What: am, 5M easy done, pm 10M steady
Why: last big push in training.

Last hard: Sun
Last rest: 6 days

Carefull tonight hilly.

Comments

• Options
    message in a bottle

(I dont actually train at all you know!)
  • Options
    I think you are telling "porkies" Hippo. Plodding counts as training. Nice and fresh this am wasn't it Big Tim, good for a run.

what :5 miles
    why :'cause I fancied it
    last hard : yesterday trying to "spin" on the static bike
    last rest : Sunday --and tomorrow before a long run Sat

Enjoy your day everyone.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning and cheers BT. I'll just be doing a couple of miles with a few strides no more!

Have a good day all you hard workers!
  • Options
    morning all,

what : zilch, nowt, didly squat. so thats a rest then
    why : legs feel heavy, run 4 days consequetively.
    last hard : last night's 8m
    last rest : saturday

enjoy the day. looks a nice one here in yorkshire.
  • Options
    Morning all

Message in a bottle ... Police/Sting

Anyway, managed to get out last night much to the annoyance of the Mr and was given a telling off for running in the cold and dark (he's afraid of me being raped/mugged/murdered/kidnapped) even though I took my phone along in a hip belt! Managed to run 2½ miles which I was pleased with although it did take me 30 mins. It was rather 'fresh' and chilly last night and I made the mistake of wearing my shorts instead of my running leggings - had red cold legs when I got in.

Anyway, today...

What: Run at lunchtime with colleague from work and then off to the gym this afternoon.

Run - probably about 1½ miles
    Gym session

30 mins bike
    30 mins row
    30 mins elliptical
    30 mins stepper
    30 mins weights

I think (we'll see)

Why: just because I can now :o)

Last Hard: Monday

Last Rest: Tuesday

• Options
    Morning,
    What: nothing (unless I can fit a couple of miles in at tea-time).
    Why: Open evening here at school, a long 15 hour day for me.
    Last hard: good sesh last night, steady 7 miles followed by very hard 1.5 hrs of footy drills, circuits and running.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Travelling up to Inverness today for the BLNM, and today's probably my last chance for a brief jog. Whether I will or not, I couldn't say.

So all in all, not much exercise. But don't let that stop you. :-)

Have a good week.
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 miles jog done, crosstrainer at lunchtime and another jog tonight
    Why: weight loss and aerobic base building
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Saturday

Have a good one
  • Options
    This is it, folks - tonight I'm taking the plunge after 5 years of procrastination - I'm going for a run with a local club.

There. I've said it. Now I have to do it or I'll be too shamefaced to post on Training again.

(I still can't silence the nasty little voice in my head that is telling me that I will be the oldest, fattest, slowest runner they have ever seen, they will sigh and draw lots as to who will be unlucky enough to run at the back with me).

Then again, it might be OK. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    good luck lynne
  • Options
    Hi!

what: 12k easy run. Recovering from NF 1/2.

Best of luck Swerve!

Lynne, you will be just fine. Don't worry!

Happy running!
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 10 miler mixture of fast/steady ending in warm down
    why: definately last session before windsor maybe
  • Options
    Cath, don't want to stop you running outside - go for it, but the phone will not fend off a mugger, only allow you to call an ambulance - take an Uzi instead, like Lara Croft ;-)

Skipped training last night due to urgent appeal from son to reload ops system on PC, corrupted registry files - he won't admit what he was doing. 2hrs later OK.

so what : steady 70mins if I can slot it in
    why : seems to be fewer longer base builds this week same overall, maybe add in the shorts next week
    last hard : sun
    last rest : weds

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Lynne, don't put yourself down. So what if you're any or even all of the things you mention (which I'm sure you're not!) - you are still a runner. Go along, hold your head up with pride and I bet you'll wonder afterwards what you were worried about.

What: 3-4 miles in new shoes ...
    Why: After my foot problems since buying a pair of Nike Structure Triax three weeks ago, Sweatshop kindly exchanged them last night for the Kantara. Kantaras were the last shoes I had and I never had any problems with them, so fingers crossed.
    Last hard: Tempo run Tuesday ... my quickest-paced tempo run for a while but oddly it didn't actually feel that hard.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Dilemma: do I wear my new shoes for my half marathon on Sunday (I'll only have run in them once between now and then) or do I play it safe and wear my old shoes, which are obviously really comfy except that the cushioning is shot?
  • Options
    Morning Peeps.

Minkin - old shoes, definitely. The last thing you want is blisters.

SFH - LOL! I can just see Cath with an Uzi and a bottle of Lucosade :o)

What: Nowt
    Why: Like Swerve, tapering for BLNM.

Did an easy 3 miler last night, to practice my ultra-slow starting pace. Even the hills felt ridiculously easy.

Another easy 2 or 3 tomorrow night, and that'll be it. Waaahhhhh!!!
  • Options
    Lynne - good luck. You won't be the oldest or the slowest but if you are ... people will just think you're brilliant.

Cath - nice one! But don't let the Mr put you off running outside. Phones are useless for fending off attackers or calling for help - letting the Mr know your approximate route and the time it will take is better if he needs to feel involved in your safety.

I've beenrunning for about 10 years, lived in some seriously dodgy parts of the UK, and I can honestly say that apart from numerous cat calls, I have only ever had one 'nasty' incident - a group of boys (about 10-12)~ decided to pelt stones at me ... this all happened on a v. posh housing estate! Look confident, stick to well lit streets, and never wear headphones ... and noisily gob on the ground if you see think that someone dodgy is about to approach/catcall you (or do the 'blowing nose with one finger' thing).

Anyway: -3 outside today! Blue sky, snow on the mountains ... lovely!

What: Five miles fairly brisk
    Why: Taking it easyish following knee problems
    Last hard: Bike yesterday (a long story, but I deceded to give chase to a lorry whose driver decided that I should cycle in a ditch....). V. pleased that I managed to keep up with him all the way to his depot, but it nearly killed me!
    Last rest: Monday

Happy tapering, folks!
  • Options
    Morning All

What: 11 Miles Steady (8 Minute Mile pace)
    Why: Schedule says so.

Last rest: Sunday
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    Last long: Monday 13.1 Half Marathon Time Trial.

Looking forward to a good weekend traing, Friday Rest, Saturday 5 Miles Easy, Sunday 22 Miler Longest run before Dublin.

LL
  • Options
    3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Ran to work today, decided that it wasn't far enough so dumped my rucksack and ran around Regents park in the glorious sunshine. So 6.6miles in total for me nice and easy. (apart from the odd blowing of nose and gobbing on ground which worried some dogs)

• Options
    Morning all. Another beautiful morning for running in London.

What: am 4 miles easy running - done, pm 15 miles hard cycling.
    Why: scheduled
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    Hi all

What: rest

Why: it's on the schedule and my leg is still sore. Iced and rested it yesterday and there's been a definite improvement so hoping to run tomorrow.

Last hard: Tues

Last rest: yesterday

LynneW: I'm sure you won't be the slowest runner in the club, but if by any chance you are, then you need to ask yourself whether the club would be suitable and supportive for you. I've found it hard to find a suitable club near where I live because I'm quite slow and not very fit at the moment, but ironically the one that I thought would be the worst (the 'athletic club' with hard training) has actually turned out to be the most supportive and friendly. You have to try them out and be prepared to try more than one. When you do find a good one, then it's brilliant.

Good luck!
  • Options
    morning all

what: nothing
    why: about time

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Fri

impressed Cath - improvising a session at short notice in the face of objections, after original plans got blown away at lunchtime - that's real commitment.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    4 miles easy, lovely morning up here. Will do 10 miles with the club tonight.

Lynne, you will be OK. We had a chap who joined our club this year and he won't stand his round in the pub. That is a much more serious offence than plodding! As for age, when Alf Tupper of the Beginners thread joined our club this year he reduced the club's average age by about 10 years! Most runners seem to be veterans these days. Good luck and enjoy it.
  • Options
    hello everyone.

what: 5 miles (3m threshold)
    why: RW says so

last hard: Sunday (NF half)
    last rest: yesterday

ok, now for a silly question - what IS threshold?! I know RW give an explanation, but I can't seem to make a difference between the 1m running at the beginning and end and the 3m thr in the middle... so up till now I've just run the total distance.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm Rascal and I'm a first time "Training" forumite. Not pure runner so not all sessions will be a run, but the daily plodding thread on the "Beginners" has turned into a chat session with the occasional bit of exercise (oops - mental note, don't start with rant as may get kicked off here!)

What: Basketball @ lunchtime
    Why: Weekly session (v good for short intervals!!)

Last hard: Yesterday (usual hilly 3 miler 1 min 30 secs faster - good way to go out as now too dark for this run - after boxing/CV session at lunchtime)
    Last rest: Monday (no schedule, just couldn't be bothered!)

Hopefully first of many postings.

Rascal.
  • Options
    Welcome FR, enjoy the thread!

Hi all, got back yesterday from my week with the family. Spent Tuesday on what should have been an 18-mile walk, that was actually about 23. Spent most of the last 5 miles inventing horrible tortures for the idiot who wrote the route description and measurements. Legs were unsurprisingly tired yesterday, so only managed an easy 8 miles. But as for today:

What: club night
    Why: speed work
    Last hard: Monday if you don't count the walk!
    Last easy: yesterday

Have a great day everyone.
  • Options
    Hello people, this is my first post on here.

Doing my first race in 2 1/2 weeks (8.2 mile at Kingston Running Festival) Mainly doing this to prove to myself that I can - also to ensure that I am fit enough to carry on playing football!

My schedule as per other peoples was as follows...

What: Football training (3 mile run + strength training and a game)
    Why: To get picked on Saturday afternoon

Last hard (apart from yesterday): 4 mile run at 6.00am on Tuesday)
    Last Easy - Monday

Also going out for a 5 miler later

Cheers people

Chris
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

I didn't have time to get out yet.

So I'll pick up the kids, go to the gym and do 1 hour on the treadmill.

Love this basetraining by the way. I have been trying to get back into the running routine since August and failed everytime. I would go out for a long run, or speedsession and everytime my heartrate was going through the roof after 15 min. Made me more stressed, very run done, no appetite, lost quite some weight.

I started this base training thing only a few days back and it really takes the pressure off. My appetite is back and I sleep better. Also got rid of this feeling that I have to prove myself at evey run.

Ok you must all be bored by now, see you happy running
  • Options
    5 miles tonight - yesterdays recovery was 2 secs off 5km pb (well new shoes had to eb tried out) Feet feel good - lengthening session a bit to 5 miles interval tonight and looks like running at dublin is still a possibility
  • Options
    good luck tonight Lynn. I'm sure you're right and realise that you were worried about nothing. Any club worth it's salt should make any new member welcome, irrespective of age, ability etc. If yours don't, look elsewhere, but you'll be fine.

welcome newcomers.
  • Options
    Hi

What: 4m easy
    Why: last run before BLNM

Training for the marathon has gone pretty well, all aches & pains have subsided and am feeling pretty good. So no real excuses for a poor time on Sunday (apart from undulating course and probable crap weather!).