Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Good running mr sj think of it as another sub 43
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

mr sj, nice to see you in the race. Sorry you missed out on a PB but what about trying for one in the Clive Cookson 10K coming up in a few weeks? I reckon from experience that the course is around 30 seconds faster than today's. No steep hills. Even those short ones up to the Priory make a difference.

• Options

You didn't need it at all Mr SJ, you seemed to have the course lined with supporters to spur you on! 

I felt better than I thought I would and ended up running each mile progressively faster, hitting MP somewhere around the 5 mile mark and finishing with a sprint for the last 0.2. I was suprised my legs could do that after 21.3 miles. I had wanted 22 for the day, but lost some time waiting for the baggage bus before hand, so just 21.5. I tried to jog across the field to the busses, but it didn't really work with my bag on my back. I was tempted to do the last bit when I got back to the car, but the bus took so long I'd stiffened up and was freezing cold so I didn't bother!

• Options
    Well done to everyone for today. I am still in a state of euphoria as I wanted to get sub 60 mins and managed to get new PB of 59:53, which seeing as I can never seem to progress from 10min miles, I am absolutely chuffed with!

The weather was very good to us today which helped. Felt good all the way round, bounced up the hills and then somehow seemed to find another gear in the final mile as I was desperate to get that PB!

To top it all off, Lent has finished and I have just enjoyed a creme egg and cup of tea. What an Easter Sunday!
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Muckers Fuddle - well done on the PB. Great feeling, isn't it, especially to get under a "round number" target time.

• Options
    Brief race report.

Was a perfect racing day, no wind and nice and cool/cold. Been running really well and feeling confident of a pb.

Race started and found myself on the front row along with most of my club mates, plan was to go for a sub42, so was hoping to be around 4:09 per km which is around 6:40'ish mile pace. Went off a bit too quick, nothing drastic, first mile was a 6:30 and hoped that wouldnt cause any problems later on. Mile 2 was eased back a bit and came in at 6:55. Got up the big hills and started to settle into my pace but felt a bit sluggish and it seemed to be one of those days when energy was going to be an issue.

Kept on sloggi away and miles 3,4 and 5 were all nice consistent 7:04's, had a quick chat with graham ad he passed me. Slid in behind him and went with his pace for 10metres but knew i couldnt hold it. With around a mile to go i was really struggling and then my saviour, cc2 appeared !! She gave me a little pep talk and told me to dig deep and get my head sorted, spotted a mate a litle further ahead and told her i wanted to beat him. She pulled ahead of me and i tucked in and we cruised past him, did the last mile anout 15 secs faster than previous.

Onto the final straight and a glance at the watch confirmed i had missed the pb, attempted a sprint finish and picked up the pace for 5m before relaising i had absolutely nothing in me whatsoever, crossed the line in 42:57. Beat a cople of people i really wanted to beat ! And missed my pb by 13 seconds.

However, im not disheartened by it, was just one of those days where for one reason or another i didnt have the energy or the desire to dig deep enough and do it. Quick chat with a couple of club mates after and was over the moon for one of the guys who hadnever gone sub 45 before and he an a 42:13 ! Another one from my group run a 3 min pb !

So im pleased to go sub 43 for only my 2nd ever time and my fastest 10k in 3 years. Next up is a 5k in a few weeks and tthen clive cookson and tynedale 10k's and possibly the woodhorn 10k.

Muckers - outstanding running !!!!! Well done

Graham - nice to finally meet you even if it was a brief chat !

Cc2 - thanks for the pep talk and keeping me going, i needed it !
  • Options

Well done on your new pb, Muckers Fuddle.

And glad to hear you're feeling better, CC2.

• Options
    Well done Muckers that is brilliant feel good about it.
  • Options

Good evening, folks.

Well what a day. Possibly the best day for running of the 8/9 NT 10ks that I've done.

Great to see so many forumites, and ex-forumites at the start. Mr sj, Madmax, CC2, Graham L and loads of other running pals too.

Being nowhere near as ready for this as I was 12 months ago, I was hoping to get round in close to 46 minutes, just under would do me nicely. As usual, I set off too quickly, but managed to stay sensible along the fish quay, and went up the double climb to the Priory better than I ever have. Then managed to stay 'relaxed and strong' all the way to the end. even found a sprint  finish and crossed the line in 44:55 ! Absolutely buzzing to have broken 45 minutes for the second year running. At parkrun last week I average 7:10 pace, toady I did 10k at 7:13 !! What a feeling ! Some great performances today; well done everyone ...

• Options

Hey XL - I was there too!  (no mention for me above image )  and was very pleased with my run - not as fast as most of the people above, but at 57.00 my best since 2007 when I got my pb for that course of 55.10.  Thoroughly enjoyed the cold but bright conditions, no wind for once and not too hot (we penguins don't like the heat) and meeting up with running friends at the start and the finish of the race.  Starting to feel like a real runner again!

• Options

Cracking time, mr sj - I can remember well how great it was to have CC2 on my shoulder last year. I found her motivational speaking to be of the highest quality, too. "We're having him!" was a phrase that has stuck with me as she lined up the next target for me. I don't think NT is an easy run, so 13 seconds is nothing to be too disappointed with.

The Clive Cookson is a cracking course, isn't it Graham? Are you going to be there again in May ? I got my pb there last year. After today's effort I'm hopeful of being able to challenge it this year. How did you get on today?

Nice run, CC2 - impressive to build and build the speed like that. Your talk of 41 mins has terrified me, by the way.

Massive congratulations, Muckers Fuddle. Enjoy that euphoria, it is well deserved. As Graham says, it's particularly special to break 'significant' barriers.

• Options
    XL and pengwyn great running both of you well done
  • Options

A flying penguin ! Cracking effort this morning, (ITYS) and you ARE a real runner.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

XL-man, congratulations for well exceeding your anticipated time today. I finished in 42:40, so 4 seconds slower than my last time on the course two years ago. But two years older now, naturally. Only a few months off M65 now image I agree the Clive Cookson is a good course for a PB, even though I'm not normally keen on multi-lap routes. I certainly hope to be there again this year. Like you, I did my best-ever time there.

• Options
    Ok where do I start with all these well dones.

Mr SJ - well done even if you are a little disappointed.

XL - well done on surpassing your expectations.

Flying penguin indeed.

Graham - what a fantastic time

CC2 - it sounds like you are fully recovered. Where do you get the energy. All sounding good for London.

Muckers - what a fabulous achievement. The trouble is that by next week (or maybe tomorrow!) you'll have your eye on a new target.

I'm up for Clive Cookson but I think you lot will leave me for dust but that means you'll need to all wait for me to finish.image
  • Options

I wish, Fiona, I wish! I am coughing up both lungs now. 

I must have been close to you Graham, the NS Poly girl who finished right in front of me said we did 42.40. 

• Options

Thank you, Graham.

I agree, laps aren't usually enjoyable, but CC is different.

Congratulations on your run today; that's a mighty impressive time.

• Options

Evening, Fiona, and thank you.

You'll enjoy CC, it's a great course.

Hope you recover quickly, CC2

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

CC2, yes, you must have been very near. Good luck for London. Not that you'll need it as I know what a good runner you are.

• Options
    Have rounded off a great day with a fantastic turkey dinner courtesy of my mother in law!

Thanks so much for all the congratulations, am still feeling on a high, and you're right Fiona, am already beginning to plan new target! Am beginning to feel a little more confident that I can go faster.....

Hope those lungs feel better in the morning CC2, a little grim but think I can imagine that horrid, metallic taste you're getting right now.

So, who's out for a run tomorrow?!
  • Options
    Great running Graham I hope I can be running as well when I reach an older age
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Cheers Bearsted Plodder. I think some older runners have a job keeping their motivation as times inevitably decline with age, but I didn't start until 59 so don't have any quick times to look back on earlier in life.

• Options

Finally finished a weekend of night shifts, I believe Easter was in there somewhere but I seem to have missed it.

I'm so thrilled for everyone - you all sound like you had an amazing race yesterday - Well done everyone!

CC2 - you really are so lovely the way you encourage/motivate people - it sounds like XL still has you 'on his shoulder even after 12 months and I'm sure mr sj will hear your voice for a long time to come too!

Shielsy - so sorry to hear of your nigggles. Here's hoping thats all they are and that you recover soon. I'd be gutted for you, if you had to pulll out of the marathon after all your hard work.

Well no running for me again this weekend due to shifts, i'm afriad to report, and its not looking good for this week either. I'm not too worried at this stage as, when I do get out, I seem to be running quite well at the moment and my next event is TR24 so I have a few weeks before I need to pick things up again.

• Options
    Hi. Can I join this? Running my 3rd GNR this year. Run it when severely unfit last time so determined to get in shape this year. image
  • Options
    Good morning everyone and welcome to the forum claireruns image
  • Options

Good morning all and welcome to claireruns.

Just back from a steady (i.e slow!) 10K but it's the first half decent run since we became the southernmost tip of the Arctic circle!

Not a bad day in Huddersfield - plenty of sun today but still icy cold.

• Options

Afternoon everyone - and welcome Claireruns.

My knee, whilst still a bit sore when it's extended, is feeling a lot better today than it did after my 19miles on Saturday.  Of course, I'm now sorely tempted to go out for a run tonight after work - I miss not running, and especially now that the nights are lighter.

But I'll try and be good and leave it.  See how it feels tomorrow.

I did however wake up this morning with a very bad back, until I remembered that I spent a good few hours yesterday in the garden, raking up leaves and trimming back hedges etc ... the first time I've had an opportunity to get out into the garden when it hasn't been raining, snowing, or just generally hideous, in ages.

Someone go out tonight and do a run for me, will you?