Options

Done it again...

Promised myself that I would not drink alcohol in large quantities and would take my running seriously. Last night, a few drinks after work to celebrate some events we'd organised turned into a heavy session. 3 of us consumed 4 bottles of wine and a packet and a half of cigarettes (I'm an asthamatic and don't normally smoke).

Today I'm supposed to be doing a 30 min run but I'm actually consuming Resolve at my desk, wishing that it was tomorrow.

I'm feeling miserable and guilty because I've trained really hard over the last few weeks and feel as though one blow-out has blown all my training. They say that confession is good for the soul, hence this posting. Does this happen to anyone else out there?

Comments

• Options
    frequently !!!

One little "slip" wont ruin all the hard work, and just sometimes you need to have a good blow out.
    Don't feel guilty, and it will no doubt make the weekends training go well
  • Options
    Coco - it happens to me quite frequently! Dont beat yourself up about it - a blowout every now and again is good for the soul! If I were you I wouldnt bother going for a run today - you wont be able to run very well and you'll just beat yourself up even more! Get a good nights sleep, consume lots of water and good food and go for a kick-a** run tomorrow.

D
  • Options
    Everyday in fact. But if you can't be good today, remember, there's always tomorrow. If at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again.
  • Options
    There's no way that one blow out will have spoiled weeks of good quality training. Don't beat yourself up over it - you are allowed days off from training and healthy living.

Coddle yourself today, and make up for it by adding 10 mins to your next run.
  • Options
    Spend a bit of time perhaps, while you recover physically from the binge, thinking about all the running things you want to do.

In my battle to get well, the temptation to give up after every relapse, wallow in self-pity, accept defeat and stop trying, was enormous. The best antidote was to recall the good times running, and plan for something special.

When's your next race? Any interesting training runs? Are you making the best of your training time? What sort of sessions are you running?

Think of the running you.

There are going to be relapse times. Just don't let them win the match.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your support. I am wallowing a bit today when really I shouldn't be. Yesterday's blow-out was actually really important in making me feel more integrated into the department where I work. A great bit of team-building was had by all!

The advice about forgetting my run today and making tomorrow's longer sounds like a great suggestion, Nessie, and I'm already looking forward to the release of running through the woods.

Stickless, you're right and I should focus on the running things I want to do. I am training for the Wilmington 10K on 26th October and am planning on trying a local running club next Tuesday, so there are things that I have got coming up and I can't afford to let this one blow-out let me down.

Thanks guys, your support and advice means a lot to me.
  • Options
    Hey so lots of positive things came out of it then...

We are supposed to be running for "fun", don't forget
  • Options
    Oh yeah....had forgotten that bit amidst the hangover pain. Good point....