Options

Heart rate Monitor - training zones

Can someone give some advice please?

Ive just blown the cobwebs off my Cardio sport watch that ive never really used. As im intending doing a Marathon and Ironman I think I better get into some structered training.

1) How do I work out my max heart rate (I know there is an equation but cant seem to find it)

2) I am doing 4 runs per week, what training zones i.e. % of my heart-rate should I be training at for? The runs are:

a) Long stamina (8-10 at present building to 15-22)

b) Medium distance at race speed (3-6 at present building to 8-13)

c) Speedwork/interval training

d) Slow recovery run (2-5 at present building to 5-10)

3) If anyone has any other useful information, links to other posts or websites please post accordingly.

4) If you have any other comments or suggestions i.e. about the structure of my running training please let me know.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I use the Heart Monitor Training for Compleat Idiots by John L Parker available from Amazon. Explains it all and how to use it.
    Doing a max HR test is the most accurate way to work it out. Various formulae are available but give differing figures:
    eg: 220 - age
    209- (0.5 x age)
    There are others but i won't confuse you too much!
    Generally the HR zones are:
    under 70% for recovery runs
    75% for marathon
    80% for 1/2 M
    85% for 10km
    95-100% for 1 mile

These are all percentages of working heart rate.
  • Options
    Carl you dont need to do a test just keep an eye on your monitor for your runs and note what you are working at and compare it with your perceived exertion for the session. Long runs should feel easy and you should be able to hold a conversation or talk to yourself (but not sing). The amount you can talk will decline as you work harder. Threshold stuff should be broken sentences or words as you will notice a marked increase in your breathing. Intervals depends on the interval length. Heart rate is not a good guide at high intensity as it lags behind the actual effort. After a while you should notice a pattern between the way you feel and the different intensities that way you are listening to your body and not becoming a slave to the Monitor.
  • Options
    it can all depend an you LT

You can base your zones on persentages of you LT which gives a different set of zones yet again

This is good if like me you have a verry high LT - i average over 90%mhr for a 10k