Options

Overtraining

After a hard year of training and racing (both running and triathlon) combined with a stressful job. I showed all the signs of overtraining (about 6 weeks ago) - most notably insomnia. I suspect my body was in cortisol overproduction. Hence I have taken 6 weeks off with little exercise - however although I'm starting to feel better and the sleep is very slowly coming back. I'd like to know if anyone has any tips to help my body along the recovery road - e.g. will gentle weight training, sauna, swimming help or is it best to just stop altogether.

Comments

• Options
    Warren, gentle exercise would be fine as long as you don't get carried away and start pushing your body to its limits again...very tempting! Now and again I treat myself to a session in a Turkish bath...very relaxing. I keep meaning to have a massage as well but never seem to have the time (or if I have time, don't have the money!)
  • Options
    Warren

As you start back into you training remember that prevention is always better than cure!

With this in mind always schedule at least one full day off a week, where you do no training at all (no active recovery, not even running for a bus)

Also aim to have an easier week every forth week or so, where you cut bock on the number and intensity of your sessions.

Good luck

Will