Morning

What: 20 mins tempo tonight

Why: last fast session before marathon

Last hard: Weds

Last rest: Friday

Comments

• Options
    morning all.

is this the start of a well earned taper then BR?

what: swim and 2m recovery run on treadmill
    why : a little stiff after yesterday's long run
    last hard : yesterday
    last rest : saturday

• Options
    Morning,
    did Dylan write that one BR?

What:1 hour hard
    Why:Wnat to pick my mileage up and start training hard again.
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:Saturday
  • Options
    Mornin' all,

what: swimming

why,coz I haven't swim for ages and I got a special deal for this month gym membership, so might aswell make the most of it!

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Busy weekend but managed to find time to run on the treadmill for 40 mins on saturday. Sunday was a rest day. Not yet managed to do the hill session on the treadmill that I've been promising myself but might fit it in this week.

What: 30 mins easy run along the canal at lunchtime
    Why: it's monday and that's what we usually do
    Last hard: saturday
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good one.
  • Options
    All Along the Watchtower isn't it BR?

What: weights later
    Why: recovery from race

Have to keep a LW radio close at hand today to see if our cricketers can make it 3 out of 3 for England teams this weekend.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 miles very easy (done), light gym session at lunchtime and another jog tonight.

Why: recovery day
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: 15 days

Legs feel OK after yesterday's long run, but will take it very easy for the next couple of days to ensure full recovery.

Have a good day all
  • Options
    Haven't posted for a while - got disillusioned as I was the only one not training twice a day.

What: Upper body weights session
    Why: Keeping to schedule except for the unplanned day off yesterday (think I have a touch of gastric flu - feeling sick, sore throat, breathless)
    Last hard: Despite feeling bleugh, managed 9 miles on Saturday.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Will try to be sensible and not push it too hard.
  • Options
    Some good runs over the w/e - well done twoton (you kept the race entry quiet!), Aardvark - sounds an idyllic run and a good time too for a first half. Glad you're not feeling to low about your half in Bristol Hilly - a 5am start sounds bad on a sunday! well done to others.

Raced a steady 5m fun run on Sunday. Very Undulating and extremely narrow for the first 2 miles. Was treating this a "Cat C" race and started at the back - with ca 200 runners it took 17 secs to cross the start and was very slow for the first 2m - passed in 15:50. pushed on a bit and held it together over a vicious hill at 4m for about 38:30 (my watch). Which was OK since only 2/3 weeks back into some sort of training. A little bit further behind a couple of club colleagues than I'd have liked but lets put that down to poor start line positioning! And the good news was my achilles was fine.

today what : 5m recovery run or gym tbd
    why : looosen up / prepare for club night Tues
    last hrd : I guess yesterdays race
    last rest : sat
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Probably a gentle 3 miles for me today - recovery from the Nike 10K yesterday.

Great event, well done to all those who did it. The British 10K could learn a thing or two!

I was in the second wave, which started 15 minutes after the fastest group. In retrospect I should have signed up for the faster group (it was supposed to be sub-45, which was why I didn't) but it seemed that a lot of people actually ran with a different group than the one they signed up with. This meant that the first 2K were incredibly slow; barely more than jogging pace. Passed 1K in 5:30 which I knew meant I would have to jack up the pace quite a bit. Unfortunately as I clocked 1K I accidentally pressed the 'stop' button on my stopwatch instead of the lap button, and didn't notice until about 40 seconds before the 2K marker. Even though I restarted the watch I was then totally confused about my split times and gave up trying to record them. I then had to run by feel rather than trying to pace each kilometre, which was difficult in amongst so many people when you had to keep slowing down and then trying to make up for lost time.

The weather was much warmer than had been forecast, and pretty airless out there on the course, so I was already feeling the effects of the heat by about 4K. On the plus side, although the course was slightly undulating, compared with the hills I usually train on it seemed quite flat - definitely flatter than my first 10K earlier this summer.

I found the constantly having to alter my pace to accommodate the crowds (which never really thinned out) difficult and my nemesis came between 5 and 7K when I really had to fight with myself not to stop and walk. One of my work colleagues was on the water station at 7K and it was only the thought of her cheery face that kept me going through those 2K. At 7K I took some much-neede water and poured quite a lot more over me, which helped a lot - the last 3K were a breeze. Had no idea of my time as I crossed the line but checked the website this morning. Knocked 22 seconds off my PB, which I'm happy with, although as the course was a lot flatter than my PB course I'd hoped to do a lot better, but given the crowds I think I did pretty well to knock anything off at all. I didn't run the race anticipating a fantastic time as it WAS a mass participation event and obviously not the ideal arena for a PB - although I'd secretly hoped to knock off a couple of minutes. Having said that, I ran more for the atmosphere and the experience of competing in a mass participation event.

The organisation was second to none - much as I hate to admit it, Nike know what they're doing!

Things I'll take on board from this race:
    1) Join the faster group next year.
    2) Hydrate a lot better the day before the race. I thought I had, but probably drinking a couple of glasses of wine the night before wasn't a good idea!
    3) Try to get a decent night's sleep the night before. Not easy when you're a bag of nerves like I get before races!
    4) Try not to turn off stopwatch mid-race!!
  • Options
    Morning all

Well done Minkin on your achievements at the Nike 10K yesterday, I ran this one as well did ok. Came in at Clock time 44m, I think my chip time will be around 43 Minutes as in took me about a minute to cross the start line. So that means about 3 Minutes off my 10KM PB. Awaiting the Chip times to be published on the site.

My race report is under the events section on the Nike 10K Numbers thread.

Today:

What: 4 - 5 Miles easy.
    Why: To loosen up and strecth out after yesterdays efforts.

Last Hard: Yesterday Nike 10KM
    Last Rest: Friday
    Last Long: Sunday 31st August 20 Miler

Looking forward to another week of good training in preparation for Dublin.

Good luck all.

LL
  • Options
    well done Minkin on your race - very hard to get a good time on a mass participation event 10k - changing pace all the time takes it out on you - just like Hills.

sorry about the wine exchange on Friday - meant to imply I like mine red and warm and often, unlike yourself who prefers white and chills it of course. hope there was plenty in the fridge when you got home form Richmond.

Good luck with your upcoming half (Windsor? - nice Hill at mile 9), use the endurance base therafter to go for a really fast 10k late October
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Well done, Longlegs. Not sure whether the times on the website are chip times or clock times, but my clock time was actually slower than the time they've given as my official time so may have used the chip times already?

It's OK, sfh legs - I knew what you meant! There was plenty in the fridge post-Richmond but sadly I craved only water. (Note to self: don't drink wine the night before a race - leads to feeling dehydrated very quickly especially if the weather is warm).

Looking forward to Windsor (I think, although I've been told it's v. hilly!) but really want to get my 10K time down now. I was satisfied with my performance yesterday given the constraints, but I KNOW I should be able to get sub-49 for a 10K. Might have a go at the Regent's Park 10K series - nice and flat and not too many participants.
  • Options
    Good effort Minkin and Longlegs, it can't have been easy having to let other people dictate your pace. You did well to run PBs under those conditions.
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 15 mile run
    why: building mileage after week of tapering

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Morning.

Resting. Sore! Achilles still calm after Saturday's 16.5 miles, but my body's gone on strike.

What's the views on fitting in a 20-miler on (say) Friday, 2 weeks & 2 days before my marathon? Not good according to usual wisdom, but since I'm in serious need of mileage to get me back on track.....?

Anyway, have fun today, and hope all your aches are less achy than mine!
  • Options
    Peeps!

what: recovery run. 1 hour on the tready.

Welldone Minkin and Longlegs!

Frisky Piskie, I don't train twice a day!

Have a lovely day!
  • Options
    Well done to everybody who raced on the weekend seems a few pb's were done

and TT even sneaked in a marathon - well done
  • Options
    Well done to everyone on such good times / efforts over the weekend!

I made it to the start line of my first race - the half marathon at wolverhampton. My shins held up thanks to a couple of painkillers and lots of deep heat! I was happy to finish in 2hrs 01mins. The thing that pleased me most was that I didnt stop once - or even slow down once! Felt really strong the whole way around - so know that I know where to set my standards - next time will be going for 1hr 55min - and hope to do even better. So definatly addicted!!

What - rest
    Why - can hardly walk!
    Last hard - race yesterday
    Last rest - Thurs
  • Options
    Morning everyone. Well done to the racers on the weekend with some good times and PBs.

What: am 9 miles with 6 miles of hills, gym session, 20 mins swimming drills - done, pm 17 miles hard cycling.
    Why: Scheduled
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon and well done w/end racers.

What:rest day
    Why:raced yesterday
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:Saturday

Won't be about much this week as I've got a very busy week with work and family, but training will continue as the following:

Tues am 6 miles marathon pace
    Wed pm 5k race using as speed work rather than a flat out 5k
    Thurs pm 20 miles long slow run
    Fri rest
    Sat swim + 5 miles easy
    Sun am 5 miles race
  • Options
    Had a busy weekend so did not have time to post yesterday.
    Race on Saturday went ok but I was bitten at the top of my leg by ants when I sat on the grass to do my stretching. I've nasty red blobs there now. It also made the top of my inside leg tight & I was little worried as it happen after my last stride before the gun was due to go!!!
    I took the first 1/2 mile steady, everything felt ok so I pushed on. Really pleased with the way I finished as I felt strong. Time was nothing special but with the hills & the heat I'm happy enough. Did'nt ease down at all, 29:16

Sunday 2hrs 46min run in Windsor Park, really enjoyed this run, it took me 20min to run "the long walk"!

Today
    am, rest, pm 8M recovery run with a few strides thrown in at the end. Gave my legs a massage afterwards too.

Last hard: Sat & Sun
    Last rest: 17 days ago.
  • Options
    Hi,

What : Rest
    Why : Overton 5 on Saturday
    + 17.5 miles yesterday (tempo + reps)
    = shagged out today

On two week pre NF marathon taper now....
  • Options
    Oh forgot to say my race was Overton 5 also!

See you at the NF Dustin I hope to be able to stay around after the half to watch some of the marathoner's finish.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done BT and Dustin!
  • Options
    Evening all,

9 miles very slow this evening. Plenty of stretching afterwards to try to loosen calves up a bit.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    BT, what's the running surface like in Windsor Park? Someone told me it's basically gravelly paths - is this the case? I'm doing the Windsor half and don't relish the prospect of 13 miles on stony pathways!
  • Options
    Minkin, yes there are lots of stoney paths but what I remember from running the 1/2 about 7 yrs ago the race does'nt use any of them!
    There is also some great tarmac, you won't have anything to worry about.