Options

Childrens races

The increase in Children's runs at races is welcome - My son can come along on a Sunday morning and get involved. However why do some races insist on doing them at the same time as the main race. This is OK for teenagers and probably from about 10 years old but for my younger son I still prefer to accompany him around the course and that isn't possible if I am running. My wife doesn't consider herself a runner and won't do it. Then again if she was a runner she would probably do the main run as well.

Any other views. Do we think that race organisers should stagger the races. I would think for a 10k, one hour after the the main race start would be OK.

Some events do this but others don't and probably reduce the numbers taking part i nthe Children's event

Comments

• Options
    At the Aldridge Manor House 10K, they had a 1K children's race half an hour before the main race. Jogging round with my littlest child was a great opportunity to warm up. So it can be done!
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    The Poole 10k (beginning of June) has the children's races before the main event. This year my daughter was in the first one and then we had to dash to my parent's house to watch England v Sweden then return so I could do the 10k!
  • Options
    I am involved in helping to organise our club's annual event. The day for me starts at 08:30 (others were there an hour earlier)and we didn't finish till 16:30. And thats for a 7 miler starting at midday. So should I get up earlier, or go home later? It'd be a lot easier if people were as willing to help with the event as they are to take part!! Its the usual moan, you've heard it all before.

But don't get me wrong, my involvement in athletics is coaching juniors and I welcome all opportunities for them to get involved in quality events.
  • Options
    Of course before the race as a warm up is OK as well.

Neon - not complaining about the effort you put in. I am marshalling the London to Brighton this weekend to put something back. 6:45 am start for Marshals at Big Ben although I decided to go for 8am at South Croydon although their longer. As I say for the older children it is a chance to give them something to do while the race is on but for the younger ones it maybe helps to stagger them. Of course if you are short of people to organise then often it is a case of not doing them at all and I understand that. I have also organised public events in the past so I know the 8am to 10pm routine as well (that was only one event per year admittedly.

I was actually interested to hear from anybody who may have organised to see if they think it makes a difference to entries