Options

Between 10 mile run and the start of Hal Higdon

Hi there, I am a beginner to running. I started the Couch 2 5k programme in July, and have since worked my way up gradually to the 10 mile Great South Run race which I took part in yesterday. My time was slow (2 hours) but as an overweight beginner, I was overjoyed to just complete the race. A friend and I have just signed up to the Edinburgh Marathon at the end of May. I'm not sure if I have given myself enough time to train properly, but again I'm not aiming for a time, just to finish. I like the look of the Hal Higdon novice training programme to prepare for my first marathon, but that will not start until the end of January. Any advice on how I should continue my training between now and then in order to be as prepared as possible for the task ahead? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

You have three months (or roughly 13 weeks) until the Higdon plan starts.  I've had a quick google to see the plan, and the first week is a few 3mile runs plus a long run of 6 miles.  So , as a minimum, you want to make sure you are good enough shape to run six miles without stopping at the start of the plan.

If you've been using training schedules to help with your running and to keep you motivated, you could follow a plan for a fictional 10k or preferably a half-mara in the interim period.  As this period will include Xmas etc, you may want to find a 10 week plan for the 13 weeks, so you can skip a week or two and not feel guilty.