Options

What should I be doing before I start my Marathon Training Programme?

Hello Everybody, I hope you can help me out here.

Once again I am planning to run the Rotterdam Marathon. I did most of the training for last year's one then couldn't run. (not because of injury, other commitments) Last year I followed the Hall Higdons intermediate programme and managed quite well, including one 20 mile run.

Since mid March my running has not been very consistent, some weeks nothing others 30k. Now I once again feel ready to start some serious training. My question is should I just concentrate on slowly building up my milage or would it be ok to do some speedwork as well?

I was thinking about doing something like this:

one tempo run 11k

one long run starting at 15k adding 1 or 2k each week

one speed session 400 meter repeats

one or two 5k recov.

I will start on my marathon training programme somewhere in December, the above would be in preparation of this.

I hope you can help

Comments

• Options
    Hi Annemieke. First of all I think you need the consistency before getting too ambitious. Then gradually introduce the quality running. What you have planned seems reasonable. I find it helps to plan ahead a little, make out a schedule for the week, for instance, that way it will be easier to focus on what you need to de. Pete.
  • Options
    Annemieke - have a look at the base training thread. I would say build up the mileage first.
  • Options
    either build up slow miles with base training, or do something like you are planning... either should work fine, if psychologically you will prefer the variety your current plan offers then stick with it
  • Options
    Thanks

OK change of plans, how does this sound,
    base training from now till december:

5 times a week 1 hour slow runs

1 tempo 10k, for fun

should add up to about 55k per week

maybe up the milage a bit after a month or so, upto December when I will start my marathon training.

Am I right in guessing that this would give me a good enough base to start on a marathon programme which includes speedwork?

I was actually planning to do just the opposite, focus on speed the coming months and then start marathon training to build on milage.

• Options
    Looks good to me.

How about making one of the 1 hour runs a bit longer, say 80 mins then add on 5 mins each week? By Christmas you'll be used to running for 2 hours and be able to crack on with your long marathon runs.

Good idea having the tempo run. Why not start just doing just 15 mins of it at 80% of your working heart rate and build this up gradually.

It may be 55k per week at current rates, but as you build your base you should find the distance you run in your hour runs increases.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks BR,

Like the idea of adding longer run, those are the ones I used to enjoy the most.

11k tempo runs are only ones I have been doing rather consistently over the past months, (with a group)

I am more worried about runnning nearly every day.

• Options
    What worries you about it?

If you feel run down, take a day off or just do half an hour to keep up the consistency.

If it's the time try and make it an important part of your day where you do your thinking or `chilling out'.
  • Options
    ok then: no worries
  • Options
    ... after a while you will worry more about the days when you can't run :)

Marathon is mainly aerobic and I agree with BR. The longer runs will give you strength and stamina.

In case you are bored of the tempo run you can try Yasso, 800m tough runninh, 400m jogging etc. you can do up to 10 repetitions.

Participate in a 1/2 marathon approx. 6 weeks before the marathon.
  • Options
    Thanks Urban Road Runner, 1/2 marathon may be difficult, I live in Ankara, not many races here (actually none).
  • Options
    Hello everybody,

I did my first base training this morning, one hour trying to keep my heartrate below 145 bpm. It's quite hilly out here and sometimes it went upto 155=160, however still an average of 148 so I quess I was doing ok. But to keep my heartrate this low I had to run very, very, very slow. I am to embarassed to tell you how many kilometers I covered in this time. I do hope that in the next few weeks time I will be able to run faster with the same heartrate, or will this take much longer?
  • Options
    Looks like you are doing the right training. The purpose of base training is go out and do slow long runs. Over the next few weeks you can gradually increase the time and distance. Until Rotterdam there are at least 6 months left. Eventually after 4 months you will be quite strong and then you can inject some speed sessions and more intense training, 8 weeks before the marathon.

A good rule is that you should still feel good enough after your run to be able to do another session.

BTW There is no such concept like embarassment in running :)