Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

1299300301302303305»

Comments

• Options

that's brilliant DA! Great PB and an amazing feeling!!!

2018? For me its nailing a marathon PB, a new distance (50 miler) then go short and try and improve either PB's (8 years old) or failing that get my best 'current times' (times achieved in last 3 years).

What are your thoughts? Sub 3.15 would be great.  Are you in the 41-50 bracket as its GFA for London if you were to pop over in the next couple of years.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Rob, fantastic achievement. A great blog as well. It sounds like you coped amazingly well with everything it threw at you, even if I'm sure it didn't feel that way at times on day 3!

DA - great marathon! You're just getting quicker and quicker! I saw Rob mentioned GFA for London, though think that only applies if you are a UK resident.

I've just been getting out when I can the last couple of weeks since I last posted - did 8 miles easy on my club run on Weds 4th, felt really good and came in just under 8 min miling which is about where I want to be for an easy flattish run at the moment. Then hoped to get out at the weekend, finally got a window on Sunday evening but after a mile had GI issues so had to abort and head home to the loo. As I hadn't done much I decided to cycle to work on Monday, which is 17 each way and takes me just under 90 mins at a comfortable pace. Then had a squash match Tuesday night, which was quite tough and really took it out of my legs. Legs were a bit sore after that so took it nice and easy on my club run on Weds, about 8:45s for 8 miles, but felt better for it. They still felt a bit stiff cycling to the train station and back the rest of the week, but by Saturday were ok again. Then I got out last night for a faster run, hoped to do 9k at under 7 min miles (given I recently ran my 10k at 6:45ish avg), but set off a little fast and couldn't hold on to the pace, so stopped at 8k. Still fairly pleased to have got a hard effort in, the challenge will be to do it on a more regular basis.
  • Options

Nick-  your right about GFA my bad forgot it was only Uk res! Maybe could get around if DA has a British passport and a UK address to get things sent?

Well done for ticking over, any plans or just too hectic now with a daughter?

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I have plans, but all are subject to change. I have a few potential races that I've got an eye on, but not really planning more than about a week in advance at the moment. Main one being Milton Keynes marathon next year, but will decide properly in Feb/March time. In the short term I'm aiming for my week to look something like 8 miles easy, 5 miles hard, 3 miles easy, plus 1 squash match. Plus 20 mins easy cycling every weekday morning and evening to and from the train station. If I can manage that for a few weeks then I'll try and build on it for MK training, initially targeting 3:15 unless things go really well.
  • Options

.. your right about GFA my bad forgot it was only Uk res! Maybe could get around if DA has a British passport and a UK address to get things sent?

Yep - with a UK passport (albeit one that needs renewing shortly), UK drivers licence and my parents address in Hampshire I'd find a way to use a GFA for sure. But I'm not there yet. I may have knocked 20 minutes off the marathon PB in 2017, but I have a feeling its going to get a lot harder to take much more off! Those next 3 minutes for London GFA or 13 minutes for New York GFA are still a long way off!
  • Options
    DA you done brill this year, it will be tough to knock more time off, hope it happens!

Managed Stort 30, 15 miles out and then back along the river, very pleasant day, no target other than the distance and to have a chat with a mate whilst running.  not bad checkpoints for the price we paid.  finished in 4hr 52 now to rest for November (alot in the gym and treadmill) before starting training for Manchester.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Rob, like how run-of-the-mill you make a 30 mile race sound lol. Probably a good idea to have a few easy weeks before making a start on the Manchester training.

I've been ticking over, mostly getting to my 8 mile club runs on Wednesdays and the odd lunchtime 5k jog. Made it to parkrun last weekend, and scored a pleasing 19:59 although didn't have my barcode :(

We have this week purchased a running buggy, so will be trying that out this weekend. Probably a short run with my wife as well as she is keen to try and get back into running, she had briefly started before getting pregnant and got up to doing a few parkruns. I plan to try and experiment a little bit with fitting in some more runs around work over the next few weeks, possibly some double days eg 6k jog in morning and 6k hard on way home, should only take about 5 mins longer than cycling to get home if I'm running hard. Though would need to leave about 15 mins earlier in the morning.
  • Options
    Hello everyone ! I am back ! How is everyone, need to go back and have a quick look through recent posts !  
    So I have had a very busy few months since London ! I did my first Ultra, the Chiltern Challenge 50k but obviously ended up being over ! I loved it :)  I have also been racing a lot road and more recently trail and this combined with regular goo training means I am slowly getting back to the form of 2015 where I PBd at everything until I got injured after london last year . 8 months of little or lazy training meant for a very hard 4 months mara training earlier this year and a lucky 3.52 time .... 
    So I ran a 21.16 park run last saturday and thought Id test the water with a longish road run yesterday, hid the watch and ran 9 at comfortable pace followed by 2 pushing at the higher end of comfortable ... came out at 7.45 ave :) so all looking VERY promising as not run that pace over that distance for 18 months !

This means I shall be looking forward to VLM again in April, I will train hard again with coach Lock but am putting no pressure on myself for a time, what will be will be and I have other targets in mind for next year anyway, marathon training will be helping me achieve these later in the year ... I hope !!

How is everyone ?
  • Options

Nick, my mate loves his buggy defo good if you have parkrun that's accessible, not only good for the other half but gives you an alternate pb to aim for!  Great parkrun 19.59 would be gutted to get that and not have my barcode if that was me! I'd also like to get 19.59 maybe if I went to parkrun it would be a start... think I've done one or two this year!  As for Stort 30 being one of those things it really was, it was just a very long run pretty dull but a nice 30 miler in the legs knowing that I can run for no reason other than chicken nuggets and a medal.

Washwood, you've done some decent mileage this year (just checked Strava) which will hopefully be useful in the legs next year! Then you can achieve another GFA time to set you up for another 2 years!!! 

Had a rest week last week, no running whatsoever!  Legs and myself needed it.  I've got myself a 4 week plan drawn up with some speed sessions included just to get my legs moving after plodding for the last 6 months.  I actually hate 10k but going to meet with mates before/ after so the social side won it for me.  Sub 45 would be a good aim, not been sub 45 for a couple of years so gives me something to aim for. 

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    washwood - nice to see you back, sounds like you're back loving your running again :)

Rob - if it was a PB I'd have been quite annoyed I think, still my 3rd best time but hey ho can't change it. I find 10k tough as well, I struggle with the pacing as often feel terrible after 2-3k of a hard run but then get a second wind later on if I can hang in there.

We got out on Sunday morning for a short run with the new buggy, my wife came along too so we only did a short run/walk for about 30 mins, we were at around 11 min mile pace for the run part. Would prob go a little faster by myself but not loads - not sure I'd do anything above easy pace with the buggy. The buggy itself I found pretty good, easy to steer and lift the front wheel (for getting over kerbs) and not overly heavy. Plus my daughter slept practically the whole time which was a win.

I also managed to jog the 3.5 miles to the train station this morning at about 8:30 pace, will be using the run home this evening as a speed session.
  • Options

Hope people are running well?

Having a bit of a break, only ran 50/60 miles so far this month.  Only 8 miles short of 1500 (2016 total).

Have a 10k in a couple of weeks which will hurt and be a shameful time, then start training for Manchester marathon and NDW50.