Options

GNR: Runners World Pace Groups

Has anybody run with the pace groups on the GNR before? Do they do that negative split thing for half marathons? Can't make my mind up whether to go for my steady pace or run with the group. I did 1:36 last year and I'm hoping to either match it or beat it this year.

Comments

• Options
    I think that this is the first year that they have had pacers at the GNR. Not 100% sure though.
    Drop them a quick email and ask.
  • Options
    Yep

It's our first year pacing the GNR. The idea is for us to run at a steady pace. However, the size of the field at the Great North means that the first mile or two are, unless we're very lucky, likely to be slower than the desired pace. This means that we'll have to gradually get up to race pace, which in turn means that we will probably end up with a negative split. Hope that made sense!
  • Options
    Cheers Rob, makes perfect sense! I'll jump in with the 3:30 group then. It'll probably hurt when you turn up the pace but we'll see what happens! Had a bad experience of negative splits at London this year; as the pace turned up I got two stitches that just about murdered me for three miles. Needless to say I didn't get back onto the pace group.
  • Options
    Errr, better make that the 1:30 group! Hope that's not an omen.....
  • Options
    MikeyMikey ✭✭✭

Hi

forgive me for what's probably a dumb question, but can someone explain what 'negative splits' are ?

Cheers,

MikeB
  • Options
    Hi Mike,
    My understanding is that you cruise the first half of the race, getting steadily into your rythmn and then up the pace for the second half. Helps avoid going out too fast and dying after the halfway mark I guess. I've only tried it once (at London this year) and unfortunately it wasn't a good day for me anyway.
  • Options
    Hi Mikey, I think its when you run the second half of the race faster than the first half. So aiming for 90min Half you may do the first half in 46mins and the second bit in 44 mins. There is usually a marker telling you when you get half way.
  • Options
    MikeyMikey ✭✭✭
    Garry & Jane,

Many thanks for the info,

Rob,

You said: "the first mile or two are, unless we're very lucky, likely to be slower than the desired pace".

Likely to be slower than what pace? 1:30, 1:45 or "Get You Round"?

This is my first year of running and also my first 1/2 so I don't know what to expect and I'm not quick but my last training run (Saturday) was 2:13 and I'd dearly like to do better than 2:10 on the day.

In view of this, I'd love to have a go with a 2:00 pacing group and drop back if I can't cut it. However, there isn't a 2:00 group.

Any suggestions as to I should pace myself to get around in under 2:10.

Regards,

MikeB
  • Options
    I'm not running the GNR this year but want to run it next year (if I can get in).

Here's my "silly" question with the pacing groups when you say 1:30 pace do you mean 1:30 from crossing the line, or 1:30 from the start of the race? Bearing in mind the delay in getting to the start on most big races this would mean going round in about 1:15, I hope 1:30 pace means "real" running time.
  • Options
    RW, are you going to be obvious, cos Im scared I wont find you!!
  • Options
    Hi Mikey, I'm not good a pacing myself but hope to get around in 2hrs 30mins, thats approx 11 min miles.

If you go to the website onrunning.com they have a race pace facility where you type in desired time and it works out times for each mile for you. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Jane well probably be running together, i hope to do 2 hrs 30
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    Hi Benz, looks like I will bump into you, what will you be wearing? Good luck to you my number is 10thousand and something. I will probably be wearing my Cancer Research t-shirt.
  • Options
    Me too, with my name on
    Must get some more sponsors
    Im 14000 and something
    Where are you staying the night before, Im in Durham
  • Options
    I'm staying in Gateshead the night before, and I will have my name on my T.Shirt which has been designed for someone taller than me and is somewhat roomy.
  • Options
    I'm staying in Durham too, Benz. With my little sister, who is VERY sensible (apart from collecting cats and being a runner), so she is bound to make sure I get a proper dose of carbs and an early night. Shame, because the family, apart from Kevin the Teenager, will be several tens of miles away in a Travel Inn so I'll be straining at the leash to go out.

Mikey, I have this silly idea that I might be able to aim for 2 hours as well - I've done a 54:21 10K, around 13 miles in 2hrs20 in training, have reached ideal running weight and feel just ready for this race. Do you have a fancy stopwatch that lets you plug in mile splits and things? If so, we could start our own breakaway 2-hour pacing group. Or just run together. There are bound to be plenty of people who are nowhere near 1:45 but slightly more ambitious than 2:30

• Options
    Benz - we'll be holding big boards with the predicted times on them before the start, wearing Reebok kit bearing the legend 'Team In Training Pacer' and carrying a stick with a yellow flag on it for the whole race, so hopefully we'll be obvious!!!

Niggle - the sub 1-30 time is from the gun, so it will be a little quicker than 1:30 overall. We're confident that this group won't take 15-minutes to cross the line. Especially as I'm in no shape to run 1:15!!!
  • Options
    Am I the only one who is just hoping to get round in one piece and collect the T-shirt on Sunday? This will be my 10th Gt. North and I'm only doing it for the T-shirt (she lies). There are 5 women of varying ages from my club taking part, the first time I've had female comapny from the club. Sad that I'll probably only see them for the first couple of miles
  • Options
    Hi Rob. Am hoping to join you for 1:30, but am a little worried 'cos I had three weeks chopped out of my training due to severe achilles tendonitis. A bit pi**ed about it, cos I'd spent 10 weeks following the Runners World programme for 1:30 and was feeling really strong before I came a cropper with 6 weeks to go - have been back for the last two and a half weeks, but don't know how much damage the lay-off has done to my 1:30 goal. Did do some cycling during this time , but it's never as good as time on the road - what do people think - can I do it? (I'm feeling low on confidence and need a positive boost!!)
  • Options
    Are the GNR T-shirts good, Jan? The FLM one I got this year is being worn as a nightshirt by my 11-year-old daughter because they only ordered them in Hagrid's size and I'm more like Dobby the house-elf.
  • Options
    Jan, I too am hoping to get round in one piece and get the t-shirt!! This will be my first GNR, as I am a newcomer at running! I have done one 10k and got 73mins, so I am hoping to get round the GNR in under 2:30. By the way v-rap, I have heard the t-shirts are quite nice!
  • Options
    MikeyMikey ✭✭✭

V-rap,

no, my watch isn't fancy. I can just set it to beep at certain times.

A friend who's also done the gnr a number of times has said that not only can it take a while to cross the start line, but that if you start too close to the back, you can also end up walking for the first mile!

My worry is that If this happens, I could end up having to run the rest of the race at much higher pace to get under 2:10

Mikey
  • Options
    I'm a bit concerned about that too, Mikey - at London it took me over 20 minutes to cross the start line. Walking for the first mile will do as a warm-up, but if the first mile takes 15 minutes then the other 12 miles will have to be at 8:45, which is a bit too fast for me to sustain, especially up a hill. That's why I'm planning to do another, smaller half (Cheddar) a few weeks later - to see what time I can manage under more normal running conditions.

Never thought I would care! This running bug has bitten me badly.
  • Options
    Vrap, it sounds as though youll be running VERY seriously and will do a good time, but if you fancy a swift half, Im staying at the Marriott
    See you all there if the on call doenst kill me first(no sleep again last night)