• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,

what: a gentle walk at lunch time.
    Why:marathon yesterday
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:today
  • Options
    hilly - great performance in Cardiff yesterday - I think marathons might be a bit like childbirth - straight afterwards you say "never again!" but after a while you remember only the good things, and start thinking "Well, maybe...?" It's nature's way of getting us to do stupid things.

3 mile easy recovery run for me today.

• Options
    Morning Guys

Didn't go to gym in the end yesterday - ended up going clothes shopping instead! Spent loads of money on new gear which is 2 sizes smaller than I was in March - all thanks to starting training again!

Today....

What: Gym session
    Why: Daily Routine
    Last Hard: Last Tuesday
    Last Rest: Sunday
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 miles very easy jog done, light gym session at lunchtime & another easy jog tonight.
    Why: recovery day
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: 9 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning Everybody

what: 5 mile recovery run
    why: raced yesterday with bad back

well done everybody who raced over the weekend

have a good day

• Options
    Morning all,

What: 7M steady
    Why: Would usually be a rest day but working away this w-e coming has thrown training pattern to cock. Also inspired by Hilly & Wardi's efforts at w-e.

Lynne - I liek your theory about the 'never again' being natures way of making us do stupid things. Made me smile.

Run well folks.
  • Options
    Morning.

What: nothing

Why: leg muscle still giving problems and now have a nasty sore throat in addition.

Last hard: Tues last week <sob>

Last rest: yesterday

Feeling really, really fed up at the moment. Supposed to be in Week 3 of a 6 week training schedule for a 10K and last week I found a nice running club to go to, but my leg is really painful and needs a physio. I'm having trouble walking on it so there's no way I can run at the moment!

I'm trying to stay a (bit) positive and will carry on posting here every day. Have plans to seek out the gym at work and use the bikes when the sore throat has gone. Hopefully that should help the leg a bit.

Sorry for the moan, but after changing jobs, moving house, a very hot summer and finishing my PhD thesis all of which have disrupted my running this year, I was really looking forward to some good training this autumn. Life sucks sometimes!
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 7M steady
    Why: Would usually be a rest day but working away this w-e coming has thrown training pattern to cock. Also inspired by Hilly & Wardi's efforts at w-e.

Lynne - I like your theory about the 'never again' being natures way of making us do stupid things. Made me smile.

Run well folks.
  • Options
    Hi all!

What: rest day!

Why: had just about enough mountain to last me for a bit, and legs are saying No.

However, came back with all knees and ankles intact, minus one big toenail, but what's a toenail between (running) friends.

Nearly lost a husband - looked round at one point to see him cartwheeling down the slope beside me, to come to a halt two and a bit cartwheels downhill. Fortunately, his head encountered only the nice black squeezey squishy stuff. (looked v. impressive.)

Do not attempt to stop a husband cartwheeling down Ben Nevis's friends. It simply doesn't work.

Have discovered that when it comes to mountains, both up and down, I am a confirmed voluntary quadruped. But I'm not done with the hills yet.

Shall recover by reading reports of the weekend's efforts. Thought of you all and your marathons.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

That's great, Cath - nothing like a bit of retail therapy eh? And an excellent reason to shop for a new wardrobe!

Bad luck Coco - these things are sent to try us. Chin up and hope the leg feels better after some physio.

What: Nothing, definitely some rest for me!
    Why: Windsor half yesterday and my legs are a bit stiff; also the foot that's been playing up is a bit painful today, unsurprising really as it hasn't had a chance to recover with training and I forced 13.1 miles out of it yesterday!
    Last hard: Yesterday - but great!
    Last rest: Saturday.

Windsor was my first half marathon and from all the reports and the rather off-putting course profile diagram I was expecting it to be tough. Yes, it could be described as undulating but was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting - some of my training routes have bigger hills so I guess I was fairly well-prepared. I think as a runner you have days where everything comes together and you perform really well, and other days where it just ain't happening. Fortunately for me, yesterday was one of my better days.

Started off in the line-up around the 2-hour marker, and was probably over the line in about 3 minutes. Unlike the Nike 10K, I didn't really have a problem with being hemmed in by other runners, although I took the first two miles fairly easily myself anyway - not least because they were ascending (albeit gently) and I didn't want to go off too quickly. I went through the first two miles in around 9 minutes each (9:04 and 8:50), and as I was feeling on form I decided to up the pace a notch. Passed through mile 3 in 25:56 (8.01 pace) but the next two markers were definitely off as it took me 9:37 to reach the 4-mile marker and only 7:37 to reach mile 5! Was still going great guns at this point and although my head kept warning me to back off a bit and keep something back for the later stages of the race, my body dictated otherwise and I kept up a pretty steady 8-ish minute miling pace for the rest of the race. The only point at which I felt I was starting to tire came at around 11-12 miles, when I was caught unawares by a final hill I hadn't been expecting. Had there been any more after that I may have ended up slowing to a walk; as it was I made it up without too much problem - legs were feeling it a bit though. I'd been warned by some of the other forumites I met at the race that the descent to the finish is a lot further than it looks, so made sure I didn't start my assault on the line too soon. As we descended from mile 12 into the final straight, loads of runners steamed past me ... only for me to overtake them nearer the finish when they started to realise it was actually a lot further away than it looked! I eventually decided it was time to sprint and crossed the line in 1:51:03 according to my watch.

The race was fantasically organised, there was plenty of support all the way round from both spectators and the ATC guys and girls who acted as race marshalls, and the weather was pretty good despite the downpour halfway through. Met a few other forumites (Shambler, Benz, Fozzie, Long Legs, Rach, Snoops, Tiger, Pit Pony et al) and a hearty thanks to Snoops and Tiger for organising the marquee - was great to have somewhere warm and dry to get changed afterwards. Also a big thanks to Shambler's mate Liz - top massage! All in all, thoroughly enjoyed Windsor and would definitely do this one again. Will be interesting to see how the planned base training phase will affect next year's performance ...
  • Options
    Morning all,

TT and Hilly - great runs in Cardiff yesterday. Hilly, hope your back recovers quickly.

What: weights
    Why: rest day
    Last hard: long run yesterday
    Last easy: Friday

Right, better get on with something constructive. Moving into a new office today, so got to get it kitted out with the essentials: biscuits, trainers, gym kit, etc. Might try to fit some work stuff in as well if there's any room left...

Have a good day all.
  • Options
    well done you mara racers - Hilly 3:30:+, twoton 3:10+ - a time and distance I dream of - I lie I have as yet no aspiration to go beyond a half. Seriously impressive 5k BR and others who ran a seemingly popular event of v high quality. Hope those who are afflicted - Speedie/Coco get better soon. Hi Snicks good to see you posting gain

I inteerupted my base tarining on saturday for a quick 4+ miler, came in just under 30mins gained sveral places by vaulting the gate obstacles - defo a recommended tarining practice for those who find they enter races with stiles etc - vaulting is so much quicker and is a "shock and awe" tactic for the opposition - well until you slip and hit your nose in the cowpat. Sunday was back to base training with a gentle 5 miler. I've managed 110 miles over the last month and I reckon my dodgy achilles is getting slowly back to normal and doing more slow steady runs vs speedwork is really helping.

today what : 8 miles steady basebuild
    why : see BB thread
    last hard : sat 4m
    last rest : fri
  • Options
    Morning all - well done all weekend racers (Hilly et al) and to Cath on starting a new wardrobe! Speedy recoveries to those with aches and pains (speedie et al) - hang on in there Coco, be positive and you WILL turn things around.

What: an easy day today, leg massage arranged for later followed by an easy 40 minutes at recovery pace.
    Why: recovery from yesterday's Loch Ness Marathon
    Last hard: yesterday (26.2 miles in 2:58:22)
    Last rest: 3 days ago.

Another week of rest, recovery and replenishment.
  • Options
    Excellent first 1/2 marathon Minkin and a great report. Take it easy on that foot and enjoy the looks of amazement from non-runners when they ask what you did at the weekend!
  • Options
    Great Debut Minkin, no if you train on Hills Windsor isn't too bad ...but f you don't..I guess the weather was also ideal for a first time half.

give yourslef a good recovery this week and let the foot etc heal - oh and pay attention to the running widower of your life!
  • Options
    Hi!

what: 12k at slow pace.

Great result Minkin, well done!

Have a great day!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Aardvark and sfh legs - planning to give both the foot and my poor one-man support crew, chauffeur and pack horse some well-deserved TLC this week! I've promised him no more races for a little while - he's given up a lot of Sundays for me this year and although he doesn't mind and knows I appreciate it, he deserves a break! Will keep working on getting him running too though ;-)
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Don't get on the 'net much at weekends so just spent 15mins catching up, great performances and reports. Minkin, I see your HM time is around mine and having also just started base building will be watching your developments closely!

Sat - Midlands 6 stage relay 3.6 hilly miles
    Sun - 12.5m 132-142bpm
    Mon - 7m 132-142bpm done!

If all goes to plan should do first ever >50m in a week. Never even managed that in FLM03 training (might explain a lot!) 2nd full week base building, and am noticing that a lot of kit needs washing!
  • Options
    Good weekend's racing, folks. Congrats to all! BIG well done especially to Graham Dead Legs for going under the magic 3hr for the 2nd time at Loch Ness despite doing New Forest LAST WEEKEND! The old man just keeps getting better... London to Brighton now, Graham?

Done 2mile jog with kids this morning (who are still buzzing after the race on Sat) and will do 45min-1hr later this afternoon at a nice steady aerobic, fat burning, base building pace!

Took another 3mins off a regular course again last night... All atill at 145bpm... Watch your back, Tergat!
  • Options
    Thanks PM - there are many excellent results from yesterday (hoping to hear news of Swerve). Am a little sore today (hip flexors), provided no lasting ill-effects L2B is a goer.

Meant to post on the "pose" thread (but will mention here) that during first half of race decided to experiment with "pose" technique on the downhill sections. Slight forward lean, shorter stride - mid-foot to mid-foot (heels only brushing/scuffing the ground), legs turning over VERY rapidly but with minmal impact on quads - took off and flew, gravity doing virtually all the work. Throttled back and took a rest on most of the uphills concentrating hard on cadence. Normally suffer from lactate build up over last few miles but legs were still strong enough to be sub 7 m/m over the last 10K.

A fast first half of the race with improved economy/reduced effort was energy in the bank for dealing with the hillier second half. Managed to take 9 minutes off last year's time on this course.
  • Options
    afternoon all,

what : 6-7m with club
    why : marathon training and club night
    last hard : saturday
    last rest : sunday

body recovered well from saturday's 17m off road daftness. pleased with that as i thougt i'd be stiff for days.
  • Options
    Well done Two Ton, excellent time!

WP, superb 1/2m race!

Dead Legs and Wardi, great runs!
  • Options
    Dead legs - post on Pose too - would be helpful for others not looking here.

TwoTon - missed that result earlier - good stuff - looking good for FLM. Next marathon = qualifying time??
  • Options
    3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Swiftish 4M run for me today, followed by some core stability exercises and a swim. Not stiff at all from my long run on Saturday - which was nice.
  • Options
    Have just seen Swerve's posting on the Loch Ness thread, he beat his target time in his first ever marathon so well done him.
  • Options
    Pantman - I am running Abingdon (along with half the forum!) in 3 weeks time. If all goes well, I'll be up to a stone lighter and 3 weeks fitter!
    I think a sub 3:00 is likely, but 2:45 is probably asking a bit much (I'll still be 20 pounds overweight).

However, yesterday's run was 20 minutes faster than where I thought I would be at this stage in my training, so am (currently) very confident I will get the qualification either at Leicester (16Nov) or Luton (7Dec)
  • Options
    Sub 3:00 will get you a GFA place, TT. I keep getting faster than expected too - fun isn't it..? Shooting for 2:30 next summer now.
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone. Well done to TT and Hilly on great marathon results and well done to the other weekend racers.

What: am 6 miles easy running, gym session, 20 minutes swimming drills - done, pm 1 hour spinning class.
    Why: Scheduled
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    Pantman - yes it is fun running better than expected....more than makes up for the occasional disappointments.

To do myself justice in the FLM, I will need to be in at least sub 2:45 shape this year, so not considering the GFA route.

Glad you are still progressing well....keep following your own advice and I'm sure you'll get some really fast times next year.

• Options
    Well done Minkin

What 5 easy am, pm 10 steadyish
    Why: proper base building now - can whack up the mileage!
    Last hard - 5k yesterday
    Last rest - 13 days.