Options

high heart rate confusion

I've been trying to use the HRM to make my running more productive, and am having a few problems. First of all I've done all the maths and have come out with a MaxHR of 205 (done in 2 3 min sessions as suggested), resting pulse somewhere in the 70 region hence WHR of 135. So an easy run would correspond to about 80-100 bpm. A hard session would be about 115 to 130. I started the first few runs without a target pace (so I had a bench-mark), and just ran as I felt comfotable, and I have been consistently running around 160-180. Eh? I don't feel particularly tierd as a result during the day, and have been using a basic 1 on 1 off scedule of alternating 30mins and 50 mins runs. As background I did a mid 40's 10K last year after about 1 year of training, then had a few months off due to illness (not injury) and have been getting back into it again in the last few months.
So is my 160-180 running pace classic over-training? I have tried running sub 160, and it's virtually impossible to actually run at that pace, I have to walk, and even if I did manage it that would not be a "hard" session, it would be as slow as I could go so not even a recovery run. If I am over training, then how can I possibly be running consitently at +160 without feeling absolutely knackered all the time? I did a test 10K and managed 50mins. My resting heart rate seems high, I did take it at normal training time, doing the lying down for 5 mins avarage test. But even if I did it in the morining and found it to be 50, then my maximum heart rate on a hard session would still only be 150 (which corresponds to data on this site). So how am I still comming out with 160-180 when running slowly. Do I have an abnormally high training heart rate? Or if I am fantastically unfit, then how can I do a 50min 10K and feel fine?
Perhaps I need to ignore the HRM for a few months?

Comments

• Options
    i think that if using whr after working out the % you need to add your resting heart rate back on so 60% would be .6 x 135 + 70, at least that is how i understand it, hope that helps
  • Options
    Yes, your WHR is added on to your RHR.

So an `easy' run @ 60% WHR is 60% of 135 - about 80 bpm, added onto 70 (RHR) is 150.

No wonder you're practically walking at 115!!

A hard session at, say 80% would be about 175-180.

So you're running in the right zones!

• Options
    If you have been running reguarly for a while and try running in your 70% zone you may need to walk on some occasions. This is because you are not aerobically fit. However in a few weeks (4-6) you will be able to run at this heart rate. And yes this should feel really easy.

Check out a book like heartrate training for the compleat idiot by J Parker.
  • Options
    So I did the maths again. Hello? Anyone in there? OK, so now my moderate pace comes out at 170-184, which makes a whole lot more sense...