kids - and a smug grin on my face.
  • Options
    Always take the trainers ... they need a holiday too ... after a quick clean and a parasol for them to laze under all day, you can really see the bounce return to their step.

Mine seem to enjoy a wide range of destinations, and don't suffer from jet lag too badly either. Trouble only really looms if you pick up a young, classy model on your travels - causes no end of squabbling over who gets picked - and of course the others get dejected and flat when you get home over being dumped.