Options

HRM, HR, MAXHR?

Would like to understand why so many put on a lot of emphasize on their HR? Or buying the right HR gadget? Or marketing their max. HR?

For example, what does the max. HR say and how do you exploit that information? To me this is insignificant information, it is 190. So what? It does not say anything about my running.

Some measure their rest HR in the morning in order to determine if they are ill. However, in most cases you know that already without a HRM! My resting HR is approx. 45. So what?

In terms of pacing, this can't be too difficult. Let's assume you can run in four different paces. Jogging (very easy), steady run (you can still talk), tempo run (need to concentrate) and race pace (working it max). Do you really need a HRM for that?

Sometimes it is useful how many calories you have burnt off, but instead you can check yourself on a scale after your run.

There are a lot of more important factors than the HR. For example, your lung capacity, the VO2Max or your weight, which drive your running from.

This all leads to the question, why bother about HR?

Comments

• Options
    To you its insignificant but to me its very important:

I monitor my RHR - to watch for signs of overtraining (not ill)
    I aim to race a 10k at a beat or 2 below mt LT to get the most out of the run
    I use it to keep my HR down during an easy (or recovery)run (must people go to hard durining these
    I do my cycling intervals at set HRs

its like saying Why are yo so obsessed by pace - if you ran at a maximun effort for a distance you know you could not have gon faster - but if you run at 7minn miles how do you know at that one race you were not capable of more

Some people like Pace/miles others like effort/duration

• Options
    also as a sports nutritionist i am not interested in pace because this meens nothing - here effort is king and HR closley reflects effort

If, at our club, we go out for a group run and do say 7 miles at 7min miles - this meens nothing : for some this may be an allout 90%MHR effort - for the club elites it may have been a slow run achived at 75% - Those who worked at the highr HR will have used up mor kcals than the 75% bunch at the same pace over the same distance - this info is important when planning/optimising an athletes diet
  • Options
    Also with the growing popularity of periodisation in training - a lot of coaches (also on here see threads on base training) %Hr/effort is used as a guide on how to structure your training during the different periods of training
  • Options
    Aslo you point out VO2 max as being important - The heart rate is much easier to measure and is a very good approximation of VO2. The relationship between percentage of maximum heart rate and percentage of VO2(max) is very predictable and is independent of age, gender, or level of fitness. 55% VO2(max) corresponds to about 70% max heart rate. Thus once you have determined your maximum heart rate, you have a very convenient method of monitoring your workouts.

• Options
    That's all theory to me.

For example, running 1/2 marathon @ 6 min/mile, which converts to xxx bps. This approach sounds to me a bit static.

If I would simply run according to my HR, I would possibly loose half a minute for the last mile or would simply run far slower.

Bringing HR and race strategy together seems to me a conundrum.

Also with the distance, glycogen depletion and dehydration sets in, which could have a negative effect on the HR. Eventually, you would already slow down if there is just 2 miles to go.
  • Options
    I ran the GNR by HR due to the fact I'd done TRIs overthe past few weeks I was quite tired - so decided to do the GNR at a quick jog - so choose to run at 160bpm doing this gave me a plan - cos i normally get carried away and run a lot harder - i stuck to my plan and prevented overstretching myself

I only race by HR in special occations (like the above example OR if i want to analyse my race afterwards) but have ran all my 10k pbs when runing by HR

As a nutritionist i would hope to get that aspect of my race right :o)

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [ahem - you two are missing a triathlon programme on TV...]
  • Options
    URR, I wouldn't RACE by HR, but by how I feel. However I am using it like WW to monitor for signs of overtraining / illness and to keep my runs in the goal zone for base training.

A lot of sport is theory. That doesn't make it irrelevant.
  • Options
    a realy good site to read all things running etc is www.pponline.co.uk they publish loads of resarch papers etc fromaround the world
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I use a hr monitor very little and have only ever worn it once in a race-best race I've done! Just coincidence I'm sure!
  • Options
    Funny, I set my "all time worst" by running with a HRM. In all other races I have beaten my PB every time without HRM training or wearing it. I found wearing the responder around your chest very restrictive. Basically, I tried to store my breathing/stride pattern and used it as a base for the next race. Sounds a bit wired, but that is what I did. Anyway, I does not matter, because training and racing is a highly individual thing.
  • Options
    Yep agree - do what works for you - but it is an interesting topic
  • Options
    BTW - i intend doing all my base and IM training by HR
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [little 'beginner, slow plodder but getting on with it' whisper from the corner: I use mine all the time, and it was responsible for getting me from 6 months of frustration to utter triumph in the seventh!]
  • Options
    In general, the visualisation aspect of training and racing is in my opinion not widely adopted. I make use of this all the time during training and just before a race. Sounds a bit esotheric, but you do the same in downhill skiing, mountain biking and in a lot of other sports.
  • Options
    URR - i think visualisation is a great tool - every time i take up a new challenge i go over it in my head - picturing myself flowing - passing others and crossing the finnish line with a smile on my face

A lot of long races are won in your mind (if that makes sence)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    of course it makes sense - that's where most great sporting victories take place...
  • Options
    er ..I use mine all the time 'cos I am old and have been allergic to exercise all my life. I do not want to blow a gasket so keep my heart rate down. I could go quite a bit faster, but i need to make sure that I don't overexert myself. I have noticed that I have to work harder and harder to keep my heart rate up. This motivates me 'cos I am seeing an improvement
  • Options
    My sentiments exactly, Urban Road Runner. But people kept going on about how wonderful these doohickeys are so I went and bought a basic one. Still imbibing the theory, but I'll let you know later if it makes any difference!
  • Options
    ... decided I will put on my HRM today for an easy 80mins run, to find out if the information is of any value. (I guess it will be 145 avg, a bit over 1000 calories, 55-60% in zone)
  • Options
    I've only used a HRM occasionally, but as a beginner it made a big difference in showing me how slowly I should have been going on long runs and on recovery runs. Without it I don't think I'd ever have found the right speed to complete a half marathon distance.

But then in support of URR, I am now accustomed to the effort (rather than the pace) associated with recovery/long runs and so choose not to use the HRM most of the time.

I suspect that were I to train myself harder I would need to resort to the HRM again to ensure I wasn't overdoing it, that being the best way to get close to my body's limits without exceeding them. This seems to be what Will uses it for?
  • Options
    I am convinced my HRM has kept me motivated since I took up running again nearly two years ago. I always run with it because I like to know how many calories I've burned off - yes, I know that sounds girly but I have a target number of cals a week and this has been responsible for me losing two stone without having to diet.

I love stats too! I've just got myself a timex sdm - am loving it.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Would you tell us if you were wrong, URR?

;o)
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I think in longer/hotter races you need to allow for upwards HR drift if pacing yourself by HR. i.e. let it go a few beats higher toward the end of the race. Having said that I'd agree that you also need to exercise some self-awareness at the same time and peg it up or down a little according to how good you are feeling.
  • Options
    As always, it's 'each to their own'. But I like data and my HRM has definitely kept me motivated in my various exercise regimes as I can easily see that over period of time I have got fitter. Eithe my average HR for a particular distance or effort has come down or I've got faster for the same HR.

Yes it's a gadget and I can pretty much tell what sort of pace I'm running without it, but when doing slow runs it helps to keep me 'in check'.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Perhaps using it as a rev limiter rather than cruise control?
  • Options
    I can certainly see the advantage of figuring out what level of effort different paces are by using an HRM. If I ever do get around to buying one, this will be why, and I think it would be very helpful.
  • Options
    I am so disappointed about gadgets. First, I used a HRM, but after a while it shows more or less the same numbers. Then, I bought a body fat scale. This one is really great and shows the % of body fat. Mine says 9% and I am far away to be called skinny! Body fat scales can be easily tricked :) Next, I got an iPod, very disappointing with that one, after a month while using on the treadmill the harddrive crashed. Can't recommend it! At some point I used a Fitsense watch. Useless too, tells you what kind of distance you have covered but that watch needs so much batteries and to get the data out from the watch is a real hassle. After all that, I decided to stick to the basics, no more running gadgets and I enjoy running even more. Wearing a distance watch or HRM only distracts.

I know a few runners and they are very into HR, stats, carbodrinks etc. They possibly have perfect HR but haven't improved at all as a runner (bad posture, stride, chaotic breath, shaky arm movement etc.). Too me those kind of runners appear a bit lost in all the data and forgot what running is all about.
  • Options
    Perhaps all the gadgets, data and stuff is what running is all about for some people. We are all different, run for different reasons, train in different ways. Just because I train different to you, or like to use gadgets (I use a HRM and a Timex SDM, not all the time, but for specific reasons and training sessions), or collect stats, doesn't mean I am doing it wrong and you correct. My motivations, goals, etc are different to yours, so what! It all comes down to personal choice, individual goals, etc.