Options

club worries

Hi Guys,
Did the GSR last weekend and now want to keep up with the running through the winter, problem is i run by myself and when it gets dark i do less and less then stop, until light again.
So i have thought about joining a club. To be honest im very nervous about this, due to being a slow runner and the routines, what if they run more times than i feel i can a week ? Do you just turn up at a club ? I have found one in my area called Bearbrook Joggers. Any of you know it ?

All advice welcome...

Comments

• Options
    I had exactly the same worries about joining a club.
    I finally took the plunge and went along for the club run about 2 weeks before I ran the GTN.
    Wish I'd done it sooner, all the members are really friendly and encouraging. My running has improved no end.....

My advice....DO IT !!!!
  • Options
    I delayed joining a club for 5 years because of similar worries - and now I regret all that lost time.

I did my homework by asking around about the local clubs, then contacting the organisers to ask yet more questions - ruled out the one that seemed full of super-athletic hardmen, and chose the one that had a running group just slightly faster than me, with a mix of urban and crosscountry running routes.

It has been great - it gets me out after work, and will do throughout the winter. I now see friendly faces from the club at local races, where before, it had all been rather a solitary experience.

Go, on - take the plunge !

• Options
    can only echo the above responses. I think most non super-fast runners have similar concerns before they join a club, mainly concerns about being able to keep up. I certainly did, but you shouldn't worry as all clubs will have runners of all abilities and you will find they will make you feel welcome and not only will this give you motivation but your running will improve. And you'll make new friends to boot.

I can honestly say joining a running club is the best thing i've done this year.
  • Options
    i agree with you all i started running in jan 03 having packed up smokin 60 fags a day was was overweight sarted to run at my local gym which was 2mins on a treadmill but was determined to carry on built my self up to about 50 mins over the coming months as the weight was coming off i entered a local 10kin june 03 and did it in 55.42 and was well chuffed with my self now since then i have joined a local club and have done 2 half marathons and about 7 10ks and a couple of 10 mile races joining a club has given the momentum to carry on running once you get over the initial stigma of going for the first time it gets better when i first started i got lost about 3 times because i didnt know the area but now i show new members whare to go
  • Options
    Good going Goldeneye.

Thats about a race a week isn't it?

When I know where I am going to live for more than a few months, will seek out a club.
  • Options
    I've run Bearbrook's 10k race a couple of years ago and they seemed a nice bunch. Why not get in contact and try them out asking which the best night to come along for someone of your standard is. Nearly every club will let you come along for a couple of weeks before you decide to commit or not.
  • Options
    Thanks guys will try and pluck up the courage to drop then a line tommrrow then.

You all seam very positive towards the clubs.

J ;0)
  • Options
    echo all of the above

I have just started going to a club near where I live (2 weeks now!), I can already see the benefits of being a member and think that I will keep it up for sure :o)
  • Options
    If you can run 10 miles you'll more than survive at any club.
  • Options
    Thanks Barnsley runner,
    Makes me feel very proud of my efforts how ever slow. ;0 )
  • Options
    does not matter how fast or slow you are o neale its the taking part and enjoying what you do that counts
  • Options
    I'm joining my first running club this Tuesday, a little nervous. I do actually prefer running on my own though, but going to give it a try. Be handy for the dark evenings too, although I love running on my own in the dark, but not very safe.
  • Options
    Not looking to positive, ive not had a responce from my e mail to them, so a little nervouse to ring them now. Although i might have e mail problems.
  • Options
    O, most running club websites are updated or read only every couple of weeks or so. It's usually run by one enthusiast who fits it around his or her work and training.

Wouldn't worry about that.

Maybe go down one club night and introduce yourself. Go out with an appropraite group.

No one will `drop' you, it just isn't done.
  • Options
    You will wonder why you didn't join earlier. Nothing beats running with clubmates; running on your own can demotivate. As regards which club, most will let you 'try' them out. It took me almost 2 years to finally settle on a club,
    DCD
  • Options
    And we're honoured by your presence treadmill!
  • Options
    Hi Guys,
    I have had a reply and they sais they go running in a Tuesday and a Fridays. They run 6-7 miles a time. Little nerved by this as i genrally run about 4 miles a go.

Shall i up my distance for a week and see if i can cope then go see them, or just go for it and meet up Tuesday ?

What do you think guys ?
  • Options
    Just go for it on Tues!

Running with others you will not notice the extra couple of miles - plus it will be good for you. Just make one of your solo sessions a little gentler to compensate for the extra distance until you get used to it.

Post back and let us know how you get on...

:o)
  • Options
    also - Blonde Runner - I love running alone, but running in a group is alot easier IMO, almost like the work is shared in a way. Plus you are right - it is safer.
  • Options
    Thanks Rene, ill mail them and let them know i will be there on Tueaday then.
  • Options
    Hi
    I have read some of your fears about joining a club. I belong to a club called Striders of Croydon, we have a policy of turnig back ever so often to pick up the slower runners in the 3 years i have belonged to them we have never lost a member of the club. If you live near croydon look us up
    paul
  • Options
    Thanks Paul.

But im in a Aylesbury so a bit of a way to get to croydon , but thanks.

~I have mailed the club back and plan to join them for a run on the 28th (Tuesday). That way i get a chance to up my miles in the week before.