Options

Running only vs cross training

Hi,

I am considering dropping my gym membership, in favour of pure running with a view to completing marathon in under 4h.30.

Can i do this traiing on running alone? what the experiences of others here?

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yes! You don't need gym work to run a marathon.

I used to do gym work, but found I couldn't fit it all in. Then I started ciruit training with my running once a week, but when marathon training I drop circuits in favour of another run.

• Options
    To train & run a marathon properly drop the gym work.
  • Options
    When i'm marathon training i don't have the energy for anything other than eating and sleeping with the running. I consider the stretching for 10 minutes and 5 minutes with a Bullworker after each run more than enough 'cross training'.
  • Options
    ..yeah but...if (or when probably) you get injured, the best x-training can be done on the Eliptical Cross Trainers, Rowing machines etc...if you drop your memebership you'll lose the ability to keep your CV fitness when you are injured. I was going to drop mine but glad I didnt as x-training over the last few weeks while being injured has kept my fitness intact.
  • Options
    You need strength - go to the gym
  • Options
    Strength can be done with weights at home, press ups etc. Running should be the main focus, not gym work. Would it be worth your while to only go once a week?

Are there gyms in your area where you can `pay and play'?
  • Options
    yep a council gym would be a good choice
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Agree with Ian on this one, running should be your main priority but it is handy to have at least an eliptical trainer to hand if you pick up an injury that you cannot run on.
    But something like cycling can offer excellent endurance qualities if done in conjunction with running. I set my best marathon/ 1/2 marathon / 10k and 5 mile times on a 60:40 running:cycling combination.
    I am now in a stretch where I am doing solely running with an eliptical trainer being used when I cannot run. I will be interested personally to see if I can get near the times set when I cross trained with cycling.
  • Options
    For running a sub 4:30hr marathon you don't need a gym membership.

Now the interesting part about cross training. If you aim 4:30 any additional activity will be beneficial.

WW will like this one. Lore of running says:

"Young competitive runners probably should run only .... Dave Scott, the athlete beaten by Mark Allen, believes that heavy cycling program aids distance running performance and this explains why elite triathletes seldom run more than 60-80 miles a week"
  • Options
    If you can get to the gym I would. I find the treadmills great for speed work, but wouldn't use them for anything over 10k.

And if you do get injured or sore - using the ski machines or bikes is a great idea.

Some gyms have running clubs attached.
  • Options
    I'm in the 'keep the gym membership' camp myself. Apart from risking injury by purely running, weights and other cv training will help you develop a better all-round fitness. Its not to say that going to the gym will help or hinder your marathon training, I just personally think it is healthier to have a more balanced approach. NB
  • Options
    here, here. I agree with Cougie and NB.

I am injured and now my workouts are completely gym based. Even when I am fit to run again I will still use the gym a lot.

It really benefits your running if you have strength.
    I am doing a lot of Spinning and that has done my Cardio ability wonders. Im sure that all the work im doing now has made me much fitter and will help my running feel easier.