Options

Organising a Fun Run

Help! I have been tasked with helping to organise a fun run to raise money for a local children's playground. How does one start? Is there any step by step guides out there or words of wisdom from people who have alreay done it?

Any advice or onformation greatly received.

T

Comments

• Options
    Not as simple as you'd think i'm afraid. Think you need some sort of public liability insurance if using public roads, also St Johns Ambulance would be useful, and local police might want to be informed too. Would suggest contacting a local running club to ask their advice and local council. If it's on private land rules probably differ. Go to www.runnerswebuk.com and see what running clubs are in your area. They are usually very helpful and of course will add to the runners increasing your funds!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips Tequila, it gives me somewhere to start.
  • Options
    Hi Therese, I've just typed a load of information for you, but something happened and I've just lost it all!! I'll try to remember it!

I'm secretary of a local running club and organise our local races, and I've recently organised a charity race as part of my marathon fundraising.

Firstly, are you a member of a local running club and where do you live?

If you are a member, it might be worthwhile asking them if they are willing to let you organise it under their club name, because then you'll be able to use their local Athletics Association's insurance and you won't have to pay for a permit. Otherwise, you will probably have to pay hundreds of £'s public liability insurance.

Is the race to be run on roads, and if so, how long is it? If you are wanting children to run in it as well, you will have to find out the minimum ages for the distance, I think if it's over 3 miles, the boys have to be 13 and the girls 15. I think that you can run a 'fun run' for children in conjunction with the main race and don't have to pay anything extra for that.

Is it going to be called a fun run or a race? If it's a fun run, you don't need a permit, which would mean that you'd have to get your own public liability insurance instead of using the Athletics Association's. I would suggest that you call it a race, with the emphasis on fun. I did for my race and bought some small trophies.

You'll need to have a risk assessment done of your race, with places marked for marshals, water stations etc. You'll need to have someone who has been trained to do this, so again, ask your local running club. You will also need 'Caution Runner' signs and mile markers.

I've probably missed something out, but if you have any other questions you can think of, let me know, and good luck!!
  • Options
    I've just thought, try and get as much sponsorship from local companies as you can, because it can be expensive.

If it's a road race, you need first aid available. I had to have an ambulance for my race and it cost £100 for the St John's Ambulance, although they didn't turn up on the day, and I didn't notice until after!, so that saved me some money.

If it's to be run on a local school field, playing field etc, ask the people who own it because they should have public liability insurance already so that would save you money.

It's all coming back to me now!!
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant MiniEgg!!

Thanks
  • Options
    Another thing Therese. Put the venue and the date on these forums to get as many forumites there. They are a generous lot, especially when it's all for a good cause.
  • Options
    Yes definitely prefer the small local charities to the big ones - they spend too much on admin!!
    Best of luck and let us know the date etc when you get it planned.
  • Options
    Will do - preliminary date of 30th Nov Middleton Cheney, near Banbury Oxon. More details will follow.
  • Options
    Sorry - mis-information on the date! will be in december but no date fixed yet.
  • Options
    How many miles from Banbury may be interested as i have rellies there
  • Options
    As many as 3!!! Hope to see you there.
  • Options