Options

Medite Felixstowe Half Marathon

I would really like an honest view on the course at Felixstowe. I think it includes Bent Hill and that it is a 2 lap course, but how worse does it get?

Comments

• Options
    natty Noodles' doing this one so I'll boing this back up for you
  • Options
    Hi Long Legs, I doubt if I will be doing this one, but I did live in Felixstowe for 20 years so know the area very well. Bent Hill is very very steep but only about 100 metres long. Do you know where the course goes from there?

jenks
  • Options
    Hi Jenks, and all. After going up the hill, it turns right at I think its a crossraods, and then goes out with a golf course or putting area on the right, and just past that does a slight dip in the road for about 50-100 metres before turning sharp left and out into the country, i think it then winds right a bit after this which i believe is uphill slightly, does any of this make sense Jenks??

I know later on the loop it goes across a little bridge which may cross over the railway track, I would guess this is probably about 2.5-3.0 miles after the previous part that I mentioned, can you fill in the gaps Jenks??

Ta, Paul
  • Options
    Right, I can fill in a bit more, it sounds like the route follows the coast for some of the way, that being so, if the route heads out towards the Felixstowe Ferry and Golf Course. Obviously Bent hill represents more or less the highest point on the cliffs and the Golf Course is at sea level. In getting to the Golf Course the route returns to sea level at least once and possibly twice depending on the exact route.
    At the Golf Course (Not sure where the start is but this point must be approx 2 miles from Bent Hill)NN says you turn left which should be called Ferry Lane, this is a twisty lane that rises faily gently for a few hundred metres before going down hill again for perhaps half a mile. It then rises again for another half mile but at this point I am not clear from NN's notes of where exactly how the course gets back to the sea front. If the Rail Bridge is the one in Garison Lane,the it is down hill for about 3/4 mile but I wouldn't describe that as a little bridge. The only small bridges I can think of are in Maidstone Rd and Mill Lane. Any more info Natty?

jenks
  • Options
    Hi Jenks, the bridge is a brick one, like a hump bridge any more than that I am not sure, the course follows Gulpher Road as well after it has gone past the golf green and down and turned left, at the end of the loop the route comes down I think it the lower part of Garrison Lane (there is a car park on the right) and turns left into undercliff road west and past the leisure centre?? onto the promenade again.

We are gradually filling in the gaps, cheers Jenks
  • Options
    Ok now we're cooking, I left off in Ferry Lane which leads into Gulpher lane. This is fairly flat, in fact I think it is slightly down hill until it passes under the flyover. From what NN says, I think that when the route reaches the high road (Walton High rd)it must go right then left down Maidstone Rd, over the Rail Bridge then left down eithe Wadgate Rd or Mill Lane. (Either way, it must end up in Mill Lane in order to get to the lower end of Garrison Lane). Most of this section from Gulpher Lane to Garrison Lane about 3 miles, is fairly flat, but Garrison lane is down hill, getting fairly steep in the 300 metres. Then it's left onto a flat section (Undercliff Rd) leading the liesure centre on the sea front and pressumably the start/finish line. Is it one or two laps?

jenks
  • Options
    Hi Jenks, its a 2 lapper, starts and finishes on the promenade itself, around the Cork Bar area, so each lap should work out as around 6.55 miles hopefully!

Thanks for your help on this, I am still deciding on whether to run it or not as still have some aches following Windsor, and Long Legs is not too sure either yet.
  • Options
    In general I'd say that the course shouldn't be too bad then, a lot of it is flat, the worse hill is Bent Hill which although very steep, is only a 100 mtrs or so long, so it wouldn't hurt to walk it. I would have loved to do it but running past my ex wifes house is probably not a good idea yet. The Kirton 5 was close enough.
    Good luck to you and Lyn if you do decide to risk it.

All the best

jenks
  • Options
    Jenks, thanks mate, Lyn is picking me up tomorrow and is going to drive over there and have a look. Hope you running is going ok?
  • Options
    As I said, good luck if you do it, at least half of each lap will be scenic but a couple of miles at least will be through built up areas.

My running is going ok, the Ingatestone race ended up being changed to 6 miles on the day so difficult to gauge how I did, but think if it had been 10k I would have managed a minute or so off my PB. we'll never know.

Did an 8 miloe training run on Sunday on a route I havn't run since the FLM training, and found I did it 14 minutes quicker. Shins still sore as a result though.

This Saturday Adele and I will be doing the first of the Metropolitan League X/Country races at Woodford and on Sunday if feeling up to it (doubtful)might do the Harlow 10k. (Martlesham seems a long way just for the day).

We will meet up at an event sometime I'm sure.

Well done to you, Lyn and Paul for Windsor by the way
  • Options
    Hi Jenks, I think from a previous post you mentioned that you had to go to the 3 mile point and back again, so doesnt that make it a 6 miler? So maybe you can compare that to your best 10km (6.21miles), maybe calculate the odd 0.21 based on your previous 6 miles to get an idea of what time you would have had.

I know what you mean, all that way for just a 10km race, its quite far to travel, although it is THE 10km of the season, its the one we have been building up to anyway, completely flat, that doesnt happen very often!

Yes, I must find out about these x country races as well, I found out that we actually do the Essex league even though Ipswich is in Suffolk (confusing), so if these are open events then maybe see you at one of these?

Thanks, Windsor was tough, and both Lyn and I havent decided yet about Felixstowe for sure, thats why we are checking the route first, thanks for your help on that.

See you soon
  • Options
    PS. Good luck for Saturday, and Sunday to if you are mad enough :)
  • Options
    Got that wrong Natty, it's the 12th and 13th..Doh..

jenks
  • Options
    Must be getting excited to do the races then :)
  • Options
    TractorTractor ✭✭✭
    I take my hat off to anyone who runs all the way up Bent Hill in the Felixstowe half. My car has enough trouble driving up it!

Good luck to those who run this one.
  • Options
    It's really not that bad. I got a PB on this route last year. Where there's an up there's a down ...

Great commentators too as you start your second lap - two men in DJs and they are very cheeky"!
  • Options
    Running up Bent Hill is probably preferable to running down it..I'd probably endup in the sea...

jenks
  • Options
    Hi Lycra Kitten, hope you are well, so you reckon it could be a PB course then?
  • Options
    Hello. There is absolutely no reason why not but you can't keep having PBs can you?

All is very well thanks and my face will be appearing soon at some local races either spectating or running at the back!
  • Options
    Jenks, I know what you mean about running down Bent Hill. I did the 5 x 1 mile lap May Bank Holiday and I'm glad there's a barrier!
  • Options
    What do you mean PBs, I didnt get one last race at Windsor, ok so I was only 1 second out, but it wasnt a PB :)

If after viewing the course this afternoon I decide to do it then will certainly be going for a PB, again, hehehe

Are you going to be at Martlesham? If the weather is good then you should recognise me as I will be in my URWFRC T-Shirt, its bright yellow, you cany miss it!
  • Options
    Although when the race starts I will be in my Ipswich colours again
  • Options
    Having to miss Martlesham as we are away that weekend visiting family but will definitely be at the Scenic 7!
  • Options
    I should hope you will be at the Scenic 7!! Would be like me not being at the Ipswich race :)

Look forward to finally meeting you then, will you be marshalling or running, or undecided yet?
  • Options
    I will be marshalling and I am hoping I won't be stuck with making the teas but then again if its raining ...
  • Options
    We got a few signed up on here for the Scenic 7 did you see the Thread?
  • Options
    Yes I heard a few entries had been posted and I figured I knew who they were all from! It should be a good one.
  • Options
    Hopefully with any luck this year I will not be ill when I wake up on the morning of the race! I will mail you what my number is when it comes through from Heidi or whoever, then you may be able to shout abuse at me as I run past, oops I meant encouragement :)
  • Options
    Yep I will definitely look out for you. I love cheering people on - you have been warned! Rich, I think, will be entering the results on the computer.
  • Options
    Excellent run today well chuffed, managed to knock off just over 4 and a half minutes from my PB, in around 1:26:15, well chuffed :)

Thanks to Lyn and Fozzie for the lift over again, cheers