Options

Tuesday 16th September

Morning

What: nothing

Why: recovery week

Can't wait to get started on this base building and see if it really works.

Comments

• Options
    Itchy feet BR?!!

What: am, 5M easy done. pm, Frank Shorter session on grass to sharpen up for New Forest on Sunday. The efforts start long & get shorter & shorter.

Why: Race on Sunday

Last hard: Sat & Sun

Last rest: 25 days

Happy training.
  • Options
    Is that's why it's called a Frank Shorter session? :)
  • Options
    Morning,

What-Swim, but might rest instead.
    Why-Rest legs, tickley cough this morning, don't want it to turn into a full cold.
    Last rest-Thursday
    Last hard-Monday
  • Options
    Morning all

What: gym session

Running - 20 mins
    Rowing - 30 mins
    Cycling - 30 mins
    Elliptical - 20 mins
    Weights - 20 mins

and stepper at home tonight (30 mins)

Why: daily routine
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Saturday

Might not get back tonight because will be visiting Dad in hospital but will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Just to add though that after yesterday I realised that my 5K time (35:47) is now better than it ever was before I started my treatments!!!! So am now in the 'I'm even better than I was before' frame of mind.... although I have to say, I am working much much harder than I did this time last year!

Have a nice day all!
  • Options
    Morning

What: weight training am done, 10mile pm
    why: mileage building

have a good day everybody

• Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 mile jog done (very slowly), crosstrainer at lunchtime and another jog tonight.
    Why: weight loss and aerobic base building
    Last rest: 23 days

Have a good one
  • Options
    Morning All,

BR, in terms of a comeback race, I'm still going to be in Amsterdam the weekend of the marathon (trip is already booked), but fortuitously they have a 10K and 1/2M on the same day, so I'll likely do the 10K to test the water.

DCD, you did brilliant at Robin Hood, I saw you just in front of BR at 20M and then still going strong at 26M. Well run, that's an awesome performance in those conditions.

What: Rest day
    Why: I'm alternating a day off (or bike ride) with an easy jog for the moment.
    Last hard run: 30 days.
    Last rest day: Friday.
  • Options
    Peeps!

what: 10k steady. Tapering for New Forest 1/2.

Happy running!
  • Options
    Morning All,

what: club night tonight
    why: that's just when it is
    Last rest: yesterday.

I'm going away for a few days to visit friends and family so won't be posting til I get back. Just for the record, here's my training plan for my time away:

Wed: 6m easy
    Thu: 15 x 1 min OR 30 mins tempo
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 7m steady
    Sun: 90 mins easy (11-12 miles)
    Mon: rest
    Tue: 10 x 2 mins
    Wed: 10m easy

And then back home! I'm also expecting to spend at least one day hiking, so the runs might get moved around a bit.

Have a great week everyone. Good luck BT and everyone else racing at the weekend.
  • Options
    Morning all.

What: Tuesday Night Speed Session, 1 Mile Jog Warm up, 4 * 1.5 Miles at 15KMPH with 400M recoveries, then 1 Mile Jog Warm down.

Why: Tuesday is always speed session day, and my Dublin Training schedule says this is what I should be doing today.]

Last Rest: 11 Days ago
    Last Hard: Sundays 20 Miler
    Last Long: Sundays 20 Miler
    Last Easy: Yesterdays 5 Mile slow recovery run.

Looking forward to Friday and a well deserved rest.

LL
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Club night tonight so whatever comes along.

Last Hard - Yesterday 12m
    Last rest - Sun

Anyone got any thoughts on stride length and running style? I feel that everyone has a natural cadence which they are comfortable with and is difficult to break out of.

For me I can't seem to run faster than 8:20m/m, am 6'4" and relatively athletic yet 5'2" 'pear' shaped women or bent over old men with limps easily overtake me in 1/2 marathons (sorry about that but it's not meant to upset anyone else but me).

I feel fit enough, I have been running for 1 year, 30-40m/week speed improving over short distances but longer ones are not moving. Should I drive off more from my toe, longer or shorter strides - is there some resource that can help me develop a more efficient, economic and faster running style.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning guys and gals,

What: Hoping for a comeback today as my foot feels fine; not even a twinge this morning. If it comes back I'll have to put it down to my new shoes. Has anyone taken back a pair of shoes they've already worn? (I got them at Sweatshop). Planning on up to 11 miles tonight at a nice easy pace (no sense in damaging myself again).
    Why: Windsor half in less than a fortnight and am panicking slightly that my longets run has only been 10.5 miles done over two weeks ago.
    Last hard: Probably about last Wednesday.
    Last rest: Hmmm ... yesterday, Sunday, Saturday and Friday! Am itching to get out there!

BR - I'm also thinking about the base training thing, and will likely give it a go after Windsor is out the way. It makes a lot of sense to me and I do like to know WHY I'm doing things rather than just doing them (which I've tended to do up till now).
  • Options
    Morning all, lovely day again.

Physio last night, gait analysis - identified a few weaknesses - some core stability/strengthening work to be done, laid to rest a few concerns.

What: Hilly 6.5 mile loop at steady 7:15 per mile pace.
    Why: Calf almost fully recovered, need to get my @rse back into gear
    Last hard: 2 days ago (Larkfield 10K)
    Last rest: 3 days ago.

Bod could write a book in answer to your questions - cadence is all important and unless you're doing something obviously wrong (or getting injured) I'd suggest not changing or interfering with your natural running style.

It took me about 3 years to get my 1/2 marathon time down from 1:50 to 1:23 (I'm 46 going on 18 by the way). To get faster you have to run fast. I do a similar mileage to you, perhaps a bit more - whilst the weekly duration/endurance runs are the bedrock of the week's routine it's important to introduce quality faster sessions (intervals and hills etc) so that you have a variety of runs over varying distances at different pace (exercising and developing fast and slow twitch muscles etc). After a while there should be a training effect and you WILL get faster. Good luck

• Options
    Morning-

What: 4miles, and yes, everything still works, included two faster bits. Ended up with a bit of spring still left in the legs. Since spring in legs is a rare commodity at any time, really quite chuffed.

Bod, I always imagined that's why, in training, you do different sorts of runs, to practice different sorts of styles. For two brief stretches today, I practiced fast, thinking about getting more movement in hips, sacroiliac and friends, remaining loose. In my dreams I run 5K races that way. The days when I feel 'orrible are dedicated to developing a get-you-round pace. Sure different types of session build up different aspects of stamina and speed, but in order to run those different sessions, you have to develop efficient styles for each speed.

I always imagined developing a faster half marathon pace would be a matter of gradually stretching the faster intervals and shrinking the recovery times eventually to nothing.

Good luck anyway in your efforts.
  • Options
    Ooooh, what FANTASTIC weather today - nay a cloud in the sky.

Good to see you back Wardi - just how big is a Capybara?

Bod - I have stride problems too - and it's got worse since a serious knee injury two years ago. I must be the worlds fastest shuffler. I'm trying hard to heel strike and not drag my feet, but without someone whacking me on the leg with a birch twig every time I commit some running misdemeanour, I'm finding it hard to run 'properly'. I too would love to know how to sort out my stride!

What: An adventure, once I get my work done - will report back later (I hope!)
    Why: Want some fun - and the weather is lovely
    Lst hard: Saturday for running, yesterday on the bike, when I 'blew up' big style!
    Last rest: Thursday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone, another day off work for me with the lurgy, but not feeling ill now, just a rotten runny nose-nice (NOT!) Heart rate was a little elevated this morning on waking up, but by less than 10 bpm so might go out this evening for a run with the club and do the short route. I don't like to give in to these things!

Some good training going on again today and what beautiful weather we're having. I can't believe I'm still in shorts and t-shirt and it's mid Sept!
  • Options
    morning

i had hilly's lurgy too, but my hr was ok this morning so i might go for an lsd ride

last rest: yesterday (ill)

last hard: friday
  • Options
    Morning everyone.

What: am 4 miles @ 10k pace - done, pm 15 miles easy cycling.
    Why: Back on schedule
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Wednesday

Knee survived yesterday morning's training and a hard spinning session in the evening. So tested it out with some 10k paced running and all was well. Phew!
  • Options
    morning all

Bod - maybe what seemed to work for me will work for you. I was struggling on my speed sessions earlier this year until I made a lucky discovery - trying to run at tempo pace into a strong headwind, I deliberately cut my stride length just a shade - and found I was going much faster (10s per mile) than I expected.
    I concluded that, in straining for extra speed, I must have been over-striding slightly & running less efficiently.
    From that point, legspeed and pace on speed sessions improved significantly.
    Worth a try?

what: (tentatively) 8½ - 9½ miles easy
    why: no long run at weekend due to races

last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Fri

depends on how my legs feel when I get in & how much time I've got this evening.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike, I was playing around with much the same, I ran 12m on Mon and ran a few of them 30s/mile faster when concentrating on faster, 'chopped' strides. HR went up though so not necessarily more efficent.

Went back a few pages and found an article by Hadd about only running really slow (50bpm lower than max HR) as a means to building a good lactate threshold. Is this what BR means when the say aerobic base building??

My target of a 1:45 half marathon (8m/m, pb 1:52) is still way off after recent 10m race, I ran 8:12m/m but felt I was on my limit!
  • Options
    afternoon,
    what - tempo run 3M (1.5M warm up/down)
    why - cos Bt says its good for you
    last hard - sun

Graham youre not that bloke who tried to talk to me in the race on sunday and i did a shut - up hand signal?

I wish everyone a very good taper this week ready for new forest
  • Options
    BR - The People who Grinned Themselves to Death by the Housemartins.

Morning all.

After a weekend driving support on the Round Norfolk relay, it's time to do some running myself. Club night, will take it easy, 12 days to marathon. And counting. :-o

Have fun.
  • Options
    H - I don't think that was me, I started from the back and chatted with a few people over the first 2K - after that it was all I could do to breathe let alone talk!

Good luck for the NF, it's a lovely run, have gone well there in the past. Sadly I'm having to withdraw, had entered the marathon but have not had enough recovery time since recent injury. Hope to be fit to resume longer distances in October.
  • Options
    Treadmill session of 3 x 2000m @ 5k pace with 400m walking recoveries.

Then did an easy mile on tired legs, as suggested by popsider - in the campaign to up my mileage generally.

• Options
    Hello all

Went for a steady (very) run of about 3 1/2 miles around the park. A bit tired from Sunday and legs still a little bit sore but not too bad. Nice day to be out.
  • Options
    Evening.

Some good stuff as always.

Not a great deal of time today due to sleeping and the dreaded dentist but made time for some speed work.

What: Speedwork session

100.200.300.400.500.600.500.400.300.200.100mwith 200m recovies inbetween, all distances were at speed 18kph ( 3.19km pace ) total 7km of running.

Plus some core stability work

Why: Trying to keep tuesdays for speedwork and also lack of time today.

Last Hard: Yesterdays 10 miler and todays speed session were good hard sessions.

Last Rest: Friday

Squash tomorrow a very competative game no doubt, and I reckon a very stiff Speedie will be hobbling about thursday morning.

One last question Re: Speedwork, even though have done it in the past but not consistantly, how long a session should be looking at, or are we mainly looking at a short hard quailty session.

Have a good evening all.

• Options
    Yes, a gorgeous day - ran up a local mountain (well, big hill, really). nothing so English as paths here, so a right battle through undergrowth and lumpy moraine. Got repelled by scree slopes at one stage (crossing them was not going to be a good idea in running shoes and shorts) and had to do a huge detour, but didn't matter - the views were fantastic AND I got to paddle in the sea at the end!

It all took 1 hr 42 ... no idea of distance, probably only eight miles or so but I am shattered now!
  • Options
    Hi All,

What: Comfortable 8 miles @ 7 min mile pace.
    Why: need to build mileage a little ready for half

Feeling good - if I can keep that up for a full 13.a bit miles I will be very happy, and I don't think I am far off of doing that.

:o)

Andy
  • Options
    Evening all,

2nd 9 mile jog done. Much better than this morning. Felt very comfortable.

LizzyB - your runs always sound so much more fun than mine. You've got mountains and sea, I've got housing estates and a stagnant canal!