Options

Saturday session

What: 18 mile run
Why: New York is fast approaching
last hard: Thursday
last rest: yesterday

18 miles will be the longest I have run so far, am looking forward to it in a warped sort of way!

Comments

• Options
    what: can't decide, either gym session or easy 6 miler. Maybe both.
    why: recover from yesterday
    last hard: yesterday
    rest: Wednesday

Good luck with the long one Gnash.
  • Options
    Hope you have/had a brilliant run, Gnasher. I can't believe ANYONE would get up at 4:11am for a training run!

What: Seven miles, trying out a new route with a long steady climb for the last 2.5 miles.
    Why: Practising for the GNR. Also worked out that the easiest way to fit the weekend's training sessions around the rest of the family's prior commitments is to reverse today and tomorrow.
    Last rest day: Yesterday. Total veg-out.
    Last hard day: Thursday.

This will be the first time that I've run this early (setting off in half an hour). Say a prayer for my joints please.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Good luck Gnasher! Or looking at the time now, I should say how did it go as you're most probably home, showered and ready for the day ahead.

What: 16 miles multi terrain.
    Why: my weekly long run. Had to swap days as I've got to drive to Southampton tomorrow to take son to football.
    Last rest day: form running Wed. From all sport Sat.
    Last hard day: Thursay's track session.
  • Options
    Hilly you are my inspiration!! I want to be training at your level and doing triathlons next year. You must be super organised.
    Anyway, I digress...
    What: a 30 min run with fartlek bursts, plus a two hour Body Balance workshop (ie yoga/ pilates type workout)
    Why: That's what RW are telling me to do, and I've got Windsor tomorrow
    Last rest: Yesterday. I went to see my friend's new baby instead, and we had to stop at the pub on the way home to wet the baby's head
    Last hard day: Thursday on the treadmill. Not hard, but I struggled. Have been feeling as if I'm coming down with something for about a week. Tried to catch up on sleep - hope I'll be okay for Windsor
  • Options
    As the last week befre marathon debut approaches, my mind is descending into deep paranoia - is that a sore throat? Is that a twinge?

Have reduced training this week but seem to feel tired all the time - probably due to long hoirs at work. I digress.....

Tottered round an eight miles last night in just over an hour, didn't feel quite right, but running with a friend I felt an obligation to keep up.

Today: Looking like 30 minutes treadmill....
    Why:......as baby sitting my youngest and no opportunity to go out.
    Last rest day: Thursday
    Last hard day: Tuesday

How sad is this....the reason I'm babysitting is Mrs captain has gone to a wedding and I ducked out as I didn't want to put myself at the mercy of so many potentially sick people.
  • Options
    Had a bad week so far for getting ut there so decided to hit the treadmill whilst midge's 1 and 2 had their swim training.

What - 7m inc a timed 10K with negative splits.
    why - good catch up on missed miles and a speed session.
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - today - but feeling great now!

So this is how it goes - I'm feeling great in my 2070's, thorlo's, new view from running shorts (that fit rather than being too small like all my old kit), and "Unoffcial" running vest. Warm up, 1.5 slope and 12kph - first 5k in 25:09, then 1K at 12.8, 1K at 13.6, 1k at 14.4, then I ran out of steam and tried to keep going at between 12.6 and 13.6 - finished at 12 and a second 5K time of 22:40. Pulse at 160 within 30 secs of cooling down so I think I can go faster, but I am pleased with 47:49 for my first timed 10K.

Now the down side. My short liner started to cut me up around 6K. when I eventually got them off the liner had a lovely colour from blood and scraped off flesh, even tho I used vaseline before hand. Showering hurt and exposed a rub on the small of my back from the waist band and even now I am walking like a cowboy!

This injury makes my sore shins pale in comparison. And I bought two pairs! HO bl**dy HUM
  • Options
    What : Nothing
    Why : its happened! - I've caught a cold off the wife 1-week before the GNR :o(

Last Hard Run : Tuesday
    Last Rest Day : Today

Will
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've had the most wonderful run. Set off about 8.30am heading for the undulations of the quieter coastal paths. The breeze lightly washed over my body and I felt exhilarated running beside a very calm sea.
    My route was very hilly at times, 2 very steep ones. One a mile long the other about 800m. The rest of the route was typical off road coastal paths. I do believe if I had raced today I would have set a pb, I was just flying and it felt so good. Was tired after 16 miles but could have carried on.
    Then went to the swimming pool and did 45x25m. And for the first time ever, did 20x25m front crawl straight off. I'm one pleased lady today!

Snicks you are doing very well and I have no doubt that by next year you will be able to train at my level. I'm honoured that I'm your inspiration. I'm a work horse rather than super fast! I think I was born for endurance events. To answer your question, I am quite an organised person, althougth my other half would argue with that. It also helps with my children being a lot older than yours, but it still gets a bit hectic at times-we do a lot of TAXI runs!
    Good luck tomorrow at Windsor.

Martin H,
    I remember the feeling well! Working in a school I was paranoid that the little devils were going to infect me with all sorts. That wasn't the case and I'm sure you'll get to the start cold free, just chill and try to relax. I hope you have a great Marathon. Happy running!
  • Options
    Well after having followed this with interest for a number of weeks, this is my first posting on the training forum. Guess it is about time to start contributing!!

What: 70 mins run including 55 minutes fartlek covering ca 13.5 kms with average heart rate of 154

Why: Core session in preparation for the Amsterdam half

Last Hard run: Yesterday hill session (not too desperate though)
    Last Rest day: Wednesday
  • Options
    Martin, you may have a starring role in the new issue of RW, but you are a sad, sad man.

Will, don't worry. A week is plenty long enough for your immune system to see off a cold. You'll be fine for the GNR as long as you don't do anything to interfere with your recovery, like overtraining and undersleeping.

Hilly, you're amazing. Snicks, you're amazing too. When I think of the number of things you have to juggle by yourself, it's amazing that you manage to run at all!

I had a rather pleasant run this morning. I can see the point to these morning runs - got home in time to make cooked breakfasts for those who wanted them and still had a full day ahead, although I'm missing having my run to look forward to, if you see what I mean. Still, NO chance that I'll ever be able to fit in an hour's run before getting the kids ready for school on weekday mornings.

Best wishes for everyone running at Windsor tomorrow. Hope the sun shines gently, the wind refrains from blowing, your legs are in top form and you all get PBs.
  • Options
    ...first chance I've had to sign on since this morning...
    Update: DID IT! I took a wrong turning somewhere so probably ran nearer to 19 miles and it took me 3 hrs 42 mins. Not speedy that's for sure but what a sense of achievement! Having the rest of the day to do family stuff makes getting up so early worth it. Roll on next weekend's 23 miler
  • Options
    Well Done Gnasher!
  • Options
    Great stuff, Gnasher. Having never done more than 13.5 miles in training, I am well impressed. And long runs aren't meant to be fast!
  • Options
    What: 10.5 miles with 30 mins easy fartlek
    Why: Easyish day before tommorrows long run
    Last hard day: Thursday
    Last rest day: Sunday

Gnasher, that is one hell of a training run! Got three 3 weeks till Amsterdam marathon, and finding it really difficult to do anything over 1 and a half hours. Will really try and do 18 tommorrow though.

Good luck to everyone racing tommorrow

Gareth
  • Options
    I'm sure it won't take you longer than one and a half hours to do 18 miles, Gareth :-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Gnasher. Make sure you get plenty of recovery after that run.

V-rap glad you had a nice early morning run. I agree it's good to run early but like you I don't think I could manage to do so on weekday mornings.

• Options
    Hilly - must be nice having coastal training routes. Managed to do a few of these recently on hols in Cornwall and it was good, if not tough. Unfortunately can't do these regularly as i live 30 miles inland !.

What 8.5m at 6.30am after a few to many last night (it was not much fun but i deserved it) Why, because i couldn't say no to another pint..or two.
  • Options
    Yesterday's easy run turned into another hard effort thanks to speedy friend. That means I've had three consecutive days of hard training so...
    What: rest
    Last hard day: yesterday
    last rest day: Tuesday
  • Options
    I'm a bit shy cos I don't really understand how to do this, but here goes........
    What: 3.5 miles
    Why: because I want to see if I can!
    Last hard/easy/rest: don't think the way I run fits in here - I run four mornings a week, 2 miles each time, always at the same pace (about 10 mins a mile).

Do I post back afterwards to let you know if I've done it? Suppose I can't manage that far? Help!
  • Options
    Sassie - you can either post back in now or put it into the start of tomorrows post. Either way you have to fess up. Thats where the motivation of this post comes in. if you've just come back well done - if you didn't make it - don't worry tomorrow is made for you to do better than today.

gnasher - stonking
  • Options
    Well done, Sassie. That's a respectable distance. How did it feel? Can't speak for anyone else, but two-mile runs don't do much for me because it takes me almost that long to warm up, whereas by the third mile I can see why I enjoy running so much!
  • Options
    Hi V-rap: it felt fine thanks. I can actually imagine myself running a 5K soon, and a 10K one day! Wow!