Options

Treadmill training

I run approx 25 miles a week, including a speedwork session and a long run. I've just started using the treadmill at the gym once a week to do a couple of miles at my target (ie faster than actual) 10K pace. I'd like to gradually build this up over the winter, so I'll be ready to knock some more time off my PB in the Spring. At what rate should I increase the mileage? Is a mile a month reasonable? Any suggestions or advice would be welcome!

Comments

• Options
    The rule of thumb is to not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. However, if you are quite new to to running I would possibly recommend 5%. Your joints and muscles need to develop at the same time and you do not want to risk injury.

Treadmill is a great pacing tool. You can do either a tempo run or intervalls. For the start I would not run longer than 30 mins on the treadmill, maybe when you are able to cover 3.7-4 miles in 30mins then you are already strong and can go even longer.

Treadmill running should not be in the centre of your weekly running, those slower runs are equally important.