Options

Wed 24th September

BodBod ✭✭✭
Hello all, just off to do 8m at 132-142bpm. ABB!

Question for early starters, do you eat/drink before you run, and how long before? This a.m. I had a banana and a pint of H2O 30mins before...I don't like not having something but is pi$$es me off getting up early to then waste time!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Bod
    I sometimes have a cup of tea
    If theres time
    But usually not
    Never eat
    Need to get up 30 mins before to try and avoid trotties on route though
  • Options
    Goodmornıng everybody,

again a wonderfull day for running here, cool but sunny.

What: 1 hour slow
    Why: base training

When I do early runs I get up 30 mins before, and always start with a large coffee, sometimes a biscuit or a banana.

Happy running everyone
  • Options
    Morning,
    I start my day with a banana & glass of water. Then I make my high-carbo salad for work & then head out the door in 15-20min after getting out of bed.

What: am, 5M easy done, pm, 15M steady

Why: mid-week long run in my marathon training.

Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: 5 days ago
  • Options
    Good Morning - The Beatles

I don't eat before my morning run, come back and have cereal at home then a toasted sandwich when I get to work.

If I did eat before it would be a couple of slices of toast and bovril.

What: 4 miles easy done am
    pm Club 5k track race - don't know how I'll do post-marathon, I'll just `enjoy' taking part.
  • Options
    Morning all

What: Gym session without any running (second rest day after big session on Monday - will put in another big(ish) run tomorrow)

Cycle 30 mins
    Row 30 mins
    Elliptical 30 mins
    Stepper 30 mins
    Weights 30 mins

Why: Daily routine

Last Hard: Monday
    Last Rest: Sunday (well, resting completely!)

Also...

Wardi -- thanks. Lance Armstrong had much the same chemo as myself from what I can gather. It wasn't too bad to start with it just got progressively worse and then doubled the effects when I had radiotherapy given on top. Thankfully, I've been lucky in that some people feel the effects for up to a year afterwards whereas I'm more or less back on form only 4-6 months after finishing. Looking back now, I can hardly remember the crappy days, which is probably just as well!

Big Tim - thanks :o) Means alot.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Well done Br, much too easy for you, seemed appropriate, the next line as well...

People running round it's five o'clock
    Everywhere in town is getting dark

Morning run done 8m turned into 10! Bit fresh though
  • Options
    Even easier than Bob Dylan.

What-hour steady/hard then football training.
    Why-save petrol, run there instead.

Was going to start my morning running today but just can't get oout of bed.
  • Options
    Morning All

I try not to eat before any early run

What: 7 mile recovery run
    why: mileage building

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 mile jog done, weights at lunchtime and another jog tonight.
    Why: weight loss and aerobic base building
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Saturday

Bod - I just get up, dressed and out the door. Took a bit longer to get out this morning as I had to find a hat and gloves!

• Options
    Bod - I have porridge oats with yogurt before an early LSD run, but if I'm going fastish, I just have black coffee!

What: Another easy run to test out knee, maybe five miles slow as I'm straining at the leash at the moment.

And if the temperature rises over 5 degrees, I'm going out on my bike. Which will be challenging as there is a layer of grit and earth all over the roads (the council's anti-skid measures following the weekend's snow.. which has all gone!)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I really, really wish I could make my body get out of bed for an early morning run, but it just doesn't happen. Have tried setting the alarm early and getting all my kit laid out ready, but I just can't seem to make myself get up. There's even less chance of it happening in the dark winter months so have just resigned myself to being an evening runner for the moment. Which is fine, but it would be nice to have the option of a) running both am and pm or b) having free evenings.

What: Probably a return visit to Sweatshop to try on the shoes they've ordered in for me.
    Why: Trying to find some shoes that don't bruise my arches. Since returning to my old (and knackered!) shoes the problem has completely gone away. And rest day as I'm cutting down this week in preparation for Windsor on Sunday - 4 miles steady last night.
    Last hard: Haven't done a really hard run since last Thursday's tempo one.
    Last rest: Monday.

Lovely day - sunny but crisp. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Hi all. I'm a 'bed-bunny' and just can't do the early morning run thing. Weird, cos I used to swim every morning at 7am for years but seem to have lost the ability to get out of bed early enough these days. I'm blaming it on age!

What: rest, maybe a gentle swim. Should be yoga, but...

Why: ...I've been a bit stupid. Did the Chariots of Fire relay on Sunday, didn't warm up properly, didn't stretch and, yes, I pulled a muscle just below my left calf...badly. Ran on Monday (gently) but did hills and sprints with a new club yesterday because I was desperate to go to a club. This morning I KNOW that I should have rested instead. I can't even walk properly!

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: saturday
  • Options
    Morning, everyone...

What: Rest!

Why: I'm shattered. Next door neighbours recently acquired a baby. Baby hasn't learnt volume control. Manages to wake me up through three walls at 3am, 4.30am and 5.15am. I can sleep through my alarm clock - this baby has serious lung power. Will surely be a runner one day...

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: Monday
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 5 Miles easy
    Why: Schedule Says So

Last Rest: Sunday
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last long: Monday 13.1 Miler

Good Luck All with all your training and racing!
  • Options
    Hi all

never have been a morning person, so unable to add advice to those who seek to run early. Coco, you don't want the new club to think they're taking on someone too injury prone - pls take it easy. Cath, those are some sessions you're putting in, seriously impressed. LizzyB, I'm not certain that your "straining at the Leash" isn't a bit too much info for a freindly forum - hope you're not picking up too many bad habits from the Icelanders.

Oh so its fess up time, I skipped out on my planned monday run but rediscoverd the joys of running late yesterday afternoon. 8 or so miles gentle base building on the open downs, swallows cartwheeling, cows and sheep grazing, pheasants scuttling about, soft grass, blue skies, patchwork fields on one side, open country and the sea on the other - pure bliss. And at one point I felt the legs were turning like wheels, until I set off back and found I'd gone a long way downhill and I'd got a 70m climb back up :-(. Must arrange to do it more often.

what : ca 5m basebuild in less glorious surroundings.
  • Options
    Morning all. Usually have a bagel and/or a banana before a long run otherwise just an energy drink - I always eat/drink straight after.

What: Mon/Tues - 2 days of rest, recovery and replenishment - a sports massage (very good) and a couple of very easy 40 minute recovery runs, hips flexors and quads a bit tight otherwise everything in full working order.
    Why: Recovery from New Forest Marathon, preparation for Loch Ness.

Noticed the cold last night, Helly and gloves weather.
  • Options
    Hello folks.

Taper, taper, taper. Also for Loch Ness - bloody hell, Graham, new Forest Mara too! Mentalist!

Enjoy your collective Wednesdays.
  • Options
    morning all

yes there was plenty of maritime polar air round where I was training last night. 2 layers on for the first time in a while....

what: something pretty slow - but will try to make it as long as possible

why: racing on Sunday once more meant no long run on that day. So could do with something fairly long, but legs (hamstrings in particular) still feeling the effects of last night's efforts. Normally my speedier sessions don't involve more than about 23-24 minutes of efforts - so this was ~50% more than usual.
    Planned course has a number of "escape routes" to take a short cut for home if legs aren't up to it.

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Fri
    next rest day: Thu
  • Options
    I run most mornings fairly early and I never eat anything, I roll out of bed, put on the kit then just get going normally. I tend to eat porridge/ banana/ bagel straight after.

What: 75mins done this morning - really cold (needed gloves!!) and the first frost of the late summer/ autumn. Will do another 30-45mins later on as it's such a nice day.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,
    only water or sports drink before early run (early meaning before 6.30am) otherwise if it's a long session I get up for a teacake and poss. banana but an hour before at least. Take drink with me.

what 40 mins static bike
    10 mins upper body weights

why too dark to cycle
    feel I should do weights!

last hard yesterday eve the last 800yds of a 5 mile club run to catch someone on a hill and to the finish -almost!

last rest Sunday
  • Options
    Hi!

what: rest from running. Gym session later.

Happy running!
  • Options
    Oooh - road to recovery.

Easy five miler tuned into hilly but slow seven miler in the rain. Slapped wrist for me!

But it was SOOOOOO good to be out again!
  • Options
    Okay

Have abandoned the gym session. Was on a course today and it finished at 12 after which we adjourned to the local wine bar and had 'lunch' so I'm not really up to running or bouncing around a gym. Ugh.

Will go for a run this evening I think after have taken Dad to see the Doc.

Back tomorrow.
    Cath
    :o)
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone. Bod, I get up an hour before running and have a bowl of cereal with skimmed milk right away. Then 5 mins before setting out for the run I drink a can of diet coke to be fully hydrated. If its a long run I drink Lucozade sport during the run as well.

What: am 12 mile mid week long run, gym session, 20 minutes swimming drills - done, pm 15 miles steady cycling.
    Why: Dublin marathon training
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    afternoon all.

what : 6-7 miles steady with club
    why : marathon training / club night
    last hard : sunday
    last rest : monday

this marathon training is starting to take it's toll. starting to feel tired during day. When i'm running i feel fine though. Think my diet is ok and i'm getting enough sleep. Will carry on as planned this week and after this weekend's 20m long run will ease back for a week next week. I guess this is the sympton of having 2 months injury free running!
  • Options
    Evening all.

Always a drink and some jaffa cakes, can never have too much as it repeats even if its a couple of hours before hand.

What: Complete rest
    Why: Felt that I needed it
    Last Rest: Saturday
    Last Long: Sunday 18 miler
    Last Hard: Monday

Bye
  • Options
    evening all

what: still nothing

:-/

Andy
  • Options
    Went to gym with a friend just used bike and treddie
    Ran for 35 minutes did 2½ miles keeping heartrate at 129 bpm dunno if its good or bad winding down now till race day will do about 4 miles tomorrow or something similar.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good evening you enthusiastic people!

What:nothing
    Why:marathon taper

I'll be glad when I can post some training again!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    5 miles easy tonight after last night's thrash, just enough daylight left.

Before a morning run I normally have half a pint of water and a glass of orange juice. I look forward to brekky during the run.

Hilly..on the last Thursday before this year's FLM I ran a steady 4 miles interspersed with about 8x 200m brisk bursts. Helps to keep at bay that stuffed, twitchy feeling that happens during tapering.