Options

10k less than 45min...how?

Any advice on how to break the 45 min barrier for 10k. Have reduced 10k time from 50min to 46 min in a year and struggling on last. Would like to achieve by end of year?

Comments

• Options
    Practice, practice, practice my friend...

Maybe a bit of speed work once a week?

:o)
  • Options
    What speedwork would you recommend?
  • Options
    I would suggest you do interval reps (1 very slow jog between reps) e.g. start week 1 with 8 x 5 mins, week 2 7 x 6 mins, week 3 10 x 4 mins, week 4 12 x 3 mins, week 5 do split time intervals e.g. 6 mins, 8 mins, 6 mins, 4 mins, 2 mins, 4 mins, 6 mins.

Each split should be run at your max pace, but you should hold enough back so you have the strength so that you can run an equal pace for each interval (hope that makes sense)

If your running 4 sessions a week id advise doing 1 5-8 mile staeady (endurance), a 5 mile at your race pace, a session of interval / speed work and a fartlek / hill session.

Speedwork is basically placing with speed (fartlek included).

I am using this method at the moment and you can see pretty drastic improvements, they key is to push yourself in the speed sessions - oh before you start your actual speed reps do a 5-10 minute slow warm up and remeber to cool down and do stretches after.

For other info try having a look at a RW sub 40min 10k training schedule.
  • Options
    Was meant to say 1 min slow job between reps.
  • Options
    Very easy, you will get there soon. Forget all the speedwork and hill reps, for that level this is not really necessary. Practice the pace on the treadmill until it becomes routine, possibly will be there in 1-2 weeks time.
  • Options
    Im no expert but my experience is with distance running apologies if my advise is misleading - im sure other posters / URR will clarify

PS. URR im not implying you were criticising me im sure you wernt im just qualifying my comment as I dont want to mislead the poster.
  • Options
    Thanks Carl .. schedules helpful....I'll give it a go. Been doing around 20 miles per week trying to mix speedwork and steady runs but seem to have plateaued. Ju So not sure, urban road runner, that 2 weeks is on!!!!
  • Options
    10k 45min can already run a 10k in 46 mins. Hence, he is already very close to 45 mins in fact if he would race next Sunday he would possibly achieve his goal.

In terms of running 45 mins for a 10k is not really fast (7:15min/mile). Running a few sessions on the treadmill will get you quickly there, eg, try 3 miles in 21 minutes or 4 miles in 28 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend special speedwork/hill reps (injury!) at that level. Once you are aerobically developed and have a solid base then I would add speedwork.

Obviously training is a highly individual topic and there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
  • Options
    Thanks urban, had assumed incorporating speedwork from the beginning but from what you're saying steady improvements will come from developing a solid base.
  • Options
    It may not be that fast for you URR...

I'm too trying to break the 45min barrier - run about 40-45 miles a week with 2 or 3 speed sessions weekly, one long run (15+ miles) and one or two treadmill sessions a week.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually 10k45min! Good luck!
  • Options
    Donna,

Thanks for the encouragement!! I think urr is right about the solid base but for me less than 7:30 per mile is very fast over 10k!!

How close are you to 45 mins? Sounds as if you're really committed at that level of mileage.
  • Options
    When I got back to running I did my first 10k in 52:30, then I did my second one in 47, then my third in 42...

All you need to do is focus on getting your training runs quicker. Work on getting faster at shorter distances and going for longer runs too.

This, along with your determination will see you through!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Jon
  • Options
    Jon,

You make it sound easy but.....what was the time gap between the runs though?

I started again in sept 2002 and over the past year run around 20-25 miles per week mixed speedwork and steady runs with some long runs. 10k time since dec 2002 has improved from 47:49 to 46:05 - seems slow progress to me................
  • Options
    4 years and 3.5 stone.

SPEED SESSIONS... That's the key.

Join a club that works on a track. Just stay positive as I said... I'm on 40:44 and have been for a year now. The only thing stopping me from getting past that is my stupid head!

Running is a psychological game of personal cat and mouse. Remember that and you will win. I know I will!

J
  • Options
    Oh sorry, misread.

First 10k July 2001
    Second 10k Sept 2001
    Third 10k July 2002
  • Options
    So come on Jon, when are going to break that 40min barrier.....it's been over a year now :) !!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    One other thought 10K/45min, as Jon touched upon, do you belong to a club? One of the most surefire ways to improve is to join a club and try to keep up with those runners who are a little faster than you. One guy in our club who tried this went from a 2 hour half marathon to a 1:32 in the space of two years.

Good luck in your endeavours.
  • Options
    I am not in a running club and managed to get down to 35:43. Instead of driving to the track, change, run, change again and drive back, I would better invest the time in a longer run, maybe in hilly terrain.

Once your aerobic base improves, speed comes automatically.
  • Options
    hello again urr - can you tell me more about improving aerobic base....sounds easy!!!
  • Options
    The easiest way to improve your time is to find a fast course - assuming your bests aren't already set on fast courses. Caythorpe 10k at Xmas will see you under 45.
  • Options
    10K 45min,

You seem to be getting some well-meaning but apparently contradictory advice ("speedwork is key"; "speed follows from aerobic base").
    Keep your training schedule balanced and you should be able to accommodate ALL the good suggestions made above. You can both improve your aerobic base (in your case, look to push your weekly mileage beyond 30) and do some useful speedwork - say, once a week. Hills? Yes if possible; great for strength. Join a club? Desirable, but not necessary.
    I would suggest your speedwork be aimed at getting used to running significant distances at or just outside 7 minute mile pace. Possible sessions might be: 4 or 5 x 1 mile in 7:00 to 7:10, off 2-3 mins jog recovery; or maybe 2 x 2 miles each in, say 14:30 or less with a 5 minute jog recovery in between.
  • Options
    popsider,

I think you're right - did my best 10k on a track 25 laps on my own - tough. Where is caythorpe by the way (sorry..!)

Mike s,

Sounds achievable, particularly the 2x2 miles as I did a 5k twice in around 21:15 and managed to be around 13:50 for the first 2m.

• Options
    should have known that as spent nearly 10 years near sherwood some time ago
  • Options
    My understanding of speedwork is to run very fast sub 6min/miles speed. Everything 7min/miles+ is for my understanding still aerobic. That's why I recommend to first work on the fundamentals and then inject some real speed.

You can improve your aerobic base by running at 60-75% of your maximum heart rate. I would recommend runs for 1h - 1hr 10mins. The concept of racing faster by training slower sounds a bit strange. However, it all makes sense. Your muscles and joints have to develop slowly and the gained strength will be benefical in your races. With increases aerobic base you will be able to run faster by maintaining the same heart rate, hence you will run longer in your aerobic zone, get less fatigued and end up with a faster time.