Options

Ironman Wales 2013

Comments

• Options

Well done to all the pirates! 

• Options

Daz, DQ's were for littering or not serving penalties for drafting mainly, the list in the tent was very long tbh.

• Options

Fab work peeps! Hope you're all treating yourselves today! image

• Options

Good job Foo, Mouse & other Pirates. image Gutted to hear about Slag & Button. image

• Options

Mrs Digger - I've just eaten breakfast for five people. I'm officially a weeble image

Thank you, Siggy. Next stop Nice, eh?

• Options

I thought you were 'coat holding'! image

Yeah, next stop Nice, I'd better get training or I'll be being chicked yet again!! image

• Options

Well done all pirates, sounds like Wales was as tough as ever. Personally I think you're all mad for even entering that one!

• Options

Brilliant racing everyone, top pirating!

• Options

Top breakfasting M..o.usker! Makes me proud image

• Options

Congrats to those who finished. Really chuffed for you. It is a bloody grim race and you must all have played really tough to get to the finish. Especially happy for you, Seren, but that's not to diminish anybody else's effort. 

I really feel for you both, Slag and Button, if you'd put the training in this year. If you hadn't and just wombled up... then I guess you knew Tenby was going to be a tough day at the office.

Wouldn't you be soooooo gutted to have raced yourself to a Kona slot, and then spewed it because you dropped a gell wrapper? I imagine some poor hard-body out there getting his MDot tattoo lazered off, tears rolling down his bony cheeks. Poor bastards.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

DQs for littering, ouch!  Well if it's blatant in the open then fair enough, although missing a bin on the move or accidental drops should be allowed.  

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

I have seen in the past fast age groupers collect 2 bottles at an Aid Station and drop a barely drank one to the ground at the bottom of a hill shortly after. This is the sort of behaviour that littering DQ will prevent. I for one believe that there should be pretty close to a zero tolerance policy on littering.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

If drops are well beyond the aid station ie 100m+ then fair enough as long as they are clear about the rules and consistant across the races from now on.  As long as we all know where we stand then it's a good rule to implement.  

I just hope they didn't get carried away just because it's a new rule and were fair.

• Options

WTC Rules:

12. Do not litter. Any item that needs to be discarded, including but not  limited to water bottles, gel wrappers, energy bar wrappers, broken bike parts,  or clothing items, may only be discarded in the trash drop zones at each aid  station. Discarding any item outside of the trash drop zones will result in a  penalty. Blatant littering will result in a Red Card (4 minute penalty).

So a DQ for litter does seem a little harsh!

• Options

Rafi - Unless it was specifically mentioned in the race brief, in which case hanging is too good for 'em! image

• Options

Rafi, 2 red cards are DQ so either littering twice or a combination of 1 draft call plus litter is all it takes under the rules.

In Wales at the race briefing last year they emphasized how important it was for the continuity of the race to prevent littering, specially around the national park area. The organizers linked directly a clean race to the shelf life of IMW.

• Options

Not really raf - the race instructions for IMW do say that littering is a DQ in this race, I guess they're doing all they can to keep the locals happy which seems fair enough. They also say that discarding the bag you put your shoes in for after the swim is littering and a DQ - I wonder if they caught a few throwing those away, if they're having to clear up a few of them after the swim has finished then the number of the guilty party is there on the bag.

• Options

Sounds like a very hard day at the office. Well done Pirates. 

I have no sympathy for littering, really winds me up when I see it during races or at any time to be honest. There is a real arrogance about people who think they are important enough to ignore the rules to save themselves 2 seconds. 

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

They will probably make this rule a lot clearer next time around

• Options

Sounds like some fab hard work went on yesterday - looking forward to reading all about it

Well done Pie rights image

• Options

sounds like anyone who finished did a great job yesterday.

DQ's for littering is a good idea, it massively annoys me when people do it.

• Options

Just got home, after my hardest day yet.

Took a kick to the stomach on the run, and took on salt water, and then threw up, all within the first five minutes of the swim.  Threw up again after 30 minutes, and another 7 times on the bike.

Fuelled the bike on just water, and the run on Ritz crakcers and water, not ideal, but got me the finish, and proved to myself that I am mentally strong.

A truly awesome event, and I will be back

• Options
    Rafiki wrote (see)

WTC Rules:

12. Do not litter. Any item that needs to be discarded, including but not  limited to water bottles, gel wrappers, energy bar wrappers, broken bike parts,  or clothing items, may only be discarded in the trash drop zones at each aid  station. Discarding any item outside of the trash drop zones will result in a  penalty. Blatant littering will result in a Red Card (4 minute penalty).

So a DQ for litter does seem a little harsh!

Are you FB in disguise

MTRIumphant wrote (see)

Took a kick to the stomach on the run,

And I thought the swim was hard, fighting on the run?

Top Pirating from all

• Options

Swim, sorry, mind is still all over the place.

• Options

Last year in the final 5 miles on the bike I couldn't remember which leaver changed which gear

• Options

good afternoon, not been round these parts of the web for a while.

I was at tenby yesterday supporting my little brother.  I spent the day with my 2 nieces and my sis in law.  great fun was had.

we had a great time cheering all on, and my 4 year old niece loved the pirates.  So just to say thanks for making her day, you were a credit!

we were the probably boresome lot shouting Jim laddd to every pirate and every pirate replied arrrrghhhhh m'hansome!  Or some such nautical saying

the conditions for the bike and later half of the run were monsoon like  - Much kudos to all those who finsihed.

My brother said it was his hardest race, but the most informative.

ps have a look at an app called 'make me a pirate' - tears rolling down cheeks.

Thanks again.

• Options

I remember you from a very long time ago.

Where were you on the course?

• Options

My first IM was Bolton this year, littering was talked about heavily in briefing.  Day after the race, at the service station, I happened to park next to the race referee, he smiled at me hobbling around, asked if I'd had a good race, and we got onto the subject of disqualification.

He said they don't set out to disqualify, and with littering it has to be very blatant.  Dropping a wrapper while you're trying to get it in your pocket isn't littering.  They're after the people who think it's all right to just chuck their litter around the countryside rather than take it the distance with them.

Harsh, perhaps, but it's in the rules.  And frankly, anyone who'll train a year and then ignores the rules is asking for trouble.

• Options

And I had so much fun tracking the pirates yesterday, top job!  Hoping to race there next year.

• Options
    M..o.use wrote (see)

I remember you from a very long time ago.

Where were you on the course?

We were on the run course all over the place, the last place (where most Pirate encouraging went on) was on the slight downhill stretch near the Hotel on the front that you ran past in both directions.

I am pretty sure I saw you, or at least recognised you.