Options

Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT)

One of today's newspapers had an article about Masai Barefoot Tehnology known as MBT.

It involves wearing a specially constructed shoe that strengthens core muscles as you walk about and is used in sport, medecine and beauty therapy. It even removes cellulite!

The website, www.mbt-uk.com seems to suggest it's the ultimate training aid.
Looks like it's even btter than snake oil.

Does anyone have any real knowledge of
this product?
JJ

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting

If it gets rid of cellulite, I want it, realistically, it seems a bit too good to be true to me
  • Options
    True i'm always sceptical of anything that claims to get rid of cellulite
  • Options
    i'm always sceptical of anything.
  • Options
  • Options
    It says that these "barefoot" shoes encourage corrcet posture and muscle use - but so does going barefoot AND its much cheaper. ;-)

I like the theory, but not teh shoes. Just got myself a pair of the Asics Tiger shoes (casual range) - curved last and virtually no weight - upper or sole. Closest thing to being barefoot - does the same job...
  • Options
    Pantman

Surely going barefoot only works if you already have good posture?

Why should going barefoot improve your posture?

BTW How would you define good posture?
  • Options
    The dealers/trainers - you have to have 'training' to use these shoes correctly - are mainly Pilates teachers/instructors. This suggests that the shoes have a positive impact on posture, flexibility and strenthening core muscles groups.
  • Options
    Actually
    i think Stickless has used these
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have seen these shoes in use. I have unfortunately not been able to try them as they were not the same size as my big feet.However, the people who tried them for an hour or so, said that it felt like it completley changed they way they walked. They made one use muscles one didn't know one had. It was my Pilate's instructor who has a pair. She was in favour of them and had hoped to sell them but for various reasons they have been given to a sole agent in the UK and she has to buy 12 pairs at a time and give instruction on how to use them and was reluctant to do this as the amount she would make much money out of it.

Yes they strengthen the inner core stability muscles and therefore improve posture. I am not sure if one would encounter problems along the way to this improvement, especially if one was in the elder age catagory!

Apparently there was a runner in the last FLM who ran the race in a pair. I believe one has to wear them in gradually.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Has anybody else experienced any problems logging into mbt? Or is it just me and my computer. Nothing comes very quickly, in fact veeeeeeeeeeery slowly, do not have that sort of patience. Could it be an overload on that site, due to article in newspaper?

I forgot to mention that the shoes are swiss designed, I expect it ways that on the site. Also forgot to mention they are quite thick and squigey.
  • Options
    Thanks ceal, They dont look very stylish at all, which is one thing that does put me off( and the price £130. The website www.mbt-uk.com is quite slow. The authorised dealers all seem to be Pilates instructors which would suggest that the shoes help to strengthen core muscle groups and improve flexibility.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I don't think they would do much for flexability! About the lack of style, maybe one should perhaps be turned on by that rather than the reverse! Perhaps all the research has gone into producing a pair of shoes that perform rather than what they look like. However, if they look naff, I agree it is somethimes difficult to be brave enough to wear them. Of course one has to look cool! Have street cred. whatever.