Options

Too hot to Run ??

All,

I have just completed the Robin Hood Half (2:04) and had the same problems I had for the London Marathon, when I'm in training I seem to very easily get into a grove and just keep running, the miles fly by and I get to enjoy the countryside... Problem is, turn up the heat i.e This years marathon and yesterdays half and I feel like a knackered old kart horse and get Jimmy Saville coasting past me.

As soon as its too hot, I loose mass amounts of fluids and my legs feel like they want to give up at 4 miles, and I barely manage to keep moving.. compare this to a cool day in training I can run for ever (ish)

Its really beginning to annoy me now as I know I can do a lot better times than I have shown in these events.

Will I have to run all my events in the Arctic or does anyone have any ideas that may help.

p.s I train 3-4 times a week with at least an 8 mile run on sundays.

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I can't help really, but I do sympathise - I feel exactly the same in the heat. All summer I've struggled not to have to take walking breaks on even a 3-4 mile run which I can normally breeze round. Last week, when it was cooler for a few days, I flew round my training runs no bother.

I don't know what the solution is. I have the Windsor half in less than a fortnight and I'm hoping the weather cools down before that or I'm stuffed, especially as my training was interrupted by a two-week holiday and my longest run to date has been 10.5 miles ...
  • Options
    I did the Lake Vyrnwy half yesterday and blew up at 9 miles. I just can't run in the heat and there's no way I can get used to it.
  • Options
    Train in the south of France? One does acclimatize to heat. Any trick to get cooler (douse cap with water, freeze your drinks bottle before leaving, whatever).

Other people will be hot too, although that is no consolation when it's a personal best you are chasing.

Write yourself a little note saying how much you hate running in the heat.

Open it in November. It won't help, but it might cheer you up as your knees go purple and frostbite threatens your nose.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Again I sympathise as I too under perform in hot weather. Some people's core temperature just raises more quickly and the only way to keep the temperature down is to run more slowly, no help though when we're racing or trying to!

Doing all the things Stickless mentions is a help, but you'll most probably still have to revise your time targets when the weather is hot.

Sorry not much help and yes I get very frustrated by it too. That's why last summer I trained for a triathlon to give myself a different target. I've now decided that I'll do some more triathlons through the summer months which for me just takes the disappointment out of not being able to run at my best.

When the weather then cools down I find I'm just as fit if not better from it!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    That's a good suggestion, Hilly. I quite fancy the idea of adventure racing - probably nothing too 'serious' at first, something like the ones run by Trailplus which are just one-day events. There's still a running section but it's not the sole focus which takes the pressure off a bit.

And it's very true that you do notice an improvement in fitness as soon as the weather cools down, which is nice.

Just doesn't help with trying to race in the summer!
  • Options
    I sympathise too. Training went to pot over the summer, I have a half this coming Sunday and by Saturday just gone my longest run was just under 8 miles.

However, I managed 12 miles on Sunday - in the heat - and although it wasn't comfortable on the skin, I got through it in one piece.

The secret weapon? My father! He came with me on his bike and carried far more drink than I could have carried myself comfortably. I drank 2litres in the morning before running - and another 1.5 litres during the run itself. I found that really made all the difference - although I was still hot, for the first time I felt properly hydrated whilst running in the heat, and I wasn't worried about running out of drink so didn't need to ration myself.

Don't know how that would work on a race day (although there are water stations!) but I know that having done the training run in the heat, I feel more comfortable about attempting a race in the heat.

If you have any friends/family who could be a support team on a long run, I can thoroughly recommend it!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Obviously drinking is important and everyone should be fully hydrated going into a race. However, past experience has taught me that sometimes even in hot weather you can overdrink making running even more uncomfortable (feel it sloshing around in the stomach) so it's important to find how much fluid is right for you as we're all so different!

Showeres on the course would be nice:o)

Minkin-adventure racing sounds fun and as you say through the summer would take the sole focus off running.

For me road/x-country running will always be my first priority, but after the last 2 summers with hay fever that brings on asthma symptoms and suffering in the heat I just knew that I needed another focus through the summer that still involves run training.
  • Options
    Seems that I'm not the only one here that gets very frustrated at under performing in the heat (maybe of could of chosen better wording here...)

I think the problem is certainly aided by lots of drinks etc, but this is one thing I found to be a distinct lack of on Sunday for the Robin Hood Half, after running the London full I think your expectations become very high for other events.

The water stops should of been doubled at least, there were times on the run where I new I was dehydrated in a big way and was not a happy bunny.

It took me soo long to recover the fluids afterwards, I just sat and drank for hours.

I too like the idea of the Tri training, bit of swimming and cycling I'm sure will distract from running in the heat.

Problem is that whenever I book an event I will almost feel like pulling out if its too hot because I know I will not even slightly enjoy the run and that after all is what I want...thanks all for your feedback.

Just remembered !!! did'nt the England football team have some specials NASA vests that were basically like wine coolers and thenlower your core temp, maybe I should try and buy and Sell some of these !!

Or maybe the Camelbak packs? Does anyone use these???

:>)
  • Options
    One very hot summer when Cambridge had a half (first running incarnation) showers were provided! Not only by private citizens with a garden hose atop a ladder, but the fire department opened up a hydrant along the home stretch which I played in for some considerable time.

Though it was sobering, as I came home in about 2hr 15 (ah, those were the days) to see so many better runners strewn about the wayside prostrated by the heat.

I think I could take to trail running at any time of year.
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    Nigel,
    I agree with the others who have said that no matter how bad it feels, training in the heat helps you acclimatise to it (and we had plenty of it this summer).
    The Robin Hood was warm and I felt it a bit in the last three miles but I kept reminding myself that only a month or so ago I was running in 35C of heat. When I was younger I used to absolutely dread running in the warm but now, I don't mind as I know that if I can get through running in the heat when it cools down in the autumn I will be flying!!
    I think that if you can mentally get over the idea of running in the warm then you are part of the way there. The other part is religously keeping yourself hydrated, and experimenting with different amounts before the start of the race (as someone has said it is possible to overhydrate and believe me that feels terrible!) I would be keen to know how much you drink the days before and the morning of the race. If you were feeling the signs of dehydration at 4 miles, it kind of sounds as if you are not taking on enough fluids.

Also you should get into the mindset that when it is warm, you cannot expect to run as fast or or feel as pleasant as when it is cooler. That is why professionals tend to dread Championship marathons as they are run when it is too warm.
    September/April races always run the risk of being warm, just as they can be very cool. If you know you are a cool weather runner why not look at an October-November/Feburary-March race? There are loads of them about.

• Options
    Heat is bad, humidity is even worse! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't seem to run a step when the mercury rises.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's definitely the humidity that's the worst thing about running in the heat.

I find it quite hard to judge the volume of fluid I need before a race, especially if it's a morning race. Normally I run evenings and will consume a good two litres of water plus a couple of cups of tea during the day, which is normally adequate. I leave about an hour an a half between my last fluid consumption and my run, otherwise I tend to develop a stitch.

Morning race days are always difficult. Usually races are on Sundays so the idea would be to drink plenty on the Saturday. I never seem to manage this as I'm always out and about on Saturday and never drink as much as when I'm at work because there are never loos around when you want them!!

On race morning I try to drink a load of fluid when I get up, then try not to drink any apart from a few sips for about an hour or so before the race starts. This is quite hard if it's a hot day and you're having to wait around with nowhere to shelter from the sun. Trouble is, if I drink much before the race I can feel it sloshing around my stomach, which isn't pleasant and tends to result in a stitch.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minkin-I think the best way to hydrate before a race is to do it over several days before the race. I try to drink at least a litre a day for 2 or 3 days before a race and then just take small sips of drink on race morning. If the race is 10m-1/2m I take a small hand held bottle in summer with my own drink in and find this with the odd cup of water over my head is enough to see me through.

I do try to carry a small bottle of drink in my bag when I'm out and about and at work I have one on my desk, but like most people there are days where I know I don't drink enough!
  • Options
    I took my own bottle of water on Sunday (as well as the ones my father carried for me) & I'm going to do the same in the half on Sunday. I've got one of the Nathan bottle-carriers with an added pocket, and though it was a little odd at first & I noticed the weight of the 50cl bottle, I soon forgot it was there. It didn't chafe either, which was a nice surprise!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where you can get those doughnut-shaped bottles which have a hole for your hand through the middle? I find most water bottles are too large to be comfortably carried in the hand.

Hilly, I think that sounds like sensible advice. On average I must drink 2-3 litres a day - I get through 2 litres at work then must have at least another half litre or so in the evening. Maybe I'm drinking too much? I think I do try to overcompensate on race mornings for the fact that I won't be able to drink just before the start.

I try to work on the 'clear pee' principle!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minkin-the runaid bottles can be got off most online sports sites and in most local sports stores.

On race morning the best thing to do is to drink upto about 1 hr before the race then drink nothing until 10 mins before the race starts. This apparently helps with the sweating process.
  • Options
    Interesting comments from everyone, I think not carrying my own drink was a big mistake, I should of realised when I got up that it was going to be a hot one.

Does anyone use the Camelbak's or do you just use a drinks belt ? I have a drinks bottle belt but like the idea of the camelbak?

My fluid intake before the race was very good, I was making a real effort all the way upto the final hour to drink well. I probably had at least two litres of water a day and then a sports drink in the final hour leading up to the race.

Problem I find is that my thirst and temperature never went down, as soon as I had finished one drink and carried on past the station I could of gone back for half a dozen more.

The most painful part of the run was my legs totally loosing interest in running and the aching and lack of strength in them was not nice at all. I felt like I had never run a yard in my life.

You live and learn I guess, plenty more hot weather training, a cap during the summer months and fifteen water bottles attached to me should do it....thanks all
  • Options
    minkin - if you get a run-aid bottle, get a big one. I found with the little one that it was ridiculously small and the spout thing on it was too small and too fiddly to drink out of - so I had to unscrew the whole cap in order to drink, spilt it everywhere, and found it very difficult to control like that, with the liquid coming round both sides and running at the same time. The big one has (I believe) a bigger spout, so may be more user-friendly. They're quite cheap though - think mine was £3 - so if you don't like it, it's not the end of the world.

I do think the bottle belt is the best method I've tried - you don't have to carry anything in your hands (which I hate) and the Nathan one was very easy to slide the bottle in and out of. The pocket's good for keeping keys/phone/energy gels/money etc in, too.

Nigel - problem with the camelbak is you need to have the bag to put it in. Which means straps over your shoulders (ow) and the bag itself against your back - which, if you're overheating already, would probably not help. I suspect that it's more useful for trailrunning than racing. However, that's only my opinion, having run with a very heavy rucksack on Friday night, which is obviously not the same thing at all. I still bear the scars on my neck and shoulders, though, and I couldn't believe how hot it was having sth clamped to my back.

Of course, if you ditched the fleece top, you might find running easier ;-)
  • Options
    Fair point on the Camelbak Snail, mind you the pain of my shoulders may take my mind off the pain of my legs...

You got me, I knew I should of taken the fleece top off.

There were a few people running on Sunday with Camelbaks I should i done a shoulder check afterwards.

The bottlbelt rather than the carrying gets my vote, especially if its a big bottle, I find I do not feel balanced (do not tell me to carry two bottles either)

Thanks.