Options

Speed vs distance

Hello
In thinking about training for my third half marathon, and in trying to reduce the slog element, I'm thinking of speeding up and not running so far, and only increasing distance when I can maintain speed.
Also mixing some hills and fartlek and pyramids, that sort of thing.
Rather than starting off doing 13 miles slowly, and hoping I get quicker.
Anyone tried this/have a view?
Ta

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Personally I think that mainly concentrating on long, slow distance stuff (I know this isn't what you want to hear!) will be far more beneficial preparation for a half than cutting down on distance and focusing on speedwork (which I'd probably advocate for 10K or shorter).

Endurance is the foundation for a race of this distance, and if you ain't built the foundations, the house may topple ...
  • Options
    You still need to do one longish run a week, you could reduce the time of the other runs, but increase the quality with hills, fartlek etc.
  • Options
    I'm agree.

Keep up the weekend long runs, do 14+ miles occasionaly so that the half has no intimidation factor for your endurance.

Mid week runs which include fartlek or hills or simply shorter&faster would certainly be good. Don't forget the value of slow mid week recovery runs either - every run shouldn't hurt!
  • Options
    Train first for distance and later for speed. (so says Lore of Running)

In my opinion too many are doing speedwork without having build an aerobic base and wonder why they not get faster. See thread on base training.

Hence, I competely agree with Minkin.

For example, you can easily run 1:30hr for a half marathon without speedwork. A half marathon is still mainly aerobic exercise.
  • Options
    I agree with URR, but at the same time you have to be flexible about these things and use the time you have available as efficiently as possible. For example, due to work I can commit to no more than 40 mins a day Mon-Fri, So I try to make the majority of these quality sessions, hills, fartlek, intervals, etc. With a long steady run (10 - 15 miles) on a weekend. Mind you I have been running for a long time so have built up a solid aerobic base over the years. On this schedule I can still put in good performances, with a PB for 10KM of 32 mins, and 1:15hrs for half marathon. Have now switched to off-road races, such as fell-running, have found I need a new challenge from road racing.
  • Options
    I disagree with many of the above. My best racing days were during a phase of very little but intense, ie fast, training. Perhaps it is just that different training strategies suit different runners.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    you say "During a phase of ~ intense training" - surely though that is the point? you build a base and then do an intense peaking phase during which you'll reap the benefits of the base and get those luvverly PBs.
  • Options
    Matt,i started running in march and tried to keep at 7.5 min miles for 2 miles then when i did it i uped to 4 miles and then 6 and so on.Im currently trying for 20 in 2hrs 30 but my best to date is 2hrs 35.I said to myself when i reach 24 in 3hrs ill go for a full marathon.I did my first half at Bristol a couple of weeks ago in 1hr 30 and i know i will knock 10mins of of that next year.My friend has been running for years and he allways around the 2hr mark so he decided to do this on 8 min miles eg 16mins for 2 and then 24 for 3 and this year he done 1hr 46 at bristol so it helped him.If your faster try 6mins or maybe 5.I hope you catch my drift.
  • Options
    Lockleazelegend

This sounds like what I'm aiming for - though I have also been experimenting with base aerobic training, so get it pretty much confused!
    I can do 7 min miles for about an hour without too much trouble, but my stamina starts to go a little after that.

PS I cycle through lockleaze on the way to work - assume you go running round the BT mast?
  • Options
    Wow thats unreal,i sometimes run around there,up and down the hills at purdown.I also run around the m.o.d to.

Matt if you can run 7min miles for an hour thats good going(about 8.5 miles) i cant do much better than that so i guess your half must be has good as mine.