Options

training by heart rate

There's lots of schedules available that give details of distance and speed to train at. But I am looking for schedules that specify heart rate zones
e.g. Monday 45 minutes @ 70-80%MHR

Has anyone come across articles or books that take this approach?

Comments

• Options
    "Precision Heart Rate Training" is a good book

You can get it from amazon
  • Options
    Try this

http://www.timeoutdoors.com/Run/training/3RUNMRS01031301E.htm

They've got scheduals for all abilities over all the distances and with various days training per week to suit your needs.
    No mention of distance whatsoever it's all by HRM.
    If you go into the detailed training explantions it'll explain the exact reason for each session and how to do it.
  • Options
    Heart Monitor Training for Compleat Idiots by John L Parker from Amazon.
    I use the programmes in the back of the book and have found that they work
  • Options
    A question: (not directly related)
    I am a female lwt rower who has started running in addition to my standard rowing/weight training in order to achieve my weight goals. I have had my lactate testing done for rowing - does anyone know whether the bands would be simlar for running or whether I shuld get a separate test done? So for example UT2 is working to a max HR of 154 for long low intensity stuff. I have run at this pace for 40 minutes before rowing training and it is comfortable, but was surprised at how fast I was going (I had to try this on a treadmill as I can't tell how fast I am on the road). I try to vary my runs a bit too - but have only been running for about 2/3 months.

Oh yes, and any tips on long term weight loss using running would be greatly appreciated!

Just to say that my endurance has also improved as a result of using running as cross training and it is fun! Hurrah!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions - I have printed out some of the website schedules. I am also keen to track down the recommended books.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Antonia,

I haven't had my HR's measured professionally but for running my '70% of WHR' is 148 with a max of 192, for rowing on the C2 my '70% of WHR' is 142 on a max of 185.

I think the lower max is explained by the fact that your body is supported in rowing.
  • Options
    Antonia, for serious weight loss you need to stay in the 60/70% WHR.
    If you're realy serious you need to run for over 2 hours so that your muscles use up all of their glycogen stores and have to to turn to fat for fuel. Basicaly you start to eat yourself!
  • Options
    thats not strictly true:

If you train for 1hr at 70/80%WHR you will burn more fat than if you train for 1hr at 60/70%WHR

Although the percentage of fat in the pie is less - it is a much bigger pie
  • Options
    Yes, it's back to the age old question of who burns the most fat in a 10K race,
    the 30 minute runner or the 75 minute runner?
  • Options
    The main concern for me is not losing strength but staying healthily just below weight so that when the weigh-in takes place I am suitably hydrated and haven't starved myself or done Atkins-stylie weirdness to make weight!

I've been reading Sally Edwards' Heart Rate training book (think that's her name) and her graphs are very interesting - they show the relative fat burnt between higher intensity, shorter runs and longer...I think there are many schools of thought and I'm going to be experimenting over the next few months!!
  • Options
    Oh...re the 2hr run thing.. it would be great to be able to do 2hr runs. I'm just trying to work out where it would go in my already crammed schedule!
  • Options
    AVD - I know what you mean

Im trying to put together a BASE training TRI schedule and i've got to fit in a:

Long Swim (75-90mins)
    Long run (90-180mins)
    Long Bike (4-7hrs)
  • Options
    you probably work full time too? I always give a wry smile when I hear about people who are lucky enough to be able to train however long and often they want - I find it extremely difficult and I'm aiming for GB trials. Anyone rich out there fancy sponsoring a lone female lightweight sculler??? HE he he he!