Options

Tibial Stress Fracture Help

Hi All,

I took up running only 2 years ago after being badgered into running a half marathon.  Clearly I loved it and carried on running.  I would run 5 or 6 times a week, but only about 6 or 7 miles.

In july this year  felt a really sharp pain in my right shin, which to cut a long story short was diagnosed as a 'grade 3 incomplete tibial stress fracture' by MRI scan.  I was told not to run for 4 or 5 months, and even then only to run a mile, and increase distance by 10% a week.

I tried to return to running last week.  Running the mile was pain free (although I was aware of the shin, but i think this was my brain playing tricks on me).  However, whilst not painful, the injury site felt 'strange' for a day or 2 after the run.  I left itt for a couple of weeks and tried again, with exactly the same results, pain free run, left feeling strange for a couple of days after.

Its hard to describe the feeling after the run.  Its not painful as such, has no affect on my mobility, but just does not feel right.  This feeling goes away after 48 hours or so.  What do I do, carry on my return to running, or stop again?

Thanks all