Options

Christmas Cracker 10K

Hello all
Would love to enter for this 10k, however am rather reluctant. I am a slow runner, not an athlete and have fears of being left behind at the start!!! This has happened to me once before and quite frankly put me off from running 10ks. I live in Scarborough and this would be handy for me. Is this a fun event or is it for athletes looking for a PB??
Would appreciate comments from past competitors.

Comments

• Options
    I was thinking on the same lines! I'm fairly new to running and I haven't done anything other than a 5km "Race for life" which was so non-competative - just a pleasure to be there. I can run for 45 mins without any bother, I just use a heart rate monitor to keep my pace below 150 beats per min whilst I'm out and don't take the slightest notice of how far or fast I've been...

What do you think? Is this realistic, thinking of entering? Am I going to look a twit or could this be a giggle? I just want to enjoy being able to participate in something like this.

I live just outside York so it is gloriously and notoriously flat, (~: Do you think this would be a problem? Is the course really hilly? Any advice?

(~:
  • Options
    It is a two lap route, going up a very small but step hill at the start (worse bit). I've done it twice and each time its taken me 61 mins so many seconds, so I'm going to do it again this year to try (ha, ha) to get under 1 hour. So you will be safe as I'll be right behind you. Its a nice run and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Knavesmire Harrier from York.
  • Options
    Know what you mean about feeling a twit etc. My first ever run was this year (5K race for life in Herne Bay) - it was great and my time was good - then I entered Maidstone 10K - disaster - very hot and hilly and at one point I thought I was lost (no one in front or behind) and would have got the nearest bus home - except I had no money and hadn't the faintest idea of where I was!! Anyway I did complete it - walking most of it - and didn't come in last (about fourth from) - took me 1hr 12mins which I felt disappointed about. Have just done GSR (10Miles) in 1hr 53mins - felt pleased with that - more runners so less chance of coming in last (I would have been mortified as there were 12,500 - although I know someone has to). So I'd say (in a roundabout way...!) go for it - even if you end up feeling a twit - it's all experience - and you'll get a medal to boost your confidence!
  • Options
    Thank you!

You have made me feel so much better about even daring to think about entering. (~:

I'm going to go for it... what's the worst that can happen! If it's a total disaster then at least I'll have an amusing anecdote to regale the extended family with over the turkey.
  • Options
    the worst that can happen in the Scarborough Christmas Cracker is that you tip your cup of water all over your face so it goes up your nose. I still havent mastered the art of not doing this.
    I did this 10K as my first ever local race last year (the only other race before that was the great north run). I am now converted to these smaller local runs.
    The people are friendlier and it all seems to be a bit more jolly.
    It was rather cold last year though - long running tights, 2 t-shirts and a windproof jacket and I wasnt too hot by the end.
    Kit Girl - that hill at the start does not seem very short at the time, especially second time around. I seem to remember a slight uphill elsewhere too, and remember someone saying "I dont remember it being this hilly last year..."
    I've never worn the t-shirt as its not the best quality one I've had, so dont expect to have a prize to show off for your achievement...
    Perhaps I'll see you there, and go for an improved time...
  • Options
    Cat the dog lover, I agree the t-shirts are great designs but I have to use it as a nightshirt they are hugh. Its a real shame they don't do like we do and put a S, M or L on the entry form and again your number, then when runners come in they know what size you asked for and its tough if it does not fit you then.
  • Options
    This sounds as though it might be a lark!

I have sent my entry off for the Selby Bypass 10K on the 21st but I've got nothing in particular planned for the 14th so I think I will give this one a go. I wonder if it will be like yesterday in Richmond where the rain waited for the race to start :)

And I am curious about the t-shirts.
  • Options
    Duuh, do we just fill in a universal entry form or do we send of an s.a.e. for this race?
  • Options
    We may get across for this one but don't really want to enter in advance in case plans change. Can anyone tell me if there are normally plenty of places left or does it usually fill up ? I've noticed many races seem to be fully subscribed this year.
    Only one short steep hill eh! can't be bad.
  • Options
    Pete - one steep hill, but you have to run it TWICE!
    Heavy Breather - I think you can fill in the universal form, but theres plenty of time to send off an SAE. Let me know what number you are when you get it or else I'll assume everyone is you!
  • Options
    CTDL- Is it a hill we would be proud of in Richmond ?
  • Options
    In Richmond you might class it as a 'slope' rather than a hill.
    I remember it as being almost vertical last year but thats just my memory of the second lap whilst trying to drink water out of a cup rather than snort it up my nose. (I was trying very hard for a good time)
    Its a bit more undulating, I think, than the middle bit of the Richmond Castle 10K though.
  • Options
    I sent off an SAE this morning so that's the first step.

I am looking forward to this race. I'm sure that it will burn so many calories that extra Christmas pudding will be almost compulsory.
  • Options
    Step 2 send off entry form. I got the entry form today so I have filled it in and sent it off straight away. I had to enter the Haltemprice 10K on the day last Sunday because I thought I had already entered it and discovered I hadn't!

I will have to get Father Christmas to bring me stamps and envelopes this year. I seem to be getting through an awful lot these days!

The weather was not too bad last Sunday so it was shorts as usual but I think might need to wear some warmer clothes in Scarborough.
  • Options
    ooh theres a point. They sent me an entry form some time ago and I don't actually remember filling it in...
    HB - I looked at your piccie on your club website the other day. Don't you look a friendly lot? It spurred me on to look at joining a local club but when I looked at their website it was all a bit professional-runners-ish with different coaches listed for different kinds of running, womens nights (eh?), etc. It all looked a bit 'high ability' to me. So I'll have to stick to just running on me own then, in the dark so no-one can see me...
  • Options
    I have never belonged to a club before but it was one of the best things I could have done. On those nights when I am a bit undecided whether or not I feel like going for a run it is the thought of having a laugh with the rest of the crew that gets me out there. They are a friendly lot and the club really does set out to welcome runners of all abilities so I was lucky to try them first.

I do like to have a laugh. To prove the point try this url. If it works you'll see me coming last in the Goole 1/3 marathon on one of the hottest days of the summer.

http://beehive.thisishull.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=DisplayImage&ImgID=34605

As you can see I am not at all dismayed about coming last! The marshall who is chasing me down the finishing straight took part in the Haltemprice 10K on Sunday. He actually recognised me and came over for a chat, which was nice. It is good to know I made an impression! He mentioned that he will also be taking part in the Guy Fawkes 10 next Sunday. Seeing some familiar faces is one of the things I enjoy about this racing lark.
  • Options
    Aw shucks. It wont let me see that.
    The Goole 1/3 marathon? When was that?
    T'other half's parents live in Goole so I could combine a run with an in-laws visit next year. We did the Norton 9 mile from their house in March last year. That was a nice run.
    Looking forward to Sunday but I guess we should discuss that on the other forum thread. Ahem, see you at Scarborough in December...

I do run on a Wednesday night with a guy from the gym and I agree, when you really dont feel like it you still go for the company, and I find those 'I dont feel like it' runs tend to be the best ones. It started as a class with loads of people doing it every week but now we reckon we're down to two people as the third seems to be defecting to a spinning class... Shucks. If the last guy stops wednesday running I dont know what I'll do! Well actually I do know - I'll eat chips and chocolate and watch rubbish tv.
  • Options
    I have stuck the piccy here:

http://www.clivedowie.com/chased.jpg

Note my smooth, fluid movements. Every inch a runner! The Goole run was at the beginning of June and it was soooooo hot. Unlike Scarborough (or anywhere else in the UK) is likely to be in December. At least in the winter you can wrap up warm. I definitely struggle when its too hot. I did a 10K training run this evening and although it was cold to start with it was dry and not too windy so it was actually pretty good.
  • Options
    Nice photo HB, I love it when people take snaps as you are coming down hill. For some reason our club always tend to stand at the very top and snap me as I'm crawling at the top.
  • Options
    Fab pic HB. You look like you were enjoying it anyway.
    Kit Girl. My other half always seems to take piccies as I run (or at least move - not run) downhill, and they ALWAYS look terrible. Teeny stride. Brakes on. etc.
    I always look really rubbish, like I'm not going very fast and everyone else is striding around me.....
    Hmm. Perhaps it would be the same if he took a piccie on the flat.
  • Options
    Just read through the thread after considering this run - did we get a definitive answer to the universal entry form or sending off for one question ?
  • Options
    Rincewind, I dont think we did.
    Nothing gets past you does it?
    Go on, try a universal form, see if you get in...
  • Options
    Cheers Cat.
    I've took the bull by the horns, well nearly, and sent an SAE off for the entry form.
    Next brave bit will be to fill it in !
  • Options
    I got running number today - 355.

If you see me slacking just give me a prod. I would really love to finish a 10K in 55 minutes before the end of the year. My PB is 57 minutes which I achieved only two Sundays ago at the Haltemprice 10K in Hull. However, my tactics (run as fast as you can uphill for a couple of miles at the beginning) were not too clever so I am hoping for some improvement when I manage to pace it right.

I have got 4 chances left:
    16th Nov Matthew Walker 10K (Heanor)
    30th Nov Leeds Abbey Dash 10K
    14th Dec Christmas Cracker 10K
    21st Dec Selby Bypass 10K

The Leeds Abbey Dash is supposed to be fairly fast & flat but I could well mess that up by overdoing it at the Clowne Half Marathon on 23rd November.

I have not been able to find a race within travelling distance for next Sunday. Maybe I will do a proper training run for a change!
  • Options
    HB. Lets see if I can beat you on this one! Race you. 55 mins eh?
  • Options
    Aw no!

Heavy Breather is 355 and the race limit is 400... panic panic! Sent off for a form but not entered yet - scared!!!! I've got to make a decision whether to go for it or not. Will I look stupid if I come in at 45 mins? Which incidentally would be a brill time for me... panic panic!

What do you think? All these times are well scarey. You lot are so much further on than me, oodles faster.
  • Options
    Tortoise obviously giggling too much to notice that me and HB are aiming for 55 minutes.

Must send off my form too. Yikes!...
  • Options
    Oh blow! Typed in the time wrong! 45 minutes my foot! I wish! Sorry should have read 75 minutes... what ho! what's 30 min between friends..........

regain panic stations!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh Heck - I only sent off for the application form yesterday - could be touch and go too !
    I was definitely scared when Tortoise said 45 mins ! Thought for a second that not getting in may be a good thing !
  • Options
    CtDL I am not sure whether this race will be flat enough for me to achieve my 55-minute goal but I will certainly give it a go.

I must try to run at an even pace this time. In terms of pacing I actually run much more sensibly over 10 miles because I know I have got a long way to go and the only way to get through it is to take it steady. Over 10K I want to rush because I keep thinking that if I start too slowly there won't be much distance left to make up the time.

Well I hope your entry arrives on time otherwise I think I win by default !