Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Hello everypeople,

as Pengwyn said, great start to the year at parkrun this morning. It was the best conditions we've had on the moor for quite sometime. That, and no doubt a few New Year resolutions contributed to our biggest ever turnout at 403 ! (If that seems a lot, spare a thought for the results team at Bushy, Herts who saw 1,051 parkrunners cross the line this morning!)  I got nowhere near my PPB (or even my 3rd best time) but was pleased to get under 21:30 for the first time in ages.

Hi Fiona, 40 miles already? Wow - I guess that's marathon training for you. (Insane image) Hope you've had a good weekend in Dundee.

I have entered my first races for 2013 - the Run Northumbelrand 10k series. Five races (an extra on in Ponteland having been added) this year, between April and October. Still dithering about spring half marathons; Haweswater on March 3rd, Kirkley Hall on 10th, or both ? North Tyneside will be sooner than usual this year too, as Easter Sunday is on the beautifully pallindromic 31.3.13 image

• Options

pengwyn wrote (see)

40 parkruns today (how are you doing RLTW? - Who will be first to 50?)

You will Pengwyn.  I've done naff-all recently.  We were away over Christmas and New Year and I was working today from 8am.  I haven't got an excuse for every week - but it's been hectic and I have a serious case of cba image

Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to all the new folks who have been popping in during the ballot entry.  Good luck all.

• Options

Aww - don't give up on the race, RLTW... although I have been there and know how you feel!  As Brucie would nearly say... "Keeep Running!" x

• Options

My total is 35 so I have a little bit of catching up to do. Well done on your 40 image

• Options

Afternoon everyone.

Well, all the Christmas decorations are taken down at last and are back  in the loft for another year - the place looks so drab without them  image.

Out today for 14 miles.  It looked gorgeous before I left the house, so left my gloves and ear warmers at home, but realised quite early on that it was colder than it looked so could've done with them.  Since it was the New Year and I'm officially starting marathon training I thought I'd try running a new route, and it was quite pleasant to be running somewhere different to what you're used to.

Was shattered by the end of it though.  I'm now technically tapering for the Brass Monkey half in 2 weeks - but I'm starting marathon training now too, so it's a bit confusing.

Hope everyone's well.

• Options
    During marathon training I never taper for a half I just include it as training and always use one half as a speed run
  • Options

Well done Shielsy! Have you warmed up yet?

I've done 6 today, and it's nice to feel that the treatment I am now on appears to be working as that's the fastest 6 miles I have done for a long time, and it didn't even feel too tough image

Hi Bearsted - how are you?

• Options
    Vix - great to hear you are getting better and back running relatively freely.

As far as me now I have been told that the issues I have had are not related to my heart and that my heart is strong I can now concentrate on my Marahon training. Still don't know what is causing problems but may be exercise related asthma so will get an inhaler from doctor and see if tht helps. Hope your recovery keeps going
  • Options

Thank you Bearsted.  Am glad to hear that there is nothing wrong with your heart! Which mara are you training for?

• Options
    Vix - Manchester 28th April. Got Tunbridge Wells 1/2 ( 24th February -tough race ) and then 2 weeks later Lydd 1/2 (flattest 1/2 you can ever do) hoping can do a PB there need to do 98:19 as last years time was my PB to date. Is your Marathon the London?
  • Options

I'm doing Bolton Hill Marathon on March 10th, then the Lightning Run as a soloist on 24th March (I think), then London, then Manchester, and following that with having May off before doing Luxembourg Mara, Giants Head Mara, Thunder Run, and GNR image

• Options

Blimey, Vix - that's some list!

• Options

Hi all from down under. image

Quick quesiton; I was thinking of Mick TM earlier. Has anyone heard from him or does anyone know how he's doing?

Vixx; May is quiet, you slacker image

• Options

Stringy, and all other friends of Mick the Mackem, I Just found this -http://announce.jpress.co.uk/21864265?s_source=jpne_se

So sad

• Options

Only met Mick once but he had me laughing out loud after ten seconds after speaking to him,lovely man and will never be forgotten.

• Options

Terribly sad news.
    I've met him at various races in the North East the first time at a Blaydon Race; possibly 2007, and felt like i'd always new him. 
    The last time I saw him was at the Nissan 10k in May 2011 where we laughed about him going to watch Take That in concert.

I'm gutted. A really nice bloke who will be sadly missed.

• Options
    Absolutely gutted about mick, he was such a lovely bloke and i still owe him a pint of guinness after a bet we had at blaydon 3 or 4 years ago.

So sad.
  • Options

Such sad news about Mick the Mackem, I had been thinking about him recently.

Shielsy, sorry to hear about your Uncle.  Saw an article in last Saturday's Mirror that started by mentioning him.

• Options

mr sj - drink the pint you owe him in tribute. Really sad news image

stringy - May is only quiet because I can't find a race I want to do!

pengwyn - I just wanted to do some crazy stuff this year image

Hi bob and rltw image

• Options

Looks like I have a place in the GNR - got my accomodation booked - sooooo excited and cant wait to get there. Just the hard part of 8 months training to do now!!

• Options

Blade - does that mean the Daily Mirror ballots have been announced as my daughter was in the ballot

Vixx - wow I thought I did alot in 2009 but nothing compared to you. is that the Manchester marathon and what time are you hoping for 

• Options

It is the Manchester Marathon Bearsted, but I have no time in mind at present. I'm doing the Bolton Hill Marathon as a walk-run in preparation for the Lightning Run, then I will taper down ready for London and Manchester will be a 'do the best I can' scenario. I am gutted that they have skipped Dunham Massey this year to keep Manchester as an all-road race image

• Options

Vixx - Yes without the rain the Dunham Massey bit was good but I can see why they had to do it just in case the rain came again. What is your PB for Marathon

• Options

Slooooooooooooooooooooooow (5:33:28 set in Berlin). Have done a bunch of marathons since, but didn't do a fat lot of training for them. :S

• Options

Vixx - that time is brilliant especially with the number of marathons you do - I have always said it and will continue to say it - the % of people who finish marathons is so low anybody who does irrespective of time is brilliant.

• Options

Such sad news about Mick.

Hello to everyone else.

• Options

Hi Fiona - how are you?

Can I ask a question of the regulars in here please? I'd really like to run this year's GNR in MtM's memory.  Is that an acceptable idea, and would anyone else like to join me?

• Options

Vixx - not too bad thank you. How are you?

I think it is a very fine idea to run in Mick's memory and I'm sure many of us will join you too.

• Options

Bearsted - my plan is that Bolton Hill will be run-walk to cover the gradient issues and to ensure a really decent amount of time on feet ready for Lightning Run where I am looking for distance over time. If I go for a PB it will be Manchester because of the flatness, but I would like to do better than my time that I did at my first London in 2004, so I'll take a PB at either of those. I want to do Luxembourg because it's a night race and then the Giant's Head is going to be my first completely off road marathon. Thunder Run is my team event for the year and I am still open to an autumn effort..... image

• Options

I'll wear a Mackem's shirt if others will.....