Options

Trainers..

How do you know when they are dead?

Apart from the average 100 miles or year for the average runner blah blah blah

By looking at and running in the trainer, what are the obvious signs that you need a new pair?

Comments

• Options
    it goes thump instead of bouncing slightly when out running in it.

you notice a feeling of persistent heaviness and lethargy7 when running
    you develop slight and worsening niggles in the shins, hips, knees, lower back and ankles.

you can see visable over compression in the midsole of the shoe.

this is usually before the outsole is fully worn away.
    you notice a very distinct lack of cushioning.
    youll oinly relaly know it's dead when you get another pair and run in them to see the difference, that's why it's good to rotate two pairs, one half as old as the other!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I could tell when mine had had their day as I noticed increasingly that running was feeling harder and harder on my legs, and I started getting very achey legs when I hadn't before; also niggling pains in the shins and calves.

I also knew from my running log that they'd clocked over 500 miles so were due for replacement anyway. I just wanted to wear them for as long as possible as I couldn't afford a new pair straight away.

My new ones are bliss!
  • Options
    Put your shoes up on a work surface (take them off first!) and have a look at them. i find that mine always develop an inwards lean on the heel when they are nearing the end of their life.

Also, the tread under the heel and to is beginning to disappear.

They are absolutely filthy

They really do pong a bit strong
  • Options
    do the same principles apply to underpants?
  • Options
    cheers peeps, i think there ok at the mo, cant remember how long ive had them or how many miles ive done, is it every 100 its supposed to be? cos that seems a bit much?
  • Options
    Are they breathing? Shake them a bit - no response? Check for a pulse. No? Almost certainly dead.

Personally mine are dead when I buy them... :-)
  • Options
    Shoes should last about 400-500 miles, depending on how heavy you are, what brand they are, and how gently they are treated.

• Options
    I buy a new pair every 6 months or so anyway ... it means you can rotate shoes and gradually bin them ... what's wrong with throwing them before they die?

Given the cost and the likelihood of injury ...

It also means that if you switch shoes and you're not sure if they're right for you you can go back to a pair you trust to see if the new shoes are a problem or you're just suffering from a niggle.

Sometimes the "tight-fistedness" of runners amazes me - £60-100 every 6 months seems like a cheap sport to me! (Ok so I'm choosing to ignore HRM's, shorts, technical tops, drink, supplements ..... )

All IMHO of course ;-)

Your mileage may vary (always wanted to end a post with that!!!)
  • Options
    HELP! I've just read this thread and realised that my trainers are almost certainly 'dead'! Trouble is I'm due to run my first full marathon on Sunday and would think that its too late to 'run-in' a new pair.
    Should I stick with the ones I've got, get a new pair and hope for the best or (don't want to even think about this!) withdraw from the marathon. Sensible advise please.
  • Options
    just saw this now-too late!
    did you run in your old trainers?
    how did it go?
  • Options
    A dilemma,

I would vote to get a new pair of cushioned trainers and try 3 easy runs or so (remembering obviously to taper), to get used to them, and start to break them in.
    I think this is better than sticking with "the devil you know", as it sounds you will definitely be sore with the old pair.
    If you have trained it seems a shame to pull out. I do know some runners who try out shoes "on the day" for shoe companies or outlets.
    All the best whatever you decide.
  • Options
    Annajo and Alan
    I did decide to go with the old trainers and got round in 3hr 40mins which was just outside my target of 3hr 30, but I think that was more to do with the scorching weather!
    Felt OK and have recovered well, so maybe I was just panicking. (Though next stop will definately be my local "Sweatshop" for a new pair anyway, call it a reward!)
    Thanks for the advise.