Options

Monday 15th September

Morning

What: 9 miles jog am, cross trainer then 9 miles jog - only joking but I can think of one forumite who will be recovering from a marathon with this!!

Just a short run to loosen the legs.

Why: race yesterday.

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest : Friday

I seem to have caught the sun yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    Glad you can walk BR.

What: am, rest, pm 8M rec run
    Why: start of recovery week

Last hard: Sat & Sun
    Last rest: 24 days ago

• Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 miles slow jog done, WEIGHTS (ha - wrong BR ;o)) at lunchtime and another easy jog tonight.
    Why: recovery day
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 22 days (next rest Friday - can't wait)

Lots of great running over the weekend - well done all.
  • Options
    Did my first interval session Saturday, only three sets of one mile with warm up and down at each end, but enjoyed it.
    And it was hot yesterday.
    What-hour club run
    Why-dunno
    Last hard-yesterday (I'm counting football as hard cus I'm always stiff the next day)
    Last rest-Thursday.

Too hot in my room.
  • Options
    morning all

You're not the only one BR - with the exposure of 2 races, plus Saturday's cricket, I could go out at 9 tonight and use my nose as a passable alternative for a head torch.

what: 30 mins v easy
    why: rather busy weekend

last hard days: Sat, Sun
    last rest day: Fri

Took the stabilisers off Nick's (younger son) bike yesterday afternoon & took him to the park to teach him to ride properly - chasing after him at close quarters & trying to catch him every time he wobbled was almost as wearing as racing!
  • Options
    what - 5m eay
    why - recovery day
    last hard - yesterday race PB
    last rest- 8 days ago

have discounted my pb last year at paddock wood as too many people have said its a short course about 1 min short so hence my new pb is 41.06.
    bt thanks, i shall continue with my new look training ready for wilmington.
  • Options
    Morning Everybody

What: 5mile am easy done, pm 8 mile recovery
    why: mileage building

a good weekend for lots of people either racing or running have a good week in recovering
  • Options
    Hi all. My usual 'pathetic' posting in comparison to you all:

What: gentle 5K along the canal and round the park at luncthime

Why: it's on my new schedule in preparation for the Wilmington 10K

Last hard: yesterday (first run over 40 mins for quite a while)

Last rest: saturday (due to hangover...not planned)

Here's hoping that it's not too hot at lunchtime for my run. Yesterday was a bit of a scorcher in Essex.
  • Options
    Not Bob Dylan again BR?

3 degrees this morning! Lovely and sunny though.

What: longish swim in a minute, then physio (shoulder) and either long run or long bike later
    Why: Haven´t done a long bike or run for ages! And the pool is on the way to the physio
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest; Thursday
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: weights later
    Why: rest day
    Last hard: Sat and Sun
    Last easy: Friday

Back into proper training now after last week's recovery. 3 weeks of hard training, then a week of tapering before the Great Cumbrian 1/2.

BR, hope you're not feeling too sore this morning. That was a brave run yesterday.

Enjoy the training/recovery everyone.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    What 12m already done.
    Why Went to bed early on Sat feeling sick and didn't run Sun - dodgy Chow mein I think
    Last rest Yesterday
    Last Hard - today

Well done Howser, for PB and for being honest with yourself.
  • Options
    Peeps!

what: nothing. Tapering and have a very bad back.

Well done to those who raced yesterday. Terrific efforts!

Happy running!
  • Options
    Morning All.

Very happy with the weekend training, covered 34 Miles on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

What: 5 Miles Easy
    Why; Marathon Schedule Says So

Last Hard: Yesterdays 20 Miler
    Last Long: Yesterdays 20 Miler
    Last Rest: 10 Days ago

Looking forward to another week of high milage, feeling good, preparation for the marathon seems to be going well. On the strength of this weekends 20 miler finishing in 2:41, I might even revise my predicted finishing time down from 4 hours to 3.5 hours.

LL
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

What:nothing
    why:'cause I'm sick and have just crawled out of my sick bed for food. Said I had a sore throat yesterday, now have a raging throat and a head like I've done a few rounds with Mike Tyson. Therefore, most of today will be in my bed and hope it disappears as fast as it came. I've doubled the echinacea and normally that works in a day or two, so fingers crossed.
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:Friday

Happy training folks!
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't manage to post the race report yesterday - Dad was readmitted to hospital on Saturday and we were all over the place and had to rush off to hospital after the race yesterday!

Sunday Race Report: Liverpool Corporate Cup 5K.

Started off feeling really tired because had been up late the night before and was really shattered. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and the crowds were fantastic. There were lots of people in fancy dress and there was even one guy who was dressed like the '118' guys and he was shouting 'got your number' which really boosted everyone along.

So initially I started at a decent pace but then the heat wore me down and I think I was probably down to doing 13 min miles really by the midway point. At the modway point they had laid on water so I was grateful for that but before I got there, there was the 'Upper Parilament St' hill to get past! Gosh was that hard. With the heat and the crowds I found that really tough going so I ended up run/walking twice which really disappointed me because I CAN run 5K!! Anyway after that stretch it was all down hill until turning into the finishing straight. From the half way point I found my pace and was striding along then without too much trouble. I felt really strong and was probably down to 10 minute mile pace by that time! Finished in 35:47 which I thought was okay considering my R4L time was 44:40!!

Today....

What: Gym session
    Why: recovery & daily routine
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest: Saturday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

What: Nothing - again.
    Why: My left foot has been playing up since the Nike 10K last weekend. It feels very tender around the arch area - kind of like tendinitis feels, only on the inside edge of and just underneath the arch. I've rested it now since Thursday after a very painful run and will try a gentle run tomorrow to see how it feels. I'm hoping I've just mildly strained something and it isn't anything more serious like plantar fasciitis - I can't find anything on the net exactly describing the symptoms so hopefully that means it's nothing major!
    Last hard: Wednesday's tempo run, made harder by foot pain.
    Last rest: Yesterday, Saturday, and Friday. And tonight.

Feeling very fed up. Windsor half is in less than a fortnight and my furthest long run is 10.5 miles, two weeks ago.

At least it's sunny though!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Sorry Cath - you must have posted while I was composing! Sorry to hear about your dad - hope he's OK? Very well done yesterday: that's a great time - nearly 10 minutes off your R4L time. Brilliant!
  • Options
    Well done Cath! From 44+ to 35+ minutes, there's progress for you!

Hilly, fingers crossed for you. Provided it is possible really to spend the time in bed and not get up too soon it often seems to be the case that the violent ones are short ones.

Aw Spud, sympathy. Bad backs stink. Been there. Happily, not recently.

What: still just walking, done a couple of miles. Not stiff, but a couple of twinges (right knee, some of the connecting bits, not quite identified what, but it is familiar from way, way back).

Actually, not stiff after 18 miles Saturday is an achievement I am inordinately proud of. Not to say smug even, as I watch my eldest son, who ran the Nottingham half yesterday attempt to come downstairs.

Run/recover well all.
  • Options
    Minkin - He's alright but it's a bit of a shock because he wasn't even doing anything this time and he'd done everything he was told. He's very positive even though they have said he has had a second heart attack - we're waiting for the consultant to see him this morning to see what they decide.
  • Options
    Morning all

Impressive weekend running from many folks out there. can't remember all of them but BR's marathon seems to stand out for determination in fcae of weather adversity - respect.

hilly - get well soon. LizzyB - do you keep a trianing diary - seems to me you feel at the moment you think you need to do a hard run, swim, bike each and every day to just stay 1 step above couch potato land. Please don't get obsessive on us.

Anyway I had a nice 10k on sunday. A bit of rolling start followed by a gentle downhill first km 4:10 (short?) and onwards downhill for the second km 4:20 (and I felt I was speeding up!) and then we turned uphill for the next 3km avg 4:50, continuing to catch people. Undulating terrain over km 6 & 7 and spurning the water station (usually causes choking and coughing fit) I had reached the stage where I was no longer regularly catching folk. little niggle from the achilles meant that the first part of km8 was a bit tetchy but then we got to a steady gentle downhill to km 9.2 and I was feeling great. Unfortunately what goes down must come up and around the hairpin with 800m to go the change in gradient felt like a Tyson left hook. pushed hard and managed to get ahead of 1 runner and was closing on another. however, the sprint finish was left behind somewhere and I settled to stagger in behind in 45:30 ish. On one months running post achilles lay-off I was q pleased - only 30 secs down on last year and 90secs down on early may's times.

maybe this basebuilding is working!

today what : 5m recovery at 65-70% whr
    why: recoveyr and basebuild
    last hard : sun
    last rest : sat.
  • Options
    Well done to all you racers, some impressive results (BR & BT going well as ever) and no shortage of effort from the rest of us (LL et al) - hope you're soon recovered Hilly (have you tried upping your Zinc intake?).

Saturday 13th: -

What: Hilly 12 miles, started slow with steady efforts on hills, completed final mile in 5:51, good session.
    Why: Too saddle sore to do any more cycling (although have been enjoying it) - apart from a couple of easy treadmill sessions my first run in two weeks.

Sunday 14th: -
    What: Larkfield 10K, undulating multi-terrain, very warm with a sting in the tail uphill finish - started off at the back working forward right up to the finish, managed a comfortable 40:42
    Why: Fitness test (would not have run as hard on training run).

Calf problem has abated although legs are heavy and feeling very sluggish (no speed) - will have to lie to physio' tonight about having run at the weekend otherwise another telling off.

A lovely day today - have a good week all.
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone.

What: am 3.5 miles easy run, 5 miles hills on cross trainer, gym session, 20 minutes swimming drills - done, pm spinning
    Why: Knee getting better but decided not to push it just yet and finished on the cross trainer.
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Last hard: Sunday

Only six weeks to go before Dublin. Need to do at least three 18+ long runs over the next four weeks if I am going to avoid a painful marathon.
  • Options
    Hi all

Thanks for the congrats yesterday, although a pb was expected as I had only done two half marathons before - first Buxton, very very hilly in 2:12 and then Newark a few weeks ago, very very hot in 2:06. Thankfully the Robin Hood half wasn't quite as hot as that but still hotter than I expected.

My aim for the race was sub-2hrs, after the first couple of miles at about 9:30 pace was already worried that I had a minute to make up, however after this I started to pick up a bit although pace ranged from 8:10min/mile to 9:30 - although not as wayward as usual. About half way around I thought I was about on target for 2hrs and just hoped I didn't finish in 2:01. Going throught the park was nice, quite shaded and a lot of people around and I saw Popsider. Had a bad spell from about 7/8 miles to about 11 when my feet were sore and I felt sick and wanted to stop. For a while it was like I had a split personality - one half saying 'stop, you know you want to' the other going 'carry on you've only got a couple of miles left'. Anyway I hit 11 miles in about 1:37ish so thought I had 23minutes to do 2.1 miles and even though my brain wasn't functioning too well by this time I knew that if I could at least keep the pace going I should be well inside 2hrs. The last stretch along the embankment seemed to go on forever but at last came around to the finish when the man with the mike shouted 'you've got ????seconds to get under two hours, come on!' Managed a bit of a sprint and got under 2hrs and stopped my watch on 1:56:15 - my chip time is recorded as 1:56:05 so I'll go with that. Very pleased.

I passed someone being put into an ambulance by the QMC just past 9 miles, I realise now it was probably the guy who died.

BR, I know you must be disappointed but it was pretty hot when I finished and you'd got nearly another hour of it - getting hotter all the time. I've looked at the results and being in the top 15 can't be bad - better than 328th anyway.

Today: may have a little run around later, just a few little aches and pains from yesterday.
  • Options
    AW - well done on sub two hours. Isn't it strange how the last mile always seems to be the longest?
  • Options
    Well done on the 10 minute pb Alison.

Also, well done on ignoring the voice in your head telling you to stop. If you give in to it once, it shouts even louder the next time!

Congratulations
  • Options
    The last mile at nottingham goes on forever! Last time I ran the race I was running straight into horizontal rain - bit different from this year.

sfh - thanks for your concern! I do keep a training diary, but have had a bit of a 'bad' month, training wise - took longer than expected to get over a fell race, and have had lots of commitments as well - all of which have affected my training and overall fitness. But hopefully getting back on track now. Had a good swim and lovely bike ride in the sun today, maybe an easy recovery run later (or a trip to the pub). I'm too lazy to get obsessive!
  • Options
    Nice report Alison. One day I'll have to run the last mile of the half marathon instead of foolishly veering off into no man's land!

For a split second I nearly stopped at the 24 mile marker but, as TT implies, it would be like crossing the Rubicon. Do it once and the temptation is greater next time.

Was in the top 14 until the turn onto the grass and the cramp - last year's finishing position.

Still, this marathon business is not going to beat me. I'll keep doing them until I'm satisfied I've done as well as I can.

Really looking forward to following everyone else's marathon countdown and performances over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone.

Seems like an impressive set of runs over the weekend. I have done nothing yet today, (supposed to be a long run) this brought on by events out of my control.

Going to have some tea and if I feel up to it later 6 miles before bed.

WILL get the longer runs in this week - at least one 8 and one 10 miler. If I haven't posted both of those by the GGR on Sunday I will be dissapointed with my prep for Octobers Kenilworth half - time is running out!

Take it easy

Andy

• Options
    Evening all.

Hilly sorry to see you are out with a cold, hope you recover quickly.

Great going again on your second race of the weekend Mike.

What: 10 miles ( 2 x 5 mile laps )

1st 5 Mile: 33:28
    2nd 5 Mile: 34:36

Why: Hoping to dip under 3:15 on next attempt at marathon, so thought I would do a 10 miler at marathon pace ( 7.25 pace ) but felt good and tried to keep at 7min/mile pace, finished in 1hr 8mins, so very pleased, and GPS said 6.50 min/mile so good days work me thinks.

Last Hard: Saturdays speed session/ today was not that easy!!!

Last Rest: Friday, forced due to cold all last week.

Have a 5k due next week, really want to do something special as have not done this distance on road before.

Laters