Options

Running styles

When out running with my husband he always goes on about how I run with small steps and says it wrong and that I am making it hard on myself. He keeps trying to get me to change to bigger strides and keeps going on about bouncing.

I am only 5ft 2 and find it hard to change the way I run. I have tried it his way and it did not feel at all comfortable and I went back to my own way after a few mins. I enjoy running and do not feel I run any different to many folk. I have only been running for 5 months. Should I listen to him or do my own thing?

Comments

• Options
    HAve you tried getting him to change to the way YOU run Fit chick ;)

Seriously we are all different, if you are only 5'2 then you can only take small strides
  • Options
    I'd like to know as well i tend to shuffle a bit thats the best way to describe i can describe my running except when i'm running a bit faster like the last bit in a race my knees tend to rise a bit more as do my feet but my stride length is short

This has always puzzled me why do people work to change their natural running pattern
    am i wrong to believe the the best style of running for an individual is their natural style
  • Options
  • Options
    he's wrong - don't listen to him

more economical, and easier to generate faster legspeed with smaller strides

the most important discovery I made (accidentally) about my own running this year was that I was slightly overstriding and wasting energy as a result. Made a difference of about 10 seconds a mile to my running, I reckon.
  • Options
    Your running stride is what is natural to you. You will find that the more miles you do, the more your body adapts and your style may change a bit over the years as your muscles develop/age/stretch.
    Stick with what is comfortable for you.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Trouble is that very few of our styles are "natural" unless you've been going around bare foot since you were born. Are you suggesting that a typical UK upbringring of wearing shoes with heels that are thicker than the forefoot area (as 95% of shoes do) leads us to a natural style?! I can't help but disagree - we all have a gait/style that has been ACQUIRED from years of wearing western shoes, sitting at desks in classrooms/offices, sedentary lifestyles, carrying too much weight, etc, ec. - We do NOT have natural styles. Only someone like Haile G who ran bare foot all the time (he actually threw away his first running shoes) can claim to have this.

After all loads of us have to wear "anti-over pronation" shoes because our acquired gait IS inefficient and injury prone.

fwiw I think a short step & high cadence is an efficient way of running so please don't change it Fit Chick!

And regarding "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - well my old 1967 VW camper van is still running, but i know there are distinctly more efficient and faster vehicles out there! And lots of us are slightly broke :-)
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    phew - sorry that was a bit of a rant wasn't it?!
  • Options
    he is completely wrong - short fast steps are the way to go

both more efficient and less prone to injury
  • Options
    I agree with most of the above. Everyone has their own style. Just do what comes naturally. I think you should start pointing out his bad points.
    Whenever the London mararthon is on TV the commentator normally talks about smaller strides being more efficient over longer distances - the runners always look relaxed. You're probably an 'efficient runner'.
  • Options
    Chaos is spot on - and so is everyone saying shorter steps are efficient.

Let someone take your full weight by leaning forwards from the ankle (like a ski jumper)with their hand(s) on your chest. If they suddenly let go (without warning) you'll automatically put you leg forward. Why? To slow you down and stop you. When people reach their foot forward to go faster they actually are putting the brakes on (inefficient) and are giving their body incredible impact (=injury).

Watch Geb run - even flat out his foot lands below his hips (centre of gravity). And on the ball of his foot, but then that's another story.
  • Options
    Try it out for yourself FitChick.
    I have a short stride and I'd tried to lengthen it as I'd convinced myself that long stride = faster pace. As everyone else has said, rubbish. Long stride (when you naturally have a short stride) = very tired legs + possible injury.
  • Options
    .... so you can go and say 'ner ner' to your husband
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Before I taught myself to run with grace and elegance, my Irish nana would describe my gait as: "here's me head, me arse is comin'"
  • Options
    i run sideways, like a crab
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    JJ-your nana's saying made me laugh as it brought back memories of when I was a young lady at senior school and a little bit well endowed out front for my skinny body. Some of the lads used to say something similar except they'd replace the head with.....
  • Options
    my mother said I was the only child she knew who could ride a bike as if I was sitting on the sofa and no doubt my running style is pretty much the same, but I prefer JJ's nana's version
  • Options
    hang on

You mean my running style is EFFICIENT??????

so why am i so carp at running then?
  • Options
    JJ & KT - I have run the same way. Unfortunately by have hips behind us our legs are, by default, "in front" - not so good. I find that "running tall" ala M Johnson does the trick, but still requires much effort
  • Options
    because you run like a fish benz
  • Options
    Thanks guys you have cheered me up. I WILL stick to my own style of running and just enjoy myself. I have made sure he has read your replies, maybe now I can run without husband going on about it.

JJ
    Your Irish nana's saying has made me laugh. My mum used to have a few sayings like that herself. When walking up a slight slope or hill she would say 'Its uphill down here!' I just wished I could remember them all. I still miss her little quotes, they always made you laugh.

Andy I would love to see you running like a crab (Lol) I used to take the kids fishing for them when they were little, and if I remember correct crabs can't half move when they want, albeit sideways!

Chaos I agree with you about the shoes causing problems. I do tend to kick my shoes off as soon as I get in and prefer to walk around barefoot on the carpets. When gait tested for my shoes I was told I was neutral and had no problems with my ankles.