Options

too eager?

I am a beginner now happy with 10km runs, do you think it is normal/possible to progress to 26km in under a month?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure I understand the question, ER.

Do you mean 26k for the whole month or on one run?

And why 26K? It's a funny distance!
  • Options
    Normal = no
    Possible = yes
    Sensible = definitely not!
  • Options
    Pantman hit the nail on the head.
    There is a rough guide to increasing mileage called the 10% rule. Dont increase mileage by more than 10% per week, but I think you probable mean to get to a long run distance of 26km. I suspect that even if you are doing quite a lot of 10k runs even several times a week, that such a rapid buildup would be risky.
    I built up my long runs by adding 10 minutes per weekly long run from an hour up to 2 hours, with even some repeated weeks at the same "time on my feet". I used a heart-rate monitor to prevent drifting into tempo pace. I wasnt too concerned by the achieved mileage either.
    Unless you are an exceptional athlete, are lucky, and have some decent base mileage, you risk getting injured, with a sudden 26km buildup.
    Are you committed to a particular race, or have agreed to attempt some other challenge? You can reach your goal, but take it easy and you will get there in one piece!