Options

Cortisone

Posted this on the training forum, trying here for more luck..

Not feeling so good at the mo. About to run a marathon in 1 weeks time, and I have been having problems with a tendon on my shin for the last 2 weeks (been resting and taking IBU), but still keeps comming back. So I went to see a physio yesterday and after alot of deliberation about whether I would actually do the marathon next weekend, he injected the area around my tendon (can't remember the name of the tendon, but it is the one that starts on the inside top of your foot and goes right up the lower part of the shin. put your hand on the inside of your big toe and push against it, and the tendon will stick out) with cortisone.

Feeling very nervous and uncomfortable about this, as I always associated cortisone injections with taking away pain from injuries that you should not be running on. I.e. people used it just to "get through" marathons etc.

Still not mentally comfortable about having the injection. Has anybody else had these ? Was it affective ? Any long term affects ?

Should I have said no, and just stopped running for a month ?

Worried....

Cortisone

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cartman

I do quite a lot of joint and soft-tissue cortisone injections, but I don't do lower limb tendons because there is a risk of weakening the tendon, which may rupture. However, such injections are commonly used by sports physicians, and we don't hear of football players or elite runners getting ruptured tendons - the risk is much higher in the inactive, predominantly elderly patients that I treat.

Realistically, the risk of rupture after a single dose of cortisone is very low, and I think in your position, a week away from a marathon and with all the training already done, I'd have done anything to get to the finishing-post, including a steroid injection around a painful tendon.

I hope it works, and would strongly advise you to rest and let it recover properly after the marathon.