Options

bullying at school and how to deal with it

13»

Comments

• Options
    I agree fruity that the confidence gained from a discipline can help more than the physical side but on the other side it can be a source of ridicle and micky taking as well. I was bullied at school by the 'big boys'(it was secondry grammer) because I did boxing. If I didn't I may well have gone unnoticed. But it became a focus for them which started with name calling and then progressed. But confidence can be gained from many things. How many runners feel more confident because they run. There has been lots of good advice on this subject here and I hope that it is resolved in a satisfactory way for 'all' involved.
  • Options
    Hello all - my son is much loved and feels so thankfully. Any ideas how I can boost his confidence with these 'orrors, as he's not very physical and doesn't want to fight back.

This morning the teacher said she was well aware of last fridays incidents, and the the boys in question were then denied their lunchtime play;m and that all the teachers had now been made aware of the situation.
  • Options
    But are you assuming that kids are bullied because they lack confidence? I don't think there is a defining feature of kids that are bullied.

I do think that something like judo is worth trying (if the kid enjoys it) because it might be a solution. I don't really understand your matrix comment earlier - sure you wont become Bruce Lee but a lot of people just panic when threatened physically and if they can overcome that it may (only may) be a solution.
  • Options
    Popsider - i think I don't know what to think at the moment! my brain has turned to mush.
  • Options
    I agree Andrew - it doesn't have to be something like martial arts.

I think some kids (the introverted ones) just don't naturally come across as confident. Even if they are fairly sure of themselves, because they are introverted they just don't "put it out there" in the same way.

Frags - has the school involved the other kids' parents yet?
  • Options
    I don't think so fruity, I'm going to see how the next few days pan out. I think it's only just been brought to the attention of the teachers - so I'm going to give them a chance to sort it out first, then get more serious/demanding if that fails.

Actually Fruits I think you're right - just because #1 son cvan be introverted and quiet, doesn't mean he lacks confidence in himself, he just doesn't like physical fighting and won't fight back.
  • Options
    Yeah I was like that.

Confident in the academic stuff but did not like the idea of getting hurt.
    Therefore wouldn't fight back.

However if I had been told it would stop as long as I fought back and might have taken a knock or two, then I think things would have turned out different.
  • Options
    i think that's the key... victims of bullying tend to 'curl up', thinking it will end sooner that way than if they fight back (evolutionary throwbacks to, eg, young male wolves prostrating themselves before the alpha male)

in fact the opposite tends to be the case, since the bullies will tend to move on...
    the last thing they want is to get hurt themselves
  • Options
    Update time - the school have come down on these boys, eg not being allowed playtime if naughty, and they're being watched all the time. So far there have been no further incidents, and they even asked #1 son if he wanted to be their friend the other day!! (this was after I'd given one of them an evil paddington-style hard stare!)

Well done to the school for handling it all quickly and without fuss, and a big thank-you to all you lot who supported me when I neede it.

xx
  • Options
    excellent news

shurely it would be a yu-gi-oh hard stare rather than a paddington one these days though
  • Options
    So many people I know have been bullied- including myself- and we all seem to have dealt with it differently: some by playing the clown, some putting up with it until they have the confidence to verbally put down the bully and laugh at their attempts (me), some by meeting violence with violence, and one by actually becoming a bully himself (and obviously not advocating that!)

My work mate described her school days to me, and I ended up looking at her in horror and saying 'so you were a bully?'. She had never seen her behaviour in that light before and was quite shocked that it had been construed as such.

Your son sounds a lovely little boy. If things are dealt with in a calm and sensible way, he will come out of this with a self-confidence that will stop others from picking on him. I agree with the orangutan- it can definately become a negative feedback loop resulting in a victim mentality that follows the child around wherever they may end up (and in to adult hood). Good luck with it.
  • Options
    glad to hear its working out.
  • Options
    Fraggle

Thanks for the update, I am really pleased that things look like they are getting sorted out.
  • Options
    Well done, Fraggle. The school's approach sounds sensible. Hope things continue to go well.
  • Options
    Good god , a school that does something

Well doen Fraggs hope things stay okay
  • Options
    Great going Frags, glad to hear that things have worked out and hope they stay that way!
  • Options
    Good news Fraggle
  • Options
    WTIDWTID ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I repeat anything already said as I've not read the whole thread.
    Some options are
    1 tell your child that he must report it to his teacher
    2 Go and see the teacher but not with all guns blazing and tell them of the problem.
    3 Go and see the parents of the bullies and explain the situation.
    4 teach your child to fight back.

The last option may not sit easily with some people but bearing in mind bullies are cowards it is a valid option.
  • Options
    WTIDWTID ✭✭✭
    Just read the last few pages of the thread.
    Glad things are sorted sounds.
    Sounds like my daughter introvert but confident but would not fight back.
    Confidence boosting I'm not sure of if anyone else can provide any tips they would be greatly appreciated, I think martial arts does provide confidence but is not suited to all kids.
  • Options
    There's an interesting looking programme about this on BBC1 tonight if anyone's interested. 10:35pm